Dressing for dinner

scgirl816

No need to spend a fortune on your formal dresses ladies! Buy from ebay.co.uk or ebay.com
All the more money left over to save for another cruise!
I have at least 6 lovely NEW dresses - all under £20 that I got from ebay.

Caryl

[quote name='scgirl816']Is this too dressy for the informal night?[/quote]

How can a woman ever look too dressy?

Go with what makes you feel beautiful and special - after all, a woman can never look too good.;)

BTW, red is my absolute favorite color!

[quote name='CASPALL']No need to spend a fortune on your formal dresses ladies! Buy from ebay.co.uk or ebay.com
All the more money left over to save for another cruise!
I have at least 6 lovely NEW dresses - all under £20 that I got from ebay.

Caryl[/quote]
[COLOR=magenta]Too funny, (but TRUE!) I've gotten some gorgeous formal gowns on ebay. My favorite is a white cotton lace over metallic sequins gown that I got on ebay for 99 cents! It fits me like it was made for me, and gets tons of compliments each time I wear it. Its possible to look like a million bucks even on the cheap!:D [/COLOR]

I have to comment since I was one of the questioners in this thread that this has been a pleasant surprise among the many fashion threads that tend to appear on CC. Perhaps Celebrity cruisers are just a little more dignified in their dress and their responses.

[quote name='scgirl816']Is this too dressy for the informal night?[/quote]

You look beautiful in your red dress!:)

I PROMISED my DH that I was going to indulge in some bright colors and floaty fabrics for our spring cruise in the Carib. I guess he forgot that would mean SHOPPING!!!!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

[quote name='Cruisenouvelle']See this link to the website...
[URL]http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000XTVKPKdLuib0RWhm1dBUcLa:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Codes&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers[/URL]
Whatever the day's dress code is (it will be published at the top of the [U]Century Today[/U] newsletter that you receive each day) also applies to dining at Murano's.
You're right in that Celebrity is a 'dressier' cruise line! That's why so many of us like it.
Hope you have a wonderful cruise.[/quote]

Thank you so much for this info! This is our first cruise together and we'd like to elope on it. Any information along these lines? Thanks a bunch! Jan

[quote name='Jan Riggs']Thank you so much for this info! This is our first cruise together and we'd like to elope on it. Any information along these lines? Thanks a bunch! Jan[/quote]

You need to go over to the Carnival roll call threads . . . you are on a Carnival cruise, right? This thread (and the link you referred to) deals with cruising on Celebrity.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Jan Riggs']Thank you so much for this info! This is our first cruise together and we'd like to elope on it. Any information along these lines? Thanks a bunch! Jan[/quote]

ROMANCE!!!!! How exciting! Go to the X web site and type in the word "wedding" in 'search'. There was sooooo much info when I checked for you that I couldn't bring it all over. But...I copied the link for you. Maybe it will work. Good luck.

[url]http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/processSearch.do;jsessionid=0000X_VWyHWMBNBj1sJbTsbG4ju:12hdebcnj?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstructcel-new222.dmz.rccl.com%3A1000&ip_text=wedding&x=15&y=7[/url]

Happy cruising!

Denise

[quote name='claud925']You need to go over to the Carnival roll call threads . . . you are on a Carnival cruise, right? This thread (and the link you referred to) deals with cruisin on Celebrity.:rolleyes:[/quote]

claud925 - Wow! You caught what I, with my keen sense of observation;), totally missed! Hopefully the poster will realize their error before relying on my error.

Denise

[quote name='hawt1']I have to comment since I was one of the questioners in this thread that this has been a pleasant surprise among the many fashion threads that tend to appear on CC. Perhaps Celebrity cruisers are just a little more dignified in their dress and their responses.[/quote]

Sounds like buzz words for old and stuffy.

What's the average age on X?

I'm guessing about 65.

I guess X must be RCI for old people.

[quote name='dkjretired']Celebrity has a good mix of ages, it is definitely not 65 nor anywhere near it.[/quote]

Depends on itinerary, time of year, other factors. Have been on a number of X cruises that average age was considerably in excess of 65+

I have met cruisers in many age brackets on all of my cruises.

Over 65...under 65....over 50....under 50......over 30....under 30.....
over 21....under 21...... I have seen toddlers on some
of them.....yes, babies...tweeners, teens....young adults....
The ages have probably gone from 2 to 82.

[quote name='travelinglion'] Guys, I can guarantee you that a long evening gown and everything that goes with it will cost much more than that sport coat and that sport coat will certainly be taken out of the closet alot more than that one long dress.

Everyone - I hope you enjoy your vacation and it is all that you want it to be.

travelinglion[/QUOTE]
I hate to disagree with you, but my husband just bought two new suits, four shirts, four ties, and two sets of suspenders, 2 sports jackets and 2 dress slacks and for what he spent (and he didn't shop at the expensive stores - just JC Penney and Men's Wearhouse), I could have bought ten long formal gowns and a couple of pair of shoes. I only buy my gowns on sale (Nordstrom and other stores) and except for the three that I bought for my three daughters' weddings, I have spent less than $75 for each one. I buy them when I find them, and do not shop just for an a particular event.
His dinner jacket alone cost more than what I usually spend for one of my formal gowns

[quote name='hajekfam']I hate to disagree with you, but my husband just bought two new suits, four shirts, four ties, and two sets of suspenders, 2 sports jackets and 2 dress slacks and for what he spent (and he didn't shop at the expensive stores - just JC Penney and Men's Wearhouse), I could have bought ten long formal gowns and a couple of pair of shoes. I only buy my gowns on sale (Nordstrom and other stores) and except for the three that I bought for my three daughters' weddings, I have spent less than $75 for each one. I buy them when I find them, and do not shop just for an a particular event.
His dinner jacket alone cost more than what I usually spend for one of my formal gowns[/quote]

From the list of things you provided, he will have a minimum of six different outfits, and if you add mixing and matching shirts and ties, probably more like a dozen. And in additon, he will probably be wearing those outfits many times a year, for many years. So while he did spend a moderate amount on those pieces, the cost is quite low per outfit.
How many times will you wear each of those $75 gowns, and for how many years?
I have had the same tuxedo for about 6 years, and wear it three times per cruise. Can you wear that one $75 gown three times on a cruise?

[quote name='scgirl816']So I hear that Celebrity is a dressier cruise line. I know we will have a captain's night to dress up for, but on the other nights, how dressy should we be? I heard that there are 2 nights that men need to wear coats. Where can I find this info? And for us girls...what is appropriate? Also plan to eat at Murano (Century) one night...what to wear there?

Thanks![/quote]

Sounds incredibly informal. Your definition of "informal" meets Cunard's definition of "Elegant Casual" and the next level up for Cunard is informal - which is shirt and tie. Most wear a suit. Then formal.

On our last 14 night trip, we had six formals. Every other night was informal.

On my trip in January - seven nights - five formals and two semi formals. Those five formals represent every night other than first and last.

You still think Celebrity is a dressy line?

Matthew

Actually, I don't think that I gave a definition for informal. And yes, I imagine Celebrity is dressier than our only other experience which was on Carnival. Your line sounds nice too. I love dressing up. I'll have to check it out.

Archived