Star to Mexico with a Toddler- just back!!

lacurtis

We just returned from the Star Oct. 23- 31st Mexican Riviera cruise and had a wonderful vacation with myself, my husband (DH), my daughter (DD) who turned 2 on the cruise, and my parents. I got so much info from these boards as we prepared to go on this trip that I thought it would be nice to share what we did and what worked.

I submitted a review that should be posting soon, but if anyone has any other questions- let me know.

We are sailing on the Star 11/24 with our 2 year old (3 in Dec). I would love to hear any tips that you have for crusing with a 2 year old and also any "must-do's" and things to avoid. Did your child do the Kids Crew? We are hoping our son with enjoy it. He loves preschool, so we have our fingers crossed. Also, did you go into any of the ports, and how did that work for you? We are doing the Pirate Boat Adventure in PV and hoping our son enjoys that.

Were there any laundry specials like stuff a bag? I have seen the Star when we were on the Diamond Princess docked at PV. Boy they have a nice kids area that we would have used when our kids were younger. There is going to be a good variety of ships for the Mexican Riviera starting next fall so trying to decide the ones for our top picks.

We are sailing on the Star 11/24 with our 2 year old (3 in Dec). I would love to hear any tips that you have for crusing with a 2 year old and also any "must-do's" and things to avoid. Did your child do the Kids Crew? We are hoping our son with enjoy it. He loves preschool, so we have our fingers crossed. Also, did you go into any of the ports, and how did that work for you? We are doing the Pirate Boat Adventure in PV and hoping our son enjoys that.

He should love the Kids Crew- my DD was a little young but kids who had been in preschool loved and they have activities morning, afternoon, and night. They always seemed to be having fun!

My review just posted- let me know if you have other questions.

Laura

I've heard that the Star offers an $1/item ironing special on the day you sail. Did they have that when you sailed? I'm crossing my fingers that they do, because I don't want to iron before the cruise!

Yes, they had this on the sailing day only.

Were there any laundry specials like stuff a bag? I have seen the Star when we were on the Diamond Princess docked at PV. Boy they have a nice kids area that we would have used when our kids were younger. There is going to be a good variety of ships for the Mexican Riviera starting next fall so trying to decide the ones for our top picks.

They offered this the 3rd port day. It was $15 for everything in the bag. We had mostly DD's clothes and had 24 items and the bag was only 3/4 full.

The downside was that the clothes did not return until our last night at sea.

This is a very fun ship for families!!

When traveling with a two year old on a cruise pack their favorite snacks. It will make your life a lot easier while you are on the islands. Make sure you pack enough diapers/pullups for the entire trip. You don't want to have to spend a day in port searching for diapers. I always used disposable sippy cups while on cruises. I would rinse it out between uses and then toss it at the end of the day. If I went out onto the island I would put it in a ziplock bag because they tend to leak. Always carry an extra change of clothes in a ziplock bag with you when you go out onto an island. Then if they do have an accident you can seal it in the ziplock bag without getting anything else wet. :) I also stocked up on juice and milk in the morning so that I had enough to get through the day w/o having to ask for more.

Lacurtis,

Thanks very much for the review, just posted today. It's great to read one with such enthusiasm and so thorough too. My wife and I are booked in an obstructed view cabin, same cruise, next Feb. It was especially good to read that there were no big problems with the cabin location.

You did mentioned that your cabin was just next to one of the life boats used as a tender. Was there allot of noise in the morning due to the lowering operation? We are booked in 8112, starboard side and mid ships - just four forward from the center stairwell (7 cabins back from yours).

My other question for this location is what the noise level might be drifting in from the atrium and from Endless Summer.

Thx

Lacurtis,

Thanks very much for the review, just posted today. It's great to read one with such enthusiasm and so thorough too. My wife and I are booked in an obstructed view cabin, same cruise, next Feb. It was especially good to read that there were no big problems with the cabin location.

You did mentioned that your cabin was just next to one of the life boats used as a tender. Was there allot of noise in the morning due to the lowering operation? We are booked in 8112, starboard side and mid ships - just four forward from the center stairwell (7 cabins back from yours).

My other question for this location is what the noise level might be drifting in from the atrium and from Endless Summer.

Thx

These are great cabins. We only got noise on the 2 days we tendered, both in the morning at arrival time and at departure time in the afternoon. You may not even be near the boats used for tendering, the outer boats stayed on the ship in ports. If you look on the deck plan you can even tell whether or not you are in between boats (we were) or whether you will be looking right at a boat. The plus side is when the boats are down, the view is incredible!!

We were directly above the stairs down to the piano bar/ Havana Club and could hear very light and peaceful piano music. My parents were in 8596 directly across from us and above Ginza and they never heard a thing. You may hear very slight music from the atrium, but it is peaceful and usually ends by 8:30 every night.

• 2 weeks later...
Could you tell me which ports are docked and which are tendered?

Going on the same ship in January.

Thanks

The OP will answer this, I think you only tender in Cabo....but I have never been to Ixtapa.

A question for the OP, as well, I've heard that the tender process in Cabo backs up a lot, particularly between 9 and 10. Any guess on the wait in that port?

Also about Cabo, it looks like Ship Time and Cabo (land) time are the same - is that the case?

Thanks for such a good review. We are taking our sons and their families on the Star in Jan. Will have 3 1/2 yr old and 2 1/2 yr old granddaughters along,:D so good to hear of all the fun things for them to do. This will be our second trip to Mexican Riviera, but first time on NCL Star. We really enjoyed the ports of call on our last cruise. The Jan. one is very similar to the one we took on the Mercury a couple years ago.

Thanks again for good info!:)

Deb

I've heard that the Star offers an $1/item ironing special on the day you sail. Did they have that when you sailed? I'm crossing my fingers that they do, because I don't want to iron before the cruise!
they did when we were on the Star last month, also had the $20 per bag laundry special about the 4th or 5th day.

Nita

The OP will answer this, I think you only tender in Cabo....but I have never been to Ixtapa.

A question for the OP, as well, I've heard that the tender process in Cabo backs up a lot, particularly between 9 and 10. Any guess on the wait in that port?

Also about Cabo, it looks like Ship Time and Cabo (land) time are the same - is that the case?

We tendered in Cabo and Ixtapa.

don't know if the OP is still reading this thread but maybe someone else knows. We will be on the Pearl on Dec. 23. We will have our 1 1/2 year old granddaughter with us. Is it safe for them to walk around on the promenade or upper outside decks or should they be in a stroller or back pack. I cant remember if the railing has an opening down low that she might slip out of.

Just paranoid I guess!

thanks

• 1 month later...
don't know if the OP is still reading this thread but maybe someone else knows. We will be on the Pearl on Dec. 23. We will have our 1 1/2 year old granddaughter with us. Is it safe for them to walk around on the promenade or upper outside decks or should they be in a stroller or back pack. I cant remember if the railing has an opening down low that she might slip out of.

Just paranoid I guess!

thanks

It looks like you already cruised so you got to see first hand how safe the ships are. It is amazing how free they can be on a ship this size. I am still wary of the balcony because she could push a chair over and climb but the overall public areas on the ship would be very difficult to get up and over.

Yes we did have a very safe and wonderful trip. Deck 7 the promanade was the best place for her to burn off energy. She could run, look at the water and rest on a lounger if she wanted. And it was good exercise for us too chasing her! Thanks for all your help.

Archived