What's wrong with Jamaica?

clearwaters

Do you and your family move around on the island? Do you feel safe there? How absolutely ridiculous that passengers on major cruise lines (I have reservations on RCCL) have to base an intinerary choice on which ports are safe or not! I guess the U.S State Dept is wrong, too?

If you REALLY want to help the people of Jamaica about whom so many, many posters complain, maybe somehow you can get the message out that U.S. citizen tourists don't like being pesterd, pulled on, hustled, hassled, groped, propositioned or confronted in any way. The locals need to calm down and quit it! I think you will find most U.S. citizen tourists are interested in RELAXING on a cruise-not fighting the local population during port visits.

Do you and your family move around on the island? Do you feel safe there?

Absolutely! As a family we've taken 3 one week land vacations to Negril. Never had a problem. Still my daughters favorite vacation. We also did a cruise stop to Ocho Rios last June. Took a trip 90 minutes from port. Had a wonderful time! Our response to this thread is based on our own experience. The majority of the people did leave the ship.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Sorry if you had such a tramatic experience the last time you were in JA. You seem very knowledgeable so I assume you have been.

Enjoy you cruise!

We love Jamaica. :) U can raft, ride horses, or just stay onboard and have fun. :p At sail away you get a band, and can throw $$ overboard and just have a ball with the locals.:D We love it so and can't wait until we go again next march on Voyager.:D

We booked a private tour in Jamaica (ocho) and had a wonderful time...we visited the cranbrook flower farm, where we hiked through some pristine rainforest to a secluded waterfall and natural pool where we could swim and relax. Afterwards, we had some great jerk and curry at the ultimate jerk center, and finished up by driving to a few scenic areas around ocho...we would be happy to visit again someday.

Absolutely! As a family we've taken 3 one week land vacations to Negril. Never had a problem. Still my daughters favorite vacation. We also did a cruise stop to Ocho Rios last June. Took a trip 90 minutes from port. Had a wonderful time! Our response to this thread is based on our own experience. The majority of the people did leave the ship.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Sorry if you had such a tramatic experience the last time you were in JA. You seem very knowledgeable so I assume you have been.

Enjoy you cruise!

:rolleyes: Obviously not, or I wouldn't ask so many questions!

I DO however, have faith in the truth and accuracy of the reports from countless posters on this and many other boards I have read. The bad reports from past visitors outweigh the good. :(

:rolleyes: Obviously not, or I wouldn't ask so many questions!

I DO however, have faith in the truth and accuracy of the reports from countless posters on this and many other boards I have read. The bad reports from past visitors outweigh the good. :(

I would not base my opinion on the number of bad vs. good reports...rather I would decide what my own likes and dislikes are. We enjoyed jamaica far more than cozumel and grand cayman, but others might have polar opposite likes and dislikes. What we considered to be a fantastic hike through the rainforest others might call a death march from hell; on the other hand, a day in a modern, florida-like resort is not at all appealing to us.

I would not base my opinion on the number of bad vs. good reports...rather I would decide what my own likes and dislikes are. We enjoyed jamaica far more than cozumel and grand cayman, but others might have polar opposite likes and dislikes. What we considered to be a fantastic hike through the rainforest others might call a death march from hell; on the other hand, a day in a modern, florida-like resort is not at all appealing to us.

Okay.

We were on Sea Princess which docked in Montego Bay last Saturday. We took shuttle taxi into Montego Bay and picked up a local guide for USD 20.

Absolutely fine, no trouble at all. He took us all around the town, into the flea market etc. all the time explaining local history etc.

We appeared to be the only tourists in town, but as I say no bother at all, never felt uncomfortable, sure having the guide helped.

I have been to Ocho Rios for a one week vacation a few years back. It was myself and a girlfried and we didnt have any problems. We did see the poverty and it is sad. I have also seen coditions just as bad in mexico and the bahamas. I will say that we did not go off by ourselfs and never after dark. The vendors are pushy but just blow them off. Its like the straw market in Nassau just ignor them or better yet dont go to the market areas. I will be in Jamacia in Jan and plan to do a tour. But for this port I will book through RCCL, the little extra it costs is worth it to have the group safty of cruise sponcered tour. They are not going to put you into a bad situation. They want you to have a nice vacation and return to them to sail again. So just use your common sence and be careful. Crime anywhere is always because of the opertunity, so just be careful.

PS In all the ports I've been to, the stupidest thing Ive seen, are people getting super drunk and then walking around:eek: I've even seen them miss the ship because of too much time at Carlos and Charlies:rolleyes:

I have been to Ocho Rios for a one week vacation a few years back. It was myself and a girlfried and we didnt have any problems. We did see the poverty and it is sad. I have also seen coditions just as bad in mexico and the bahamas. I will say that we did not go off by ourselfs and never after dark. The vendors are pushy but just blow them off. Its like the straw market in Nassau just ignor them or better yet dont go to the market areas. I will be in Jamacia in Jan and plan to do a tour. But for this port I will book through RCCL, the little extra it costs is worth it to have the group safty of cruise sponcered tour. They are not going to put you into a bad situation. They want you to have a nice vacation and return to them to sail again. So just use your common sence and be careful. Crime anywhere is always because of the opertunity, so just be careful.

PS In all the ports I've been to, the stupidest thing Ive seen, are people getting super drunk and then walking around:eek: I've even seen them miss the ship because of too much time at Carlos and Charlies:rolleyes:

Check. STAY SOBER. Check. STAY with organized group. CHECK. Back to ship if it starts getting dark. I don't want to cancel our shore excursions-I was looking forward to them . But I feel a responsibility to keep my family safe. :)

We've visited JA on both cruises and land vacations and always had a blast. JA has much natural beauty that many other islands don't come close to. Pick the right excursions (whether it be through the cruise lines or based on others recommendations) and you will be impressed. We've gone mountain biking, horseback riding (on the beach and in the mountains), relaxed on very nice beaches...

JA also has poverty the breeds some very aggressive street vendors. It is not an island that I would rent a car and tour on my own. We generally stay with group activities.

Many folks get off the ship in JA, walk 50 feet until the first street vendor approaches them, then return to the ship. Give JA a chance. Plan an activity with a group and you will probably have a very different experience.

We've done land and cruise visits to Jamaica. We had a good time in Montego Bay for our 7 day trip in 1989. We were hounded and felt very intimidated in th shopping area. Even laidback DH felt a little nervous. Our second trip was a cruise that stopped in Ocho Rios. As we were pulling in, you could see the locals coming down from the hills to "provide their services" to the cruisers. We went on a walking pilgrimage to find yummy meat patties ( like a beef empanada) and orange juice ( it was like a mango juice). We went off the beaten path and ended up finding some ladies house who served us. We at on her front porch and had a great time. We went back to MoBay for a land visit and smelled a horrific smell the first two days. Finally, we found out it was burning tires from a riot going on. Last summer, cruised back into Ocho Rios and felt very safe walking to Margaritaville, the Village shops and the Taj Mjal. We all noticed the positive change in the city. VERY few pan handlers and street vendors. We had a very nice visit. However, we are going to Mo Bay again for New Year's and decided we will only take the catamaran snorkle and Doc's Beach tour as they pick us up from the dock and bring us straight back to the dock. We can still "see" the island but we will only have very conservative contact

I was born and lived in 'Africa' for 28 years and I have always been nervous about booking a cruise with JA as a port, our Ruby cruise stops there and I booked it because it is the innaugral sailing and was doing some research about what to do in JA. After reading this thread it is a toss up:eek:

I guess I will discuss it with DH and see how he feels, at the end of the day I am on vacation and don't want to feel threatened or worse!!!:eek:

We just returned yesterday from a cruise that included JA. We had a great time at all the stops but JA. Cab drivers were relentless. We finally bargained with one to take us to Dunn's River and there we were virtually assualted by men wanting money to take your picture, sell you beads and other junk. They surrounded us and we were unable to leave the area until we gave them money and there were six of us together. That was my first and last trip to JA. If I were to go on a cruise that included that island again (douptful) I would just stay on the boat, do a ship excursion or go no further on our own than Margaritiville. It was a bad experience for us.

Bunkiew

Wow. I just finished reading posts about Jamaica on another site where passengers and travel agents were saying that some Jamaican locals turn off tourists by acting so very, very desperate.

I DID notice the consensus is that tourists seem to be somewhat insulated if they are on the ship's own excursions. (With the exception of the jet ski's where people have said they were set up and surrounded in the water by Jamaican locals selling all kinds of cheap crap.)

Was it in Jamaica where the tourists were on a shore excursion and were robbed by men with guns not too long ago? :confused:

Wow. I just finished reading posts about Jamaica on another site where passengers and travel agents were saying that some Jamaican locals turn off tourists by acting so very, very desperate.

I DID notice the consensus is that tourists seem to be somewhat insulated if they are on the ship's own excursions. (With the exception of the jet ski's where people have said they were set up and surrounded in the water by Jamaican locals selling all kinds of cheap crap.)

Was it in Jamaica where the tourists were on a shore excursion and were robbed by men with guns not too long ago? :confused:

I thought I had read that, they were in a group of about 12, I think on a Carnival cruise and were robbed and one of the elderly tourists killed one of the robbers. I will try do a search for it but I don't think it was too long ago:eek:

I thought I had read that, they were in a group of about 12, I think on a Carnival cruise and were robbed and one of the elderly tourists killed one of the robbers. I will try do a search for it but I don't think it was too long ago:eek:

Good.

You have 2 different stories jumbled together. There was an attempted robbery in the spring and one of the tourists, a "former" Marine did kill one of the robbers. It was easily proven self defense. The second instance was on a ship sponsored excursion and there was quite a lot about it here on the board - one of the people on the excursion posted his first hand account and it was pretty upsetting. It's not the cruise lines fault, crime is everywhere, but it reinforced many people's views that Jamaica has serious crime issues with no resolution in sight.

Been there several times and never do anything except a ship sponsored tours. First time the shopping was at one of those enclosed areas (not city center). Ladies were very persistent that you needed to buy something from them - not the other lady. So have done the island tour, did the Martha Brae raft (very nice) and have done the Rose Hall Great House - also very nice. Only problem we ever had was with the customs folks at the port while trying to get back on the ship. They were checking everything and the line rounded the interior of the building two or three times. Didn't hassle us because by the time we got to the check line Carnival had come down and "moved things along." Will be there again in Dec and intend to do the zip line tour - again ship sponsored. Wife does not like Jamaica - feels uncomfortable with the pressure from the vendors and after reading the tale of the robbery she is really not happy with the place, even on ship sponsored tours. Poverty is bad but then it is in Nassau as well - I was struck there by the class distinction - if you work for the govt or banking industry you are ok if not you are dirt poor. Now that may be a bit of an over staement but thats sure what it looked like. Point is poverty is not restricted to Jamaica and neither is crime. Point is we have never experienced anything out of line. Never been approached for drugs or girls - just pushy vendors, and we have seen them every where we have been.

You have 2 different stories jumbled together. There was an attempted robbery in the spring and one of the tourists, a "former" Marine did kill one of the robbers. It was easily proven self defense. The second instance was on a ship sponsored excursion and there was quite a lot about it here on the board - one of the people on the excursion posted his first hand account and it was pretty upsetting. It's not the cruise lines fault, crime is everywhere, but it reinforced many people's views that Jamaica has serious crime issues with no resolution in sight.

Let's get our stories straight before posting people...70+ year old ex marine did kill one of the robbers...In COSTA RICA. The other story that filled pages on this board months back was a tour group that was robbed on a tour outside MoBay.

I knew that the group where the robber was killed was not on a ship sponsored excursion but seem to remember they were in a crowd and the ship did wait for them even though they weren't on a ship excursion. I never implied it was the cruise lines fault:eek:

Archived