My Sun Review

Chexmix

Background: Mom (56), Bf (46), me (40). Ncl AC Suite 9076. 18 repositioning cruise from San Diego to Miami. Our first Ncl cruise.

Embarkation day: I knew from cruise critic that our embarkation would be delayed. Arrive at port about 4:30 pm. (No ship yet) We given a number then proceeded to check in. Check in was smooth with no wait. Then we found a place to camp out for a while. Ship arrived about 6:00 pm. Started boarding about 6:30. At 6:45 computers went down for about an hour. No boarding took place during this time. We finally made it on the ship about 8:45 (we had number 22) Each number had 45 people. While waiting they offered water, granola bars, cookies, juice and finally bite size sandwiches (ran out of these quick) that was a nice touch.

Went to our suite. Room was nice size. very large bathroom with special shampoo, conditoner, bath gel, q-tips, cotton balls, robes and bathroom scale.

We had canapes delivered sometime before we boarded the ship. They were HOT and we didn't eat them. Next day told butler we didn't want them any more and to bring something different. He did. More on that later.

Beds: Ours was ok. Hard but was a bed to sleep in. My mom had the fold out couch. It was hard as bricks. Had to get two egg foams stacked to get any relief. Made me feel sorry for her the whole trip.

Food: We ate in the buffet area most of the time. The choice in the dining room was limited. Plus it seemed we got the worse servers each time. (very slow serving food or refilling drinks) Most deserts didn't have flavor. If it was supposed to be chocolate is should taste like chocolate but it very rarely did. The apple pie was great.

We ate in East Meets West, iL Adiago and Pacific Heights. In East meets west the lobster was good but the steaks weren't cooked to our specifications. Medium Rare was more like Medium Well. This also happened to other tables while we were in there.

iL Adiago - I thought italian food would have pasta varities. Not here. Got one noodle in my soup. Dinner was ok here but not worth the extra.

Pacific Heights - Great food and service in one place. About time. We all had the meatloaf and it was great.

(I have all the menus for the specialty restraunts and will post later)

The pasta and wok station at the buffet was my life saver. Great cooked to oder food here. Breakfast was good as well with many choices. Kind of hard to mess up breakfast except when you burn a boiled egg (they did this). The hot dogs and fries saved my Bf. He is not picky but that was the best choice more times than not. My mom found a few items along the way to enjoy. (This was the first time my mom and I both LOST weight on a cruise. About 10 pounds each.)

Room Service - this was awsome for breakfast and ok for other times. I have had better and I have had worse.

The shows: Cirqua Pan on the next to last night was the best. Comedy was not all that great. Some of the things we would have like to seen were to crowded and no seats available because they were done in Dazzles disco. This would be the liars club and Newlywed not so Newly wed game.

Leactures were great. Person was very informational. Again though when done in Dazzles there was not enough room.

We booked private excursions and was very glad we did. No presure and we weren't packed like sardines on the buses.

The ship was very clean. The staff were very friendly. Always a good morning or evening from everyone you passed. Some one right there to pick up your dirty plates or offer a helping hand.

Hand Sanitizers - They are all over the place. This was wonderful. They even spray your hands when returning from a shore excursion. This was great except when you had your hands loaded down. After the first couple of times you figure out how to put it all in one hand for a short time.

Ship Infirmary - The two doctors on board were good. I had contact with them three times. I came down with a severe sinus infection. They had antibiotics and other meds available. However, due to being sick I missed two ports and two sea days. These were all spent in my state room. Then when I did come out of my room I got really funny looks but some very understanding crew members that were very helpful to me, if needed.

Overall - Will I try NCL again, maybe. I won't pick this line for a long cruise though. To us the shows, food and other activities were based for the older generations (65 and up). This was great for them as the ship had about 90% in this age range with about 500 in wheel chairs. This could also be the reasoning for the food choices and taste. We did enjoy the freestyle dining just not the food.

I am still fighting my sinus infection and will post the menus and pictures later in the week when I get a chance to unpack.

Disembarkation - Since we were in a suite we had VIP tag to get off the ship right after the express people. This was supposed to take place around 8:15 but we were held up by imigration until 9:15. They would not any one leave until all luggage was cleared. This is where the hold up was. We were checked in our hotel in FLL at 10 am so the timing was not to bad. We took a taxi from the Miami Port to 17th street in FLL total cost including tip was $80 for the three of us.

Thanks for the review!

I had to start looking at these again, since we are taking my parents on our first cruise with NCL (on the SUN) in March.

I'm still confused about which restaurants are included and which ones charge a surcharge, but I have plenty of time to figure that out.

Hope you are feeling better!

:)

Thanks for the review!

I had to start looking at these again, since we are taking my parents on our first cruise with NCL (on the SUN) in March.

I'm still confused about which restaurants are included and which ones charge a surcharge, but I have plenty of time to figure that out.

Welcome New2cruisin

We were on the Sun in 2005 and are going again March 2008. Which date in March are you going?

I'm sorry...I don't get it... why would you eat at the buffet most of the time? I've been on 12 cruises and avoid the buffets all ALL COSTS... we won't even go in the buffet. I'm very curious about why you would want to eat mostly at the buffet. Is the food really that bad in the restaurants??? We are on the SUN next week.

Background: Mom (56), Bf (46), me (40). Ncl AC Suite 9076. 18 repositioning cruise from San Diego to Miami. Our first Ncl cruise.

Embarkation day: I knew from cruise critic that our embarkation would be delayed. Arrive at port about 4:30 pm. (No ship yet) We given a number then proceeded to check in. Check in was smooth with no wait. Then we found a place to camp out for a while. Ship arrived about 6:00 pm. Started boarding about 6:30. At 6:45 computers went down for about an hour. No boarding took place during this time. We finally made it on the ship about 8:45 (we had number 22) Each number had 45 people. While waiting they offered water, granola bars, cookies, juice and finally bite size sandwiches (ran out of these quick) that was a nice touch.

Went to our suite. Room was nice size. very large bathroom with special shampoo, conditoner, bath gel, q-tips, cotton balls, robes and bathroom scale.

We had canapes delivered sometime before we boarded the ship. They were HOT and we didn't eat them. Next day told butler we didn't want them any more and to bring something different. He did. More on that later.

Beds: Ours was ok. Hard but was a bed to sleep in. My mom had the fold out couch. It was hard as bricks. Had to get two egg foams stacked to get any relief. Made me feel sorry for her the whole trip.

Food: We ate in the buffet area most of the time. The choice in the dining room was limited. Plus it seemed we got the worse servers each time. (very slow serving food or refilling drinks) Most deserts didn't have flavor. If it was supposed to be chocolate is should taste like chocolate but it very rarely did. The apple pie was great.

We ate in East Meets West, iL Adiago and Pacific Heights. In East meets west the lobster was good but the steaks weren't cooked to our specifications. Medium Rare was more like Medium Well. This also happened to other tables while we were in there.

iL Adiago - I thought italian food would have pasta varities. Not here. Got one noodle in my soup. Dinner was ok here but not worth the extra.

Pacific Heights - Great food and service in one place. About time. We all had the meatloaf and it was great.

(I have all the menus for the specialty restraunts and will post later)

The pasta and wok station at the buffet was my life saver. Great cooked to oder food here. Breakfast was good as well with many choices. Kind of hard to mess up breakfast except when you burn a boiled egg (they did this). The hot dogs and fries saved my Bf. He is not picky but that was the best choice more times than not. My mom found a few items along the way to enjoy. (This was the first time my mom and I both LOST weight on a cruise. About 10 pounds each.)

Room Service - this was awsome for breakfast and ok for other times. I have had better and I have had worse.

The shows: Cirqua Pan on the next to last night was the best. Comedy was not all that great. Some of the things we would have like to seen were to crowded and no seats available because they were done in Dazzles disco. This would be the liars club and Newlywed not so Newly wed game.

Leactures were great. Person was very informational. Again though when done in Dazzles there was not enough room.

We booked private excursions and was very glad we did. No presure and we weren't packed like sardines on the buses.

The ship was very clean. The staff were very friendly. Always a good morning or evening from everyone you passed. Some one right there to pick up your dirty plates or offer a helping hand.

Hand Sanitizers - They are all over the place. This was wonderful. They even spray your hands when returning from a shore excursion. This was great except when you had your hands loaded down. After the first couple of times you figure out how to put it all in one hand for a short time.

Ship Infirmary - The two doctors on board were good. I had contact with them three times. I came down with a severe sinus infection. They had antibiotics and other meds available. However, due to being sick I missed two ports and two sea days. These were all spent in my state room. Then when I did come out of my room I got really funny looks but some very understanding crew members that were very helpful to me, if needed.

Overall - Will I try NCL again, maybe. I won't pick this line for a long cruise though. To us the shows, food and other activities were based for the older generations (65 and up). This was great for them as the ship had about 90% in this age range with about 500 in wheel chairs. This could also be the reasoning for the food choices and taste. We did enjoy the freestyle dining just not the food.

I am still fighting my sinus infection and will post the menus and pictures later in the week when I get a chance to unpack.

Disembarkation - Since we were in a suite we had VIP tag to get off the ship right after the express people. This was supposed to take place around 8:15 but we were held up by imigration until 9:15. They would not any one leave until all luggage was cleared. This is where the hold up was. We were checked in our hotel in FLL at 10 am so the timing was not to bad. We took a taxi from the Miami Port to 17th street in FLL total cost including tip was $80 for the three of us.

I think I am confused, you ate in the buffet because you didn't like the dinner choices? This is one I don't understand, but eveyone has to do what is best for them. As for the older age range, anytime you take a cruise that is 10 days or longer you will have an older group. Ncl actually is very family friendly with normally a very good mixture of age ranges.

I am not a great supporter of East Meets West, I much prefer Le Bistro. as for Il Adiago, we love the place but there are 2 kinds of Italian restaurants, northern and southern, one is similar to french with much less pasta. That is what Il Adiago is. If you were looking for good old fashion pasts you are right, this isn't the best choice.

I hope you will give NCL another try, shorter cruise next time, one that mainly does the Caribbean. Good luck and thanks for an objective review even if it wasn't all posiitive.

Nita

Thanks for the review!

Hope you are feeling better!

Extra charge: East Meets West: primarily steak house with some seafood

Le Bistro: flagship restaurant; french and wonderful

the Habachi table: I can never remember the name. fun place, good food

Il Adiago: Italian, similar to french

No service charge: 2 main dining rooms:

Sports bar

buffet

Las rambles for tapas (you can make a meal on them]

Pacific Heights: light cooking, healthy choice but very good still. Just not as much flavor as some others.

Hope this helps.

Nita

I'm sorry...I don't get it... why would you eat at the buffet most of the time? I've been on 12 cruises and avoid the buffets all ALL COSTS... we won't even go in the buffet. I'm very curious about why you would want to eat mostly at the buffet. Is the food really that bad in the restaurants??? We are on the SUN next week.
My feelings exactly. Even if the food isn't to ones liking in the dining rooms (which I have trouble understanding) it is better than a buffet anytime.

OK -- we were also on the 9 Oct - 27 Oct Sun cruise.

Food tastes are food tastes.

Sure, the entire embarkation process was screwed up. NCL woefully communicated. We figured this out about two weeks before the cruise. But, NCL really handled it not too badly. DW and I dumped all out belongings, including stuffing my laptop into a spare suitcase and padding it with clothing, and DW leaving the rest of our carryons. We toured center city San Diego, and returned about 6pm, and as a fellow "VIP" cabin pax were about the first on.

We are 63 and 62, and yes, the average age was older than us, but there were plenty a lot younger, and I was the one huffing on the hiking in Roatan. I doubt if there were 50 using motorized carts, walkers, canes, etc, and it's great that these folks were able to enjoy their lives cruising even with reduced mobility. We were never impeded or run over - better than has happened in markets here in FL.

The food in the main dining rooms was rather uniformly tasty. The recipes and delivery gave us liberally spiced food appropriately heated or chilled.

One must remember that on cruises there is lots of food, and there is little reason to have large portions as on a land restaurant where doggie bags are a reasonable expectation. There was a good fish entre every night, and usually beef, chicken, and or pork as well as pasta and vegan.

The appetizers and soups and salads were broad in nature and interesting. One night the main choices appeared uninteresting, but I noted a Seafood Hot Pot with some sort of coconut milk base. Didn't sound like I would like it, so I asked for a small portion as an appetizer. It was great, so I scratched by Veal Osso Bucco in favor of the SHP regular portion. This is the great thing about a cruise. One CAN TRY something a bit different, and not feel guilty about rejecting something.

Now -- I did try the Turkey on the last night out of curiosity. This certainly was a preprocessed, rather than a freshly cooked turkey.

The mostly Filipino wait and buffet staff was super. Sure, some had less knowledge about the menu items than others. I did compliment cards on 3 of the 15 dinners in the main restaurants (the gem was an Indonesian female waiter). We went to Pac Hts once - no charge - nothing to talk about it, and to the Italian rest. once - $10 each - nothing exceptional, and jeans and tee shirt were allowed on a 20 something guest in an adjoining table. I suppose that if you buy enough wine, all is OK.

The concierge (Jacky), although sweet and accented, was essentially useless. We are financially comfortable and undemanding, but my understanding of a hotel concierge is that he/she can accomplish just about the impossible. She did not succeed on getting us on a "sold out" shore tour, and when I complained about some conditions on the floor above us that were sure to bother out sleep hours later, I needed to take rather strong action after 1130pm to bring correction about (securing chairs against wind during a gale). We used limited butler service, but amply rewarded Patrick and also our room steward even though we asked for little, and probably kept our room very neat and clean.

I did not complete the review sheets on board, and will send it directly to the NCL President with some comments not appropriate for this forum (alluded to above).

My lesson and advice to all: be sure you know what is above and below you. Do not be on deck 10 below any wood area on deck 11.

We really liked the shows other than the Jean Ryan ones which we passed on. The dance bands and esp Prism were really nice entertainment, and rather underappreciated by our admittedly aged group. Wish we were better dancers.

Perhaps the 7day Carib cruises have a different vibrance.

dg

I'm wondering how much of your experiences had to do with the fact that the cruise was 18 days ... my guess is that a limited amount of people will have that kind of vacation time in order to take a cruise of that length.

Thank you both for your reviews! They are very helpful :)

After trying the dining rooms on four or five different occasions the food in the buffet seemed more desirable to us. Like I said, we had slow servers which gave us luke warm or cold food most of the time. We weren't the only ones that had this complaint either. Just not sure how many are members here.

Everyone has thier own opinion about food and this was our opinion based on what we were served and ate. Each experience is different for everyone. We didn't let the food ruin our cruise we just chose carefully for each meal. Most of which ended up being the buffet.

You also have to remember that I was sick for about 7 of our 18 days. This also makes food taste different. It also makes you not want to sit in the dining room for 1 1/2 to 2 hours either.

OK -- we were also on the 9 Oct - 27 Oct Sun cruise.

I doubt if there were 50 using motorized carts, walkers, canes, etc, and it's great that these folks were able to enjoy their lives cruising even with reduced mobility. We were never impeded or run over - better than has happened in markets here in FL.

dg

We were told by a staff member about the amount of wheel chairs on board. I am glad these people were able to cruise and still enjoy the life they are living. I respect my elders and hopfully I will be cruising at thier age.

We weren't run over either. Most were cautious or patient with the other cruisers. I have seen much worse here at home.

Yes, I do think that a 7 day cruise would make a difference on this ship. However, to get the iteniery (sp) that we had it would be impossible to take a shorter cruise.

We enjoyed the cruise just not the food.

2burmdad... what cabin were you in on floor 10? I am going to be in 1019 and wanted to know if it was going to have any problems with noise. It looks like we will be right under the Body Waves Fitness center. I can just imagine the grinding sounds of people on the workout bikes and treadmills and dropping weights.... Oh my...!!!

After trying the dining rooms on four or five different occasions the food in the buffet seemed more desirable to us. Like I said, we had slow servers which gave us luke warm or cold food most of the time. We weren't the only ones that had this complaint either. Just not sure how many are members here.

Everyone has thier own opinion about food and this was our opinion based on what we were served and ate. Each experience is different for everyone. We didn't let the food ruin our cruise we just chose carefully for each meal. Most of which ended up being the buffet.

You also have to remember that I was sick for about 7 of our 18 days. This also makes food taste different. It also makes you not want to sit in the dining room for 1 1/2 to 2 hours either.

your being sick would interfer with your overall view period. i think you have pretty much hit on something. As for others, of course many you spoke with do not read CC, only about 1 - 3% of cruisers do. It is a known fact, more people are inclined to post negatives than positives. we all expect to have a good time thus normally don't see any reason to write about it, but the less than positive experiences we seem to think we need to share with the world. For all those who write negatives there are about 10 who, if they wrote, would be writing glowing reviews.

My feeling is, serveral things interferred with your having the time of your life and none had to much to do with the ship itself. The food, if not to your liking, could be the fault of the cruise line, but the age of the travelers is common on any cruise over 10 days as I mentioned, 18 days is a long time to cruise. Most people prefer a shorter cruise, especially if you are not true cruise veterans. Being sick brings out the worst in all of us and when we don't feel good, causing us to complain others pick up on this and start to think the same way. This is human nature.

better luck on your next cruise.

Nita

Extra charge: East Meets West: primarily steak house with some seafood

Le Bistro: flagship restaurant; french and wonderful

the Habachi table: I can never remember the name. fun place, good food

Il Adiago: Italian, similar to french

No service charge: 2 main dining rooms:

Sports bar

buffet

Las rambles for tapas (you can make a meal on them]

Pacific Heights: light cooking, healthy choice but very good still. Just not as much flavor as some others.

Hope this helps.

Nita

THANKS, NITA!

That's what I was looking for! Looks like we have 6 places to choose from each day to dine in, if we do not opt for the "extra charge" places!

That some people can always find things to complain about ....it strikes me as an odd way to go about life.

You are on an 18 day crusie and you manage to highlight and complain about the fac that your steak for one meal was cook a bit too much? That ONE egg was burned. Oh what it must be like to be perfect.

I feel badly for you as you seem to want to make every effort to not admit that you enjoyed something and would rather spend all your energy finding something to critic ..... reminds me of my mother! haha

Just a thought .... I agree with some earlier ones though .. that perhaps a shorter cruise would be best ....

For anyone going on the Sun, please do not let Chexmix's assessment of Il Adagio deter you from trying it. We've been on three cruises on the Sun, and we've eaten at Il Adagio on all three. It is our favorite NCL restaurant. In addition to the wonderful food, the restaurant has terrific furnishings. Small tables for two are against the floor to ceiling windows, and raised banquettes which seat about 6 diners are across from them. Everone gets an ocean view. It's terribly romantic.

Hi - for Dispachcops --

We were in 0265 - farthest starboard aft.

The issue here is the wooden deck. Chairs and tables were slid by the staff, and also during normal usage hours - by the pax. As I sit and sleep in our house two days later, I believe I still here echos. But, I never heard voices, etc, from above, just the scraping on the floor, and not foodsteps.

If you are right under the equipment room, I believe that you will not hear much. I don't know the hours - didn't use it - shame on me. But people are merely using equipment, and not moving same across a wooden floor. If you are under the aerobics room, the first use is at 730am, and I believe nothing late. There are large balls, but I didnt' see anything that could be noisy.

good luck

dg

Like Dispachcops we are also right under the gym. When I realized this I was a bit worried about the noise. Hopefully we will be lucky and not have to worry about too much noise from above. When we originally booked we had a different stateroom, but then decided to bring the kids. In order to accomodate the 4 of us we had to be moved. It looks like for the most part you enjoyed your trip. Welcome back and thanks for the review!

I also was on this cruise. I am a beef eater and on four different days there was not a suitable beef entree on the menu. I don't count beef stroganof as an entree unless I'm eating at Dennys. I had 74 days at sea, on 3 different cruiselines before this and never had this problem. Overall the food was uneventful, sort of cafeteria tasting. I'll stick to traditional cruising rather than free style.

Hi - for Dispachcops --

We were in 0265 - farthest starboard aft.

The issue here is the wooden deck. Chairs and tables were slid by the staff, and also during normal usage hours - by the pax. As I sit and sleep in our house two days later, I believe I still here echos. But, I never heard voices, etc, from above, just the scraping on the floor, and not foodsteps.

If you are right under the equipment room, I believe that you will not hear much. I don't know the hours - didn't use it - shame on me. But people are merely using equipment, and not moving same across a wooden floor. If you are under the aerobics room, the first use is at 730am, and I believe nothing late. There are large balls, but I didnt' see anything that could be noisy.

good luck

dg

We will be in 0067 in January for a 7 day cruise, I guess we better get ready for that noise!!!

Browniegirl

I also was on this cruise. I am a beef eater and on four different days there was not a suitable beef entree on the menu. I don't count beef stroganof as an entree unless I'm eating at Dennys. I had 74 days at sea, on 3 different cruiselines before this and never had this problem. Overall the food was uneventful, sort of cafeteria tasting. I'll stick to traditional cruising rather than free style.

ok, you have mentioned the beef strogonoff on several occassions.I don't fregquent Denny's, especially for dinner, but I can assure you beef stogonoff is not normally considered a Denny's type of meal. If made correctly it is a wonderful treat.

Nita

Archived