closed canopy tour?

teacup754

I emaied Bay Islands Resort for information on doing the canopy tour and some snorkling through them. i got a reply that we wouldn't be able to do the canopy tour because it is closed to walk up non-ship people when a ship is in port. Has anyone been there recently? I don't see it offered by the ship as a tour so I'm not sure about this....

We did the Canopy tour in Roatan last week and it was great. We had a family of 6 do it while Mom passed (5 kids 16-24, plus me the Dad) and just rented a car and driver and teenage guide at the dock for $15 each passenger (7 of us) for the whole day. Drivers and vans get cheaper as you walk further from the ship. VERY cheap ($10 each) if you want to negotiate outsid the guarded dock gate. We took the last van inside the gate so were not too hassled. They drove us straight from the Carnival cruise ship dock up the road to the start of the tour at a high point of the Island near the West End. We waited about 20 min for the Canopy operators to arrive, as ship time was an hour ahead of local Island time, and they were not yet opened at about 7:00 AM local time when we arrived. We were joined by 2 other couples, all paid $35 each, and they took us 10 people through as a group. All of us were from the Carnival ship and all of us were walk-up customers.

I guess if we arrived later when the cruise ship tours were there they would have made us wait or told us to leave, but it was no problem going there first thing. As a note, Carnival did NOT have this as a ship tour option, so maybe that is why it was so easy. We researched on the internet and nowhere saw where we could not do this independently. Well worth the money and a whole lot of fun for the kids, much more than the Belize cave tubing was to them which was twice the price.

The whole canopy tour took about an hour and was fun with little danger. We ended up on the beach in some resort that looked very nice. Our driver drove around to meet us there and we then drove 10 min west to the Paradise Resort on the West End beach next to Tabayana beach (where our cruise ship tour actually ended up). It is the same beach, just down the sand 50 yards, with a different set of chairs and bar and restaurant. We had to sign into the resort but it cost us nothing... we bought a few drinks which is what they make their money on I guess. Note: our Carnival cruise tour passengers paid $35 each just to be taken to Tabayana Beach for the day. We had all they had (same beach, showers, flush toilet, bar, etc.) plus a driver and private coming/going freedom where we wanted for $15 each. You tell me what is a better value?

Our driver left us there for about 4 hours (10-2) until we requested a pick up while the young tour guide remained near us on the beach, but he just kept to himself. We bought him a virgin Pina Colada to be nice. The kids and wife sunned and snorkeled on this very nice beach, and I did a one tank scuba dive off shore with Banarama located next door to our resort, for about $38 for one tank and a US native dive master (Rod?) to guide me ( I am certified) - great deal! I wanted to pay the $50 each for my kids to do an intro first-time dive with Paradise resort dive shop but they were already out for the day. That was a good price for a discovery dive if you want to do it. Bananarama wanted $75 each, but later said he would have negotiated. Call ahead and reserve to ensure they meet your ship timetable.

We drove back to the dock area and wandered the streets and shops a little before getting back on board. Very nice Island and pretty respectful native people that never were rude in their selling style. I would come back here again.

You might want to double check who you talked with...there are actually two canapy tours....one shorter than the other. The shorter one is for cruise ship passengers. The longer one (11 platforms) is open to the public - $35 for all 11 platforms.....you just need to show up there......unless something has changed in the last few weeks.

I thought since the reply I got was from bay islands resort "director" it would be correct..but maybe not..does anyone know how close this resort is to the canopy tours? maybe that's why they tried to steer me away..if it was too far, I can't do both since our ship is only docked from 12-6.hmmm.

KWW, That is a very interesting review!! Sounds like something we might like to do. How old do the kids have to be on the Canopy Tour?:mine are girls 7,13. Do you think it would be too scary/dangerous for them? Was the zip-line equipment in excellent shape? What did you wife do while you were on the Canopy tour etc.? Was there decent snorkeling at the Beach you went to? I may have more questions and will type them here in the future(as you don't take emails). Thanks so much! We are from Vancouver,B.C.,Canada

7 might be a bit young for the canopy tour. The equipment was in great shape but I don't know if I would have a 7 year old on it. Your very high up in the air at times and you need to be able to control your own speed by grabbing the zip line. My wife didn't go and just went with our driver to a point where a bridge crosses the river that you "fly" over. She watch us from there, then met us at the end. We've been to a lot of tours on a bunch of different islands and this was one of the best times we have ever had.

We've been to Roatan twice, the snorkeling at Tabiana beach was better than 1/2 moon bay.

Thanks danfiveoh for the info. Hmm..I would not feel right about leaving the 7 yr.old with the driver unless there was other people waiting also. Maybe it is something my husband and the oldest could do together. Thanks for the info re:snorkeling at Tab.Beach. Can you do it from the shore easily??

There are so many choices to make!!

Archived