Why I chose the cruise I did to alaska

cruisepal48

I see on these boards people wanting ideas and asking for help picking a cruise. I choose 1st for the itinerary. I went to Alaska in 2005 and we went down tracy arm and I must say I was disappointed because I could hardly see the glacier. DH wants to see Sitka so we are going on Holland America Westerdam in June. It goes to Sitka and Glacier Bay so we both will get what we want. DH likes the freestyle dining of NCL but now Hal has anytime dining so he's happy about that. I also want to leave out of Seattle so thats a factor. We live 2 hours from there. Price is somewhat of a factor but we weigh in everything. When we went in 2005 on The NCL Spirit and it did go on the east side of vancouver island so I don't mind going on the west side this time. I hope this helps some of you pick your Alaska cruise:)

I goes with Itinerary--> Cost --> Cruiseline in this order. I think by doing cruise only once a year and not sticking to any specific cruiseline, I will never dream about becoming a Platinum member of any cruiseline.;)

Well, Dave...if you cruise EVERY year - eventually you'll be OLD, and you WILL become an elite member of one or more cruiselines! :)

After reading everything on these boards, the ultimate decision as to what to include and not is the individual. Sounds like you have made your choice based on what is important to you. Enjoy the trip.

We all have different priorities. These were mine:

1. RT from Seattle, easy drive for us

2. Large room at affordable cost- seating area & balcony for <$1600 PP

3. Visit Skagway; really want to do the train/bus combo to Yukon

(higher on my list than glacier viewing)

4. Good entertainment- nice showrooms w/options for time/type

5. Hassle-free traditional dining; don't want to wait in line or make

any choices except what to eat

6. Ports- lots of time in port; dock instead of tender

7. Early season cruise, due to other commitments

I obsessed about our first cruise and land trip. We ended up cruising on the 3rd ship that I booked (Coral Princess), and the land itinerary changed countless times. The second cruise (northbound HAL Veendam in 2008) was SO much easier to pick, because I wanted to see new ports and a different glacier, and the date needed to concide with a conference I'll attend in the Anchorage area post-cruise. When the conference ends, we'll go to Denali for 2 nights, drive back to Anchorage, go on a 4-hour Prince William Sound glacier cruise, then fly home.

Archived