Scuba and "Open Waters"

In2why

Ugggh. I just saw the movie last night and now I can guanrandamntee you that scuba and me will not happen. My oldest son had it on when I was on the computer so I got drawn in. It reminds me of being about 8 and seeing Jaws right before we moved to Miami. Stupid stupid thing to watch.

So does anyone else get themselves freaked out by things they see or hear about and then make choices for their cruise excursions?

The Island looked like pictures I have seen of St. Thomas maybe? I looked at the credits trying to see if it would say where it happened but it didn't....hmm.

Well I guess they make you sign the tour waivers for a reason.

Ugggh. I just saw the movie last night and now I can guanrandamntee you that scuba and me will not happen. My oldest son had it on when I was on the computer so I got drawn in. It reminds me of being about 8 and seeing Jaws right before we moved to Miami. Stupid stupid thing to watch.

So does anyone else get themselves freaked out by things they see or hear about and then make choices for their cruise excursions?

The Island looked like pictures I have seen of St. Thomas maybe? I looked at the credits trying to see if it would say where it happened but it didn't....hmm.

They were actually showing "Open Water" on the ships a couple of years ago. Didnt stop me from my dive.:)

True story. I think it happened in Australia

I do not dive but my daughter does. We were on a cruise together and she booked a dive. It was after that movie came out and I was freaked out. Also thought of her alone, not paired with someone on the dive, and of Natalie Holliway the missing girl from Aruba. She assured me she would make contact with other on the dive. Well true to her word she did and it was verified by numerous people coming up to me when her and I were together and telling me how they watched out for her. Although she is an adult, as her mother I still worry and I am sure will forever.

Saw the movie and Open Water 2, both do draw you in but they have not kept me from my dives. Use caution. Know where you dive, always let someone know where that place it and a time frame, who is the dive master and trust your instincts.

Filmed in Bahamas

It may have been filmed in the Bahamas but as I recall there were a couple of shots (just aerials, no people) of Trunk Bay on St. John. I could be thinking of a different movie tho.

As an experienced diver, this film is just funny as hell. They were idiots. I get on a dive boat I talk to the dive master and the captain! I set out a big orange towel on the gear that I leave on board where it can be seen. Some one would go Hmm.. where did he go! If I feel at all weird about the way the dive master is acting I'll keep my eye's on him the whole dive and not get too far from him. I've never had a problem on any of the boats. We alway's make sure we have a dive buddy and take a count before we go down. Before we leave an area the Captian will take a head count, the dive master will take a head count and so will some of the other divers. The only way I see something like this is if a medical emergancy happened and ever one panicked. Even then that's why you alway's follow the dive master and keep aware of those around you.

David

Stacy - I know these movies can freak you out but diving is one of the most incredible and relaxing sports that i've done. I was never a good swimmer and never thought that being a certified diver was in the making. That was until I met my wife and we went to the Fla. Keys for a vacation together. To make a long story short we got certified together and are so happy we did. I've had BIG reef shark swim within several feet from me and nurse sharks laying on the bottom of the ocean for me to swim up to. That's incredible! I don't care what Jaws or any other movie shows most attacks come from people being stupid. Oh, one of the first things that you learn when diving is always dive with a "buddy".

Diving is awesome!

Ugggh. I just saw the movie last night and now I can guanrandamntee you that scuba and me will not happen.

If you see movies of plane crashes, or boat sinking, or car accidents, would they stop you from getting on an airplane or boat/cruise, or driving? There are also lots of true incidents of cars hitting pedestrians, but I'll still walk across the street.

I saw the movie. Yes it was a true story, but it was something to learn from. It was a combination of irresponsible dive op in how they keep track of divers, in a big boat with many divers, and a case where those 2 divers did not follow any DM for a guided dive. If you want to go your own, then it is even more important there is a DM (dive master) who knows about it and will keep track of you.

I'm a diver. I'd always make sure the Dive Master knows my name. I always try to go on guided dives (following a DM), and always make sure I have a buddy. There are lots and lots of divers still diving, and taking the pre-cautions as you are supposed to.

Stacy - I guess you won't want this as one of your smileys: 5.gif

ROFLMAO.....uh NO!

To really make myself look like an idiot.....after seeing Jaws the only way I would go in the water was if people were farther out than I was. I figured the shark was lazy and would snack on them first giving me time to get back on shore!

Yep I'm with you! I was reading a book one night and my hubby started to watch Open Water. So then that goof falls asleep and I am drawn into the movie. I just couldn't bring myself to turn it off. Ironically, we were heading to the Bahamas only days later. And I saw here that it was shot at Stuarts Cove. So needless to say, I am TERRIFIED of going scuba diving and even snorkeling now.

I may be chicken but I am not shark meat. :p

;) When diving, you never know what might happen. Around eight or nine years ago, my wife and I booked a SHOREX through HAL for a two tank drift dive in Cozumel. I don't remember the name of the operator, or boat, but there were probably fourteen divers aboard. When I showed our dive cards to the divemaster, my guess was he thought this was one buddy pair he didn't need to worry about. We were the last buddy pair in the water, and as soon as we were in the water, the dive master signaled to descend. At around 15 feet, my wife had trouble clearing her left year. We did all the tricks in the book, but the ear was completely blocked. The rest of the dive group just keep descending to the reef wall at around 75 feet, and the divemaster never looked back. The whole group faded away in the distance. I gave her the ascent signal, and we headed to the surface. Low and behold, the dive boat was nowhere to be found. In fact, there were no boats anywhere in t a half mile of where we were, and the current, which normally runs along the wall at depth, was pulling us away from the wall on the surface. Although we waved and shouted, it was apparent, no one saw or heard us. I remember saying to my wife, "I wonder what Cuba is like this time of year".

Finally, about a half hour after we surfaced, a sportfisherman was coming toward our direction, and we started waving and shouting. Someone on board must of seen us waving, and it slowed down and circled us. One of the crew onboard asked us where our boat was, and I gave them the name of the boat, and told them they were supposed to be following the diver's bubbles on a drift dive. I asked them to call our boat on their radio, and have them come and pick us up. They asked to bring us aboard, but I told them I always get back aboard the boat that brought me, and to radio the dive boat to come and get us. After another twenty minutes or so, with the fisherman hanging around us, our dive boat finally showed up. There was a heated exchange between the dive boat crew and the fishing boat crew as we climbed back on board. Of course, the divemaster started in on me about leaving the group, but when I told him what happened, and asked if he did a head count on the bottom, he kind of shut up pretty quick. I informed him that we were returning to the dock now. The boat driver took some exception to my expectation, but when I asked him why he left us behind, and why when we surfaced we didn't see the boat which we should have if he were actually following the diver's bubbles along the wall, he also kind of shut up.

We told the HAL SHOREX desk about our experience when we got back aboard ship, but never heard anything else about it. That was the last time we ever booked a dive excursion in Cozumel with any cruiseline.

Is there a moral to this story? I guess, when diving you just never know what might happen. Were we scared? I don't think scared was the word, more like pissed. I remember talking over should we drop their freaking weight belts!!!! which we never did, and what would happen if the cruise ship left with out us. Did we think of sharks.....not once. Did it put us off diving? Not in the least.;)

It's a MOVIE. It has a SCRIPT.

True enough.... But it is based on a true story..... Albeit a stretch on the truth but none the less.....

However, having said that..... It didn't stop me from getting certified.....lol....I saw it Jan 05, got cert. in May 05.... It's awesome down there.. But on my first few dives with my buddy after getting certified, I wanted to bring an 8X10 photo and place it on my dive station and then tell the divemaster to make sure this person always got back on.....lol.... :rolleyes: But I didn't:D

;) When diving, you never know what might happen. Around eight or nine years ago, my wife and I booked a SHOREX through HAL for a two tank drift dive in Cozumel. I don't remember the name of the operator, or boat, but there were probably fourteen divers aboard. When I showed our dive cards to the divemaster, my guess was he thought this was one buddy pair he didn't need to worry about. We were the last buddy pair in the water, and as soon as we were in the water, the dive master signaled to descend. At around 15 feet, my wife had trouble clearing her left year. We did all the tricks in the book, but the ear was completely blocked. The rest of the dive group just keep descending to the reef wall at around 75 feet, and the divemaster never looked back. The whole group faded away in the distance. I gave her the ascent signal, and we headed to the surface. Low and behold, the dive boat was nowhere to be found. In fact, there were no boats anywhere in t a half mile of where we were, and the current, which normally runs along the wall at depth, was pulling us away from the wall on the surface. Although we waved and shouted, it was apparent, no one saw or heard us. I remember saying to my wife, "I wonder what Cuba is like this time of year".

Finally, about a half hour after we surfaced, a sportfisherman was coming toward our direction, and we started waving and shouting. Someone on board must of seen us waving, and it slowed down and circled us. One of the crew onboard asked us where our boat was, and I gave them the name of the boat, and told them they were supposed to be following the diver's bubbles on a drift dive. I asked them to call our boat on their radio, and have them come and pick us up. They asked to bring us aboard, but I told them I always get back aboard the boat that brought me, and to radio the dive boat to come and get us. After another twenty minutes or so, with the fisherman hanging around us, our dive boat finally showed up. There was a heated exchange between the dive boat crew and the fishing boat crew as we climbed back on board. Of course, the divemaster started in on me about leaving the group, but when I told him what happened, and asked if he did a head count on the bottom, he kind of shut up pretty quick. I informed him that we were returning to the dock now. The boat driver took some exception to my expectation, but when I asked him why he left us behind, and why when we surfaced we didn't see the boat which we should have if he were actually following the diver's bubbles along the wall, he also kind of shut up.

We told the HAL SHOREX desk about our experience when we got back aboard ship, but never heard anything else about it. That was the last time we ever booked a dive excursion in Cozumel with any cruiseline.

Is there a moral to this story? I guess, when diving you just never know what might happen. Were we scared? I don't think scared was the word, more like pissed. I remember talking over should we drop their freaking weight belts!!!! which we never did, and what would happen if the cruise ship left with out us. Did we think of sharks.....not once. Did it put us off diving? Not in the least.;)

WOW! I would have freaked the heck out! I can not believe that a boat would leave the dive site. If there is an emergency I guess you are plain screwed. Thank goodness the fish boat was nearby.

Yea, wow sorry to hear about this. The nice thing about diving is that if you can ascend safely at least your BC will keep you afloat until you're picked up, assuming you're picked up soon.

I've always dove in the Fla Keys and got certified in the keys. I've never once seen the boat captain/dive master want to move the boat to another location without everyone on-board. I hope my DW and I get a reliable dive master in Grand Cayman's at Divers Down when we dive in Dec.

Yea, wow sorry to hear about this. The nice thing about diving is that if you can ascend safely at least your BC will keep you afloat until you're picked up, assuming you're picked up soon.

I've always dove in the Fla Keys and got certified in the keys. I've never once seen the boat captain/dive master want to move the boat to another location without everyone on-board. I hope my DW and I get a reliable dive master in Grand Cayman's at Divers Down when we dive in Dec.

Mikekv,

I used Divers Down in Dec. 2006. My divemasters were Paul & Matty. They were very good. I really like them and would dive with them again.... And they have good jokes......:D

WOW! I would have freaked the heck out! I can not believe that a boat would leave the dive site. If there is an emergency I guess you are plain screwed. Thank goodness the fish boat was nearby.

The currents at Cozumel can move you pretty quickly at times depending where you are diving at. So if the boat is following the main bubble trail, it could get a 1/2 to 1 mile away by the time the group surfaced.

Also the reason I only dive using an operator who takes out 6 or less people. I have a hard time clearing my right ear and takes me about 5 -8 minutes to get down to 45-60 feet. If you have problems let the dive master know ahead of time and they can work with you.

Dave

Yep I'm with you! I was reading a book one night and my hubby started to watch Open Water. So then that goof falls asleep and I am drawn into the movie. I just couldn't bring myself to turn it off. Ironically, we were heading to the Bahamas only days later. And I saw here that it was shot at Stuarts Cove. So needless to say, I am TERRIFIED of going scuba diving and even snorkeling now.

I may be chicken but I am not shark meat. :p

Here's a picture of my DW and DS when they dove with Stuart's Cove.513487738_SharkDive(Nov05)011.jpg.9d7b5291494e31fe25388a4f4452cebb.jpg

Archived