Who is the "average" Alaskan Cruiser?

yerlaw

general max

your trip sounds wonderful. i wish i could take a trip like that also. go to www.bcpassport.com and you will be able to see all there is too do in the great city of vancouver. you can bring up the cruise ship calander and see the ships that will be sailing out the same day as you. they have a wonderful diner cruise i wanted to go on the last time i was there. you might want to try that. have a wonderful time and keep saving that money. you and mrs. max will have a great vacation.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

Agree with others that it probably depends a lot on which cruise line and length of cruise you choose. We chose Radiance of the Seas because it looked more "fun" for our teens. Actually, they chose not to participate in the kids' programs, but still found plenty to do.

There were plenty of older retired folks, but also young couples and families. Not lots of young children (one lady with twin toddlers and an infant - all boys - in a triple stroller. Boy did she look exhausted by the end of the week!). We enjoyed the diversity of people on the Radiance - people from all over the world including lots of Japanese, Indian, British, Australian, Canadian and other nationalities as well as Americans.

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

People ask quit often if young adults, teenager, or even children would like Alaska. The clear answer to that is that it depends on the person. Alaska is centered on nature and native American culture and most people should know if they like nature or history before they ever leave. if an individual goes cruising simply for beaches and thinks a killdeer is related to a elk or mongoose has feathers, then they might not like Alaska cruising.

We are a group of Aussies aged from 24 - 54 and cant wait. Two couples and my daughter and her friend. We are sooo looking forward to it. Anyone going on the /serenade on the 19th sept?

We just got back from our firt Alaskan cruise. When we were planning this trip everybody kept telling us that all we were going to see was old people (we are in our early 40's). When we got on our plane in Orlando we were 2 of about 80 people going on the same tour. I must say we were a litlle worry because the average age was about 65. But whe we got to Anchorage and joined the rest of the tour we had alot of different age scale. On the cruise part of the tour we saw lots of children and teens. But I have to tell you that after 11pm.the ship is like a ghost town, there are still discos open but very few young people in them. We met a lot of wonderful and fun older people.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;11;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

My thoughts on why you will see a generally older crowd on a cruise to Alaska....vs. a Caribbean cruise:

The biggie is: $$$$$$

A cruise to Alaska is more expensive. In general, it is more expensive to fly to the port, and the excursions are way more expensive.

If I am a family of four and I am on a limited budget and I want to explore a cruise....I find that there will be much more dollars involved if my cruise will be to Alaska. So, I choose the Caribbean or Mexico....I cruise...and I have a great time. Maybe I will do the Alaska cruise for my 50th wedding anniversary....when I am 70. icon_biggrin.gif

I am just off the Summit...and my family had the pleasure of sitting with two elderly widows at dinner for two nights. They were such a pleasure and joy! We ran into them throughout the cruise....in ports...and even in the airport returning home. They were precious and really blessed us. icon_wink.gif

Boo's Mom

Even the winds and the waves obey him!

Matthew 8:27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tiggypooo:

I don't know if we're the average Alaskan cruiser but I think that to be able to afford this trip you have to be be somewhat established.

This trip (Serenade June 27th) to us is the trip of a lifetime for myself, my husband and 2 daughters.

We're celebrating 4 milestones with our 50th b'days, my oldest graduating from University and my youngest graduating from high school.

I chose the summer months hoping that there would be families with children, older hopefully, so that my kids will enjoy themselves too.

My oldest says that she's going to bring lots of reading material cause she figures that she'll be in bed by 10pm each night.

She's heard that only old people do this cruise.

I sure hope that she's wrong......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I have a very similar situation like you. My family is taking a cruise on July 24th on the NCL Spirit. We're celebrating my College Graduation (I am 22), my sister's High School Graduation (she's 17), my mom just celebrated her 50th Birthday and my dad -- well, he's 55 going on 56...LOL! That's partially our reason for taking the Alaskan Cruise and plus we've been told by many people that Alaskan cruises are the best. Also, my dad's friend from Minnesota has been on over 100 cruises (believe it or not!) and suggested Alaska as well.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;07;24;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Alaskan Spirit Cruise

July 24, 2004 - July 31, 2004

Our party includes four families, adults ages 42 - 50 and kids ages 5 - 12. We can't wait. I know that for us this is an expensive trip - we have two connecting balcony rooms, and we are doing quite a few excursions. But I have been saving for this since December!

Archived