Scooter rentals and safety

In2why

I love the idea of renting scooters for a tour at our own pace of Roatan. My questions are safety, reliability, and especially what you do with the scooter if you go into a place.

Safety---- Are the other drivers dangerous to the people on scooters? I know that lost people on scooters don't help the situation and probably cause the majority of the problems but I do not want to be run over by a taxi racing to get as many fares as possible either.

Reliability----I have looked at Captain Dan's website and will hit Victors after looking at this board. But do they really maintain the vehicles? The last thing I want to do is break down and not get back to the ship on time, or waste half the day waiting for a replacement or repair. We aren't going to be in port long enough to blow off a couple of hours with a break down.

Is there anywhere to park the scooter if you want to shop or get something to eat? With all the poverty described on the boards I would worry someone would take off with the scooter or chase us down the street begging?

Also while I am asking questions....how safe is the Island if you aren't with a guide when it comes to crime or muggings?

Thanks in advance.

I love the idea of renting scooters for a tour at our own pace of Roatan. My questions are safety, reliability, and especially what you do with the scooter if you go into a place.

Safety---- Are the other drivers dangerous to the people on scooters? I know that lost people on scooters don't help the situation and probably cause the majority of the problems but I do not want to be run over by a taxi racing to get as many fares as possible either.

Reliability----I have looked at Captain Dan's website and will hit Victors after looking at this board. But do they really maintain the vehicles? The last thing I want to do is break down and not get back to the ship on time, or waste half the day waiting for a replacement or repair. We aren't going to be in port long enough to blow off a couple of hours with a break down.

Is there anywhere to park the scooter if you want to shop or get something to eat? With all the poverty described on the boards I would worry someone would take off with the scooter or chase us down the street begging?

Also while I am asking questions....how safe is the Island if you aren't with a guide when it comes to crime or muggings?

Thanks in advance.

Just got off the Legend and the ship advises NOT to rent scooters as they can be very dangerous. We sat with a couple at dinner that rented scooters and had no problems. BUT, on our same cruise, a guy was hit on his scooter, broke the scooter right in half!! Thankfully he was ok but he had to pay $2600 for scooter damage and another $600 damage that was done to the car that hit him. (I hear it was his fault). Our private tour driver "said" the island was very safe, but its a little scary in places. :) I also heard that if you follow too close to a cab, they will "hit" the brakes so you hit them and they can collect $$ from you. Not sure how true it is though.....So either way,,, be careful!!:eek:

Just got off the Legend and the ship advises NOT to rent scooters as they can be very dangerous. We sat with a couple at dinner that rented scooters and had no problems. BUT, on our same cruise, a guy was hit on his scooter, broke the scooter right in half!! Thankfully he was ok but he had to pay $2600 for scooter damage and another $600 damage that was done to the car that hit him. (I hear it was his fault). Our private tour driver "said" the island was very safe, but its a little scary in places. :) I also heard that if you follow too close to a cab, they will "hit" the brakes so you hit them and they can collect $$ from you. Not sure how true it is though.....So either way,,, be careful!!:eek:

I have decided against the scooters after reading Roatans own safety report. Apparently they have a big problem with robbery. Mostly at night but still. They advise handing over whatever they want so you don't get killed. Enough said for me. And what you said just added to my concerns.

See. These are the kinds of reports that bother people saying stuff about a pllace who have never been there or encountered anything. We were there and it is an extremely beautiful Island not perfect as it is not rich as others but things seem to be cleaning up. We saw a lot of people renting scooters right outside the pier gate from some guys who called themselves Brown Scooters for rent. I guess you just have to drive slow and careful.

See. These are the kinds of reports that bother people saying stuff about a pllace who have never been there or encountered anything. We were there and it is an extremely beautiful Island not perfect as it is not rich as others but things seem to be cleaning up. We saw a lot of people renting scooters right outside the pier gate from some guys who called themselves Brown Scooters for rent. I guess you just have to drive slow and careful.

So does that mean, I need to be thrown thru the windshield of my car in an accident before I decide to wear a seatbelt? NO, I can hear and see what happens if I don't wear one.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, and , yes, the odds are you will be fine if you rent one. But, just like a motorcycle, they are much more dangerous to ride than renting a car or taking a cab. Especially for someone who is an inexperienced rider AND is in a foreign country AND does not know that countrys laws and rules of the road......

As said above, just be careful! :)

Now after reading everything I could find for the past year on the scooters I am back to thinking that it would be great to rent them to tour Roatan. I found the answer to my question in a response to someone else that the scooters do come with helmets and also cable locks. One of my biggest worries was that we wouldn't be able to get off the scooter and enjoy activities because of the worry someone would steal them.

As for the crime reports it is predominantly at night in the worse part of town so with maps and during the day, it shouldn't be too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.....this may be deemed a conflict of interest, so I will attempt to not comment on my scooters in particular....so I am going to respond in a general way in the hopes my post doesn't get removed.

I moved to Roatan years ago, because I feel safe here. I am from a big city in Canada (1 million people). I wouldn't be walking around in the bad areas there at 2AM either...especially with a camera around my next, and a wallet bulging with cash to spend....LOL.

Here on Roatan, the rules are the same...stay away the druggies and the unemployed drunks at 2AM in the morning..

During the day, is there crime?...gimme a break. This place is paradise compared to other places. Sure there is the "occasional" home robbery (inside job?)....but as a person who sits on the chamber of tourism, we know first hand, about ANY "muggins" of our cruise ship passengers. It's not an issue.

Now "Yes".....you are going to see policeman here sometimes carrying semi-automatic guns at banks, etc.....but remember that is a reality in most of the world.

It doesn't mean that there is going to be a gunfight...It is simply a deterrent, and it works well....

Accidents.

Yup, there are accidents...and more than I would like to hear about. It is typically confined to the following:

1) inexperienced local drivers who can't handle the rainy weather or who are not experienced in handling different situations in traffic.

2) tourists who are drinking and driving...and who forget where they are at.

3) Scooters?....Motorcycles?....yes...and those of us who are reputable in this business do NOT allow renters who cannot handle these machines on the road...Are all businesses reputable? Are all businesses concerned for your safety first? No.

Come see Roatan. See the beauty. Please get off the ship, and do something OTHER than walking around the port area....

You won't regret it....:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well said Captain Van. Common sense is common sense no matter where you are. I remember the first time I was in old San Juan....pretty scary. But after 2 other trips there, I'm out in the middle of thousands of people dancing in the streets every January during San Sabastian Festival.

Can you reccomend a few good and reliable tour guides other than Victor Bodden?

We just got back from our cruise on the Legend. Our last stop was Roatan. Loved it. I agree with the capn, get off the ship and enjoy the island. We spent about 20 minutes talking with a scooter rental guy by the name of James who has a spot right on the street outside the port gate. Very nice guy and his scooters looked well kept. He was very helpful to us when our driver didn't show up. Didn't try to press us into renting any of his scooters but did get us a taxi. When we came back from our day he was not there and all of his scooters were apparently rented out. We regretted that cause we really wanted to thank him for helping us out.

As to traffic on Roatan, yes, they definitely don't drive like we do here in the US. But just like anyplace you go, you need to pay attention to where you are going and what you are doing.

We loved Roatan and we will go there again if the opportunity arises.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I were in Roatan 2 years ago. We rented scooters from Capt. Vans. That was definately the high light to our entire cruise. He picked us up at the pier and drove us over to pick up the scooters. With helmuts on our heads and maps in our hands, we were off. Yes, there was traffic but just take precautions. We drove to the top of the island and had a delicious lunch with a gorgeous view. Then we drove down to the beach and left our scooters parked on a side street. No problems at all.

Actually, my parents and sister are on a cruise ship right now headed to Roatan and they have Capt. Van's scooters booked. I'm very confident this will be the high light of their cruise.

Archived