Dawn itinerary question

musicgirl63

We will be in Bermuda on the Dawn 6-15-08 sailing. We will dock at the West End on the 18th, 19th and then leave at 7am on the 20th to drop anchor at 9am-5pm at Grassy Bay.

Why does the ship have to leave the dock that day? The only other ship is the NCL Dream and it is docked at St. George. There are no other ships from any line there other than these 2 ships.

thanks!

I'll admit I don''t know the real reason, but here are a few possibilities......

(1) Pier construction on the pier.

(2) A merchant/cargo ship needs to dock at the pier.

(3) Another cruise ship, not necessarily American based, needs to dock at the pier.

I believe reason #2 is the most likely, but the other two could be the reason. Construction is underway so that two large cruise ships and dock at that pier, and most American travel/cruise web sites don't show foreign based cruise ship itineraries.

But cargo ships have to use piers as well. Bermuda isn''t self sufficient, and goods have to enter and leave the islands. Shipping by sea is the cheapest way.

thanks for the reply.

I do know that there are no other cruise ships scheduled. But I would imagine the theory on the cargo ship is probably a good guess. When we have to tender in, I'll tell you all what was in our place!!!

I've also heard a strange story about the laundry. That cruisers as well as the cruise staff can not do laundry do the the pollution. Perhaps they have to go out a bit to do this.

It might be due to the fact that Royal Caribbean's ship may be in Kings Wharf that day. From what I understand Royal Caribbean has first dibs on the pier, therefore NCL has to leave the pier and move out to sea.

TOPNET AND musicgirl63 I will be on that cruise also. Traveling with my husband, sister, brother in law and 2 cousins and their spouses. This is the 3rd cruise we have taken together. Both cousins are breast cancer survivors so we celebrate every year they are cancer free. We love a good time so you may figure out who we are by the time the cruise ends. Would love to continue to correspond. I was under the impression we were docked the entire time we are in Bermuda.

It might be due to the fact that Royal Caribbean's ship may be in Kings Wharf that day. From what I understand Royal Caribbean has first dibs on the pier, therefore NCL has to leave the pier and move out to sea.

Next summer, the Explorer of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas dock at King's Wharf on every Monday and Tuesday every other week. One ship this week, the other ship next week. Every other week, Explorer of the Seas also docks at King''s Wharf on Sunday. No RCI ship is scheduled to dock at King''s Wharf on any other day of a week.

NCL's Dawn is scheduled to be at King's Wharf on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday every week. But, I don't believe it docks for all three days once. Some weeks it anchors on Wednesday, and other weeks on Friday.

The reason the Dawn doesn't arrive at King's Wharf on Tuesday is because a RCI ship is there. That's why it is in Bermuda one day less than the Dream, which will dock at St. George on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday next summer.

But that's not the reason why the Dawn anchors on Wednesday or Friday. The likely reason is some other ship is docked at King's Wharf, and if the other ship isn't a cruise ship, it has to be a merchant/cargo ship.

It will be interesting to read if next summer's Dawn's cruise passengers report every week what's docked, or is going on, at the pier when they are at anchor in Grassy Bay. I'm looking forward to the reports. It might be a different reason every week.

Archived