More Passport confusion

In2why

So I just read the "Before you go" pamplet from Carnival and now they are reporting that passport will be needed "no later than June 2009" and also mention the passcard. I might have missed this before in threads but I know this is new info to me. Last I heard it was the summer of 2008. Go figure:rolleyes:

we are cruising in January and thought we needed them then. My parents freaked out when they realized their passports were expiring this month (they thought they expired 11/08 and when they checked them it was ooops. They called the passport office in Miami and were told no worries.....they would be needed SUMMER 2008.

Yes the government website has stated the "no later than" 2009 for a while noe. I don't understand how they can put that. Let's say you don't have a passport but want to book a cruise for March... you book it and then they decide... ok February wasn't later then their no later than date.. can you cruise? (yes I have had a passport for 20 years so I'm not asking for me specifically)

Yes the government website has stated the "no later than" 2009 for a while noe. I don't understand how they can put that. Let's say you don't have a passport but want to book a cruise for March... you book it and then they decide... ok February wasn't later then their no later than date.. can you cruise? (yes I have had a passport for 20 years so I'm not asking for me specifically)

It does say they will give 60 days notice before implementation.

Yes the government website has st
ated the "no later than" 2009 for a while noe. I don't understand how they can put that. Let's say you don't have a passport but want to book a cruise for March... you book it and then they decide... ok February wasn't later then their no later than date.. can you cruise?       (yes I have had a passport for 20 years so I'm not asking for me specifically)

could you list the place where is says that on the state dept website?

The "no later than"(not sure where is says that) isnt the part people should be concerned with..its the "as soon as summer 2008". Since people know they have to get them, at some point, Im really not sure why the procrastination.

When Spring of 2008 rolls around people are going to be scrambling and complaining on this board and to elected officials about how the govt didnt give them enough warning.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

http://www.carnivalcruiselines.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

[u]CRUISE TRAVEL[/u] The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details. This requirement may become effective [b]as early as Summer 2008. [/b]

[b]Carnival strongly recommends that all guests travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation; and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications. Additionally, it will greatly help to expedite their debark process.[/b]

Your right, it does say Summer 08 on the Carnival website, i already have my passport but i guess i should head on over to the Government website and see if it has been changed there also.

I like to keep up on these type of things.

Actually this goes further than the "summer of 08" .

I just booked a cruise and in my documentation this is what Carnival says. (I wish I knew where they are getting their info cause I didn't see it on the government website. But I am guessing that they are active in the lobbying)

"The US government will require all our guests (including US citizens) to be in possesion of a valid passport when traveling in any Carnival Cruise. This requirement will become effective no later than June 1, 2009. Please be aware that this effective date may be moved to an earlier date pending the US government immplementaion of new identification cards (passcards) that will provide a less expensive alternative form of documentation."

So I wonder if they know something that hasn't been released yet? I sure would like to wait for the passcards, and I have some time before I need to decide. But this is absolutely a confusing issue.

All the information is available on the DHS website--they control the how and when of passport use, the State dept. just issues them. A quick summary is found on the sticky thread entitled Passports on the "ask a Cruise Question forum".

Short(ish) summary: the revised proposed WHTI law added an exception for RT cruises from the US--no passport needed for those. Can still use a BC and DL in 2008, 2009, and beyond. This all changed last June and has been under much discussion since then.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=467948 (see page 10 for the revised law and DHS FAQ pages)

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1182350422171.shtm (Cruise exception listed about halfway down the page)

I am always amused when people post these passport questions. All the problems are resolved by simply getting a passport. I just don't know why anyone would want to leave the country without one? Go figure.

Amen! Just get the passport and get it over with!

:rolleyes:

I am always amused when people post these passport questions. All the problems are resolved by simply getting a passport. I just don't know why anyone would want to leave the country without one? Go figure.

I agree 100%. I don't even go to the DMV without my Passport. All my kids have them too. My youngest got her Passport when she was 4 years old.

I agree 100%. I don't even go to the DMV without my Passport. All my kids have them too. My youngest got her Passport when she was 4 years old.

I know what you mean. Both of our boys are working on their second passport.

Archived