Trunk Bay Questions

nates04

I have several questions about Trunk Bay. First, how crowded would it likely be with 4 ships in port? To crowded to enjoy?

Secondly, has anyone done this tour through their ship, specifically with HAL? It says the trip is only 4 hours, so I imagine that only allows for 2 hours or so at the beach. Is this accurate? Did you find it worth making the trip out there? During this two hours do we have to stick with the ships people and do the trail, or can we go out and snorkle and swim on our own?

I know that we could do this trip on our own, but we like the time layout of the tour because that allows us to do some shopping in town following our return to St. Thomas. Also, we are doing some other tours on our own, and I don't really want to bother with arranging all the details of transportation.

Any input and advise would be helpful. Really want to see Trunk Bay, but also we (wife) wants to shop...will it work?

I have several questions about Trunk Bay. First, how crowded would it likely be with 4 ships in port? To crowded to enjoy?

Secondly, has anyone done this tour through their ship, specifically with HAL? It says the trip is only 4 hours, so I imagine that only allows for 2 hours or so at the beach. Is this accurate? Did you find it worth making the trip out there? During this two hours do we have to stick with the ships people and do the trail, or can we go out and snorkle and swim on our own?

I know that we could do this trip on our own, but we like the time layout of the tour because that allows us to do some shopping in town following our return to St. Thomas. Also, we are doing some other tours on our own, and I don't really want to bother with arranging all the details of transportation.

Any input and advise would be helpful. Really want to see Trunk Bay, but also we (wife) wants to shop...will it work?

We did the ship's tour through Princess......and two hours was enough time. It is worth the trip because of the boat ride there is nice and driving through St John's to get to the beach is beautiful.

Thanks for your input. I really love being at the beach, but agree with you and am thinking 2 hours should be enough time to enjoy the area...

I would be interested to know if while you were there if you had to follow the ships guides, or if you could move along at your own pace. We have been snorkling a lot, and would rather just go out and experience the area on our own...do you think this is a problem?

We did this with either Celeb or Royal Carib--it was a great excursion.

We walked a short distance to the ferry for the excursion group--it was a very rough ride- treat your tummy right for breakfast!-- Then we boarded trams to go to the beach--they gave us our snorkel stuff & instructions & we hit the beach--It is truly an amazing National Park--clean & well managed...had plenty of time to enjoy the snorkel trail whihc was awesome. Got some snacks & a tee short & changed in the nice locker room area..

Did the reverse on the return==never enough time at such a beautiful place but the excursion made it very easy to do,, There were several boats inport-two of whihc we were booked on for susequent trips--beach & water did not feel too crowded

We did this with either Celeb or Royal Carib--it was a great excursion.

it was a very rough ride- treat your tummy right for breakfast!--

Is this normally a rough ride? Do you mean eat breakfast, or not? What is the better way to go. I'm not normally prome to sea sickness, but now I'm a little scared.

Last week my husband and I were on Carnival Glory. Instead of taking a Carnival Excursion to Trunk Bay on St. John, we went on our own. It was very easy. We paid $6.00 pp for a ride from the port in St. Thomas to the Red Hook Ferry. This took about 20 minutes. The ferry ride was $5.00 pp and took only 12 minutes. The ferry took us to Cruz Bay in St. John where we paid $6.00 pp for a 10 minute ride to Trunk Bay. We rented beach chairs at Trunk Bay for about $6.00 pp..We spent about four hours swimming and laying out on the beach. The beach was gorgeous...When we returned to Cruz Bay, we went to Woody's and had a great fish sandwich, onion rings and a couple of beers (Bud Light, Miller Lights, etc. in a bottle for one dollar!), then visited a number of shops in Cruz Bay. We took the 5:00 p.m. ferry back to St. Thomas. We had a blast and were really glad that we went "on our own".

If you take the ferry on your own to St. John, be sure to buy round trip fare when you arrive at ferry station. We noticed the ferry gets really busy in the afternoon (rush hour) and many people were standing in line to purchase a ticket back to St. Thomas.

Last week my husband and I were on Carnival Glory. Instead of taking a Carnival Excursion to Trunk Bay on St. John, we went on our own. It was very easy. We paid $6.00 pp for a ride from the port in St. Thomas to the Red Hook Ferry. This took about 20 minutes. The ferry ride was $5.00 pp and took only 12 minutes. The ferry took us to Cruz Bay in St. John where we paid $6.00 pp for a 10 minute ride to Trunk Bay. We rented beach chairs at Trunk Bay for about $6.00 pp..We spent about four hours swimming and laying out on the beach. The beach was gorgeous...When we returned to Cruz Bay, we went to Woody's and had a great fish sandwich, onion rings and a couple of beers (Bud Light, Miller Lights, etc. in a bottle for one dollar!), then visited a number of shops in Cruz Bay. We took the 5:00 p.m. ferry back to St. Thomas. We had a blast and were really glad that we went "on our own".

If you take the ferry on your own to St. John, be sure to buy round trip fare when you arrive at ferry station. We noticed the ferry gets really busy in the afternoon (rush hour) and many people were standing in line to purchase a ticket back to St. Thomas.

Thanks!! Great info....can get to the Cruz Bay dock a little early to be safe and ensure have no issues with timing and the ferry to get back PLUS $1 beers while I wait and DW and DD's can shop....sounds perfect.

I appreciate everyones responses. I am still curious from those that have gone on a ships tour if upon arriving at Trunk Bay, if you were required to stick with the group on the snorkle, or if you were free to go explore the area on your own. I really just want this excursion for transportation reasons and am hoping we aren't asked to stay with the guide upon arrival.

I do believe that I have heard you can rent snorkle gear there to answer the question a few posts back, but I am not certain if that is true.

Again thanks for everyones help.

Archived