I'm Home!!! Review of Cruise N733

AuzzieCruiser

Well I'm home from 8 nights onboard the Pacific Sun.

Friday, 26th October

Woke up early, since it was a work day, and the storm from the previous night had thankfully cleared.

Had breakfast and packed the last minute things. Left home just before 9.30am to go around to my 'Aunty's' place. Had a cuppa and a last minute check before all piling in her station wagon to Darling Harbour.

Was easier to find than first thought. We arrived and dumped our bags. Said a quick farewell to my brother and he was off. My 'Aunty's' sister and husband and teenage son arrived. Had a coffee and chat with them and watched the people join the queue. boy there were some keen people.

The Queue started to move around 11.30am and waited for the queue to die down. We joined the queue when there was about 10 people in it.

Went through security and joined the queue to check-in. Waited about 5 minutes, and we got another L-Plater. She was a bit slow, but we were only her 3rd or 4th group to check-in.

Went through Immigration and then walked the glass tunnel to the ship. Ran into our first photo shoot. Had our photo taken and used the Gangway on Deck 3 instead of Deck 5 due to the steepness of the gangway. Got doinged on and had my photo taken. Went straight up to Upper Deck on Deck 6 and made our way to our cabin. We were in cabins U127 and U129. The size was great, with plenty of storage, with both cabins being 3/4 berth cabins.

Had a poke through the cabins, and found where everything was. We met our Cabin steward Andy, who was fantastic. We also met his assistant Neilzon.

We decided to go and grab a bite to eat up at the Buffet. As we were about to walk out the door, one of our bags arrived!! Hauled it in, and went up to lunch.

It wasn't full or too crowded. There was a selection of sandwiches, both cold and warm. They were decent, but nothing overly special.

Found out where the desserts were!!:D We grabbed two plates to share between the four of us.

Went and explored the ship, which was eerily quiet. It was like a morgue. After about 30 minutes, went back to the cabin, and found that my bag had arrived, and that they had taken it inside for us.

Started to unpack, which only took about 10 minutes. Went and grabbed the Sailaway cocktail with the Souvenir glass.

Then the clouds started to roll in. It gradually grew darker and darker. Great!!:rolleyes: It was almost like it was the middle of the night. There was lightening and thunder, and it was getting closer and louder.

We got ready for the Muster Drill for 3.30pm. Grabbed the lifejackets and waited for the signal. For the first time ever, I had to walk UP to my Muster Station, and not down.:p Our's was in the Buffet Area on Deck 10. Up the stairs I went, with lifejacket in tow. Found a table to sit at, and how quickly the room filled up!! You literally could move, it was that jam packed.

With that all over, I returned to the cabin to dump the lifejacket, and get ready for Sailaway. Went up to Deck 10 forward and watched from there. Went under the Harbour Bridge, with the Ship's horm going off. I took a million photos of the Opera House, and then moved up towards to Oasis to see if I could see Eve. I did, but was to scared to ask.

Made it out of the heads, and moved back inside.

More to come........................:rolleyes:

Day 1 continued....

Decided that I would go and watch the Welcome show. What a let down that was. The two guest artists were appalling. There was Tony Pantano and a 'comedian' Mike Harris. It was so bad, especially Mike Harris, that I nearly walked out. Numerous people I talked to didn't find his comments very nice at all.

Went and got changed for dinner. We were in Second Seating as always, in the Bordeaux Room. Was easy to get to, but nowhere to wait as such if you turned up early.

We were at Table 122. Our waiters never introduced themselves, which was surprising. I ordered the Spring Rolls, which were nice, for Starter. I skipped the Entree of Risotto. I had the Rib beef for Mains, which was nice. To top the night off I had the Grand Marnier for dessert. I found the service to be rushed. As soon as one plate left the table, another one appeared.

After dinner, I decided that I would retire for the Evening, as I had an early start to an exciting day.

Day 2

Good story, Jarrod, CRIKEY, believe it or not we had both Mike Harris and Tony Pantano on board Regal Princess in the last week, 26/9 to 2/10 around NZ, yes they got off before the big seas. Tony was good, a cross between Engleburt Humperdink and Tom Jones, but Mike has gone past his use by date.(Lots of Americans walked out of the show lounge could not handle him.) I knew Mike Harris 20 yrs ago, engaged him for a couple of Police (sorry Chez) retirement dinners I organised, still the same, funny for the intoxicated ones. I hear they get a couple of grand a show, so good for them. Pacific Dawn will get those guys on board for sure, plus Jacky Love and the rest of the vintage performers, some OK, some shockers.

Cheers..Les:cool:

Day 2

Started the morning with Breakfast in the Bordeaux. I thought that I have to give the Dining Room another go. Was seated at a table of lovely people, who were staying up on 'Snob Hill'. This was their first cruise, to test the waters before their Alaska cruise next year.

I ordered the Pancakes, some Special K, and some of the Hot Breakfast. The Special K and Pancakes turned up, but never did receive my Hot Breakfast!!:p Didn't really matter, as I was absolutely stuffed.

We went to the Morning Trivia, and didn't do too well at all.:rolleyes: But who cares, it was all fun. I also watched my mum make her $10 pair of earrings while I was surfing the net.:rolleyes:

Ventured up to the Buffet for lunch. OMG!!! Talk about peakhour!! Joined the long queue, trying to keep out of people's way trying to walk past. That is one huge bottleneck. Then there are the kids that just push past everybody. I know kids are kids, but to just push past people without saying 'Excuse me' or 'Sorry' is unaccetptable.

Met a lovely American couple. They love Australia, and decided to do an Australian cruise. They had previously cruised on the Queen Mary, and preferred the Sun!!:eek:

Went to afternoon Bingo, and got the 6 games for $30. I was a bit rusty, but after about 10 numbers, I was back on the ball. No luck with prizes, though I did come close on numerous occasions.

Had a Nanna nap in the afternoon, before getting ready for Formal night. I got the courage up, and gave Eve a call. I was about to hang up when there was a voice on the end of the line. We arranged to meet up at the Speakeasy. I was early, as always, and eagerly waited for Eve. I waited and waited. She had somehow snuck past me. Went in and had a drink with her, and had a little chat for about 30 minutes. She had to go and glam herself up, so I went back to the cabin and told mum all about Eve and the Speakeasy!!:)

We were changed from the Bordeaux to the Burgundy. What a change it was too!! Our waiters, Ferdinand and Dedan were great. The greeted us each evening and asked us how our day was. We were at table 3, with another two couples. One couple was French, and the other couple from Sydney, with the wife being from South America.

It was a bit akward for us at first, as we felt like we were intruding. But those feelings soon disappeared.

I skipped the Starter, and had the Entree of Tortellini Alfredo. For Mains I had the Pork Piccata. And for dessert I had the best Souffle EVER!! The pistacchio souffle was to die for. It was absolutely delicious. I could have had another one!!:D

Good story, Jarrod, CRIKEY, believe it or not we had both Mike Harris and Tony Pantano on board Regal Princess in the last week, 26/9 to 2/10 around NZ, yes they got off before the big seas. Tony was good, a cross between Engleburt Humperdink and Tom Jones, but Mike has gone past his use by date.(Lots of Americans walked out of the show lounge could not handle him.) I knew Mike Harris 20 yrs ago, engaged him for a couple of Police (sorry Chez) retirement dinners I organised, still the same, funny for the intoxicated ones. I hear they get a couple of grand a show, so good for them. Pacific Dawn will get those guys on board for sure, plus Jacky Love and the rest of the vintage performers, some OK, some shockers.

Crikey I hope noT:eek:

I skipped the Starter, and had the Entree of Tortellini Alfredo. For Mains I had the Pork Piccata. And for dessert I had the best Souffle EVER!! The pistacchio souffle was to die for. It was absolutely delicious. I could have had another one!!:D

Hmm.... Pistacchio Souffle.......... :)

Ah, the memories.

I'd kill for one right now!!!:p :D I'm back on the Lite N Easy now!!:rolleyes: Talk about drastic changes.:p

Imagine what it will be like after 35 days then :eek:

16 days for us will be bad enough... I think we'll have to take up eating Lite N Easy after that cruise!

Hey Jarrod, got up nice and early to read your reveiw and loving it:)

I love the Burgundy dining room too, it has easier access and its nice to go for a drink in the Speakeasy beforehand.

Mmmm.......luv those desserts:D

Chez

xx

Yes..those buffets are always busy..I preferred to eat in the dining room on RP, but tried the buffet a few times, we had only 1 kid on the RP trip, great. Buffet lines VERY orderly. But I can imagine a ship with a hundred or more kids on it at meal times, UGH.!!

Now you people you have to say..Pacific Dawn or Dawn Princess and Pacific Sun or Sun Princess, not just Dawn or Sun..we do not know which ship you are on.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise Jarrod, except for the buffet scrums and Mike Harris, he will be on Pacific Dawn for sure.

Archived