Year Round Travel Insurance?

Sunny AZ Girl

OK - here is another travel insurance question. I have great medical insurance for DH & myself - usually. I work at a hospital & our insurance pretty much covers everything 100%, with a $1500 out of pocket limit on the few things that are not covered 100% per year. DH is self employed, so my insurance is it. However, my insurance only covers 50% on all expenses incurred not in our local hospital network, with no out of pocket limit! We are both in our mid-50's. I am concerned that if something were to happen either while traveling on business (which DH does frequently) or pleasure the expenses could become financially devastating. We also take several side trips a year out of our immediate area, not cruise related. I always buy insurance for our cruises, but I read somewhere on these boards that someone has year round travel insurance to supplement their regular medical insurance while traveling. I haven't seen that advertised or offered on my regular searches. Do any of you have such a thing? I always get the best info right here on these boards!:)

OK - here is another travel insurance question. I have great medical insurance for DH & myself - usually. I work at a hospital & our insurance pretty much covers everything 100%, with a $1500 out of pocket limit on the few things that are not covered 100% per year. DH is self employed, so my insurance is it. However, my insurance only covers 50% on all expenses incurred not in our local hospital network, with no out of pocket limit! We are both in our mid-50's. I am concerned that if something were to happen either while traveling on business (which DH does frequently) or pleasure the expenses could become financially devastating. We also take several side trips a year out of our immediate area, not cruise related. I always buy insurance for our cruises, but I read somewhere on these boards that someone has year round travel insurance to supplement their regular medical insurance while traveling. I haven't seen that advertised or offered on my regular searches. Do any of you have such a thing? I always get the best info right here on these boards!:)

Most major insurers offer an annual plan -- Travel Guard, Access America, Travelex and others. But you may have to go directly to the insurer's web site in most cases as the online comparison sites don't usually offer them. What also gets confuring is that not everyone call them the same thing. For example, if you go to insuremytrip.com there's no link to annual policies, what you need to click on is the link to "Multi-Trip Medical Policies". Make sure that the plan's maximum trip length (some as short as 14 days) will be long enough to cover the longest trip you intend to take within the 365-day coverage period. If you'll be taking a 21-day trip you don't want the coverage ending on day 14.

They also have "Travel Medical Policies" but these are more for those traveling outside the country for an extended period of time -- students, those working abroad, etc., not multiple shorter trips. Don't get them confused.

Most major insurers offer an annual plan -- Travel Guard, Access America, Travelex and others. But you may have to go directly to the insurer's web site in most cases as the online comparison sites don't usually offer them. What also gets confuring is that not everyone call them the same thing. For example, if you go to insuremytrip.com there's no link to annual policies, what you need to click on is the link to "Multi-Trip Medical Policies". Make sure that the plan's maximum trip length (some as short as 14 days) will be long enough to cover the longest trip you intend to take within the 365-day coverage period. If you'll be taking a 21-day trip you don't want the coverage ending on day 14.

They also have "Travel Medical Policies" but these are more for those traveling outside the country for an extended period of time -- students, those working abroad, etc., not multiple shorter trips. Don't get them confused.

If you do not need the stuff such as trip trip delay, luggage loss, and a bunch of other things that do not cost that much money, the multi-trip policies seem like much better deals than the single trip policies. We already have 3 trips planned for 2008 (Jan, Febb. May) and will do more and the multi-trips are much cheaper than 3 individual policies.

IMHO, you insure for the big stuff (medical and evacuation) and figure that you can absorb the little stuff.

DON

Thanks for all the responses! I went to Travel Guard's website and found that I could buy a multi-trip policy for less $ than my single trip policies that I have already purchased for my two 2008 cruises!:eek: I will also go to check out AARP as we are always getting info from them anyway. I will keep researching to see what the best options would be for our situation. Thanks for all of your great advice!:D

Archived