Adventure of the Seas October 28, 2007

Another disappointing cruise on the AOS :mad: I hope RCI realizes how many passengers they lose because their staff cannot enforce simple rules on their ships.

###

The OP actually didn't mention any actual "rules" that were broken, though. Certainly, there are inconsiderate people on all cruises, and if there were more than normal on this one, I could see how that might dampen the experience. The stuff about wearing jeans to the dining room or "clothes" rather than swim suits in the pool, though, is just not worth worrying about. Elevator etiquette is another thing that is a common complaint, regardless of what cruise port you're leaving from.

I guess I'm just asking, exactly what rules are not being enforced by the staff?

dddewitt - I am not going to discredit your experience. I have seen enough threads around here about ALL ships that leave from PR, not just RCCL cruises. So I know that you are telling the truth. You were uncomfortable, no doubt.

But in order to remedy the situation, I don't know what RCCL or any cruiseline, for that matter, can do? :confused:

It's kind of like taking a cruise from South Hampton...I am willing to bet there will be lots of British people onboard. ;)

Taking a cruise out of Phillie or New York, lots of loud Italian Americans onboard (yes I can say that cause I am one of them :p )

So I guess my question is "What can be done?" On my last Carnival cruise they played rap music on the pool deck to cater to the black majority of cruisers (yes I was in the minority). I didn't complain.

So when leaving a cruise out of SJ, consider that you *may* not be in the majority. And if that bothers you then do not cruise out of SJ.

If there was a lot of rude behavior, that is unfortunate. Your post does seemed to be tinged with a bit of prejudice, though. There is no rule against jeans in the dining room. There is nothing wrong with having activities geared toward Spanish-speaking passengers, if there are a large number on the ship. I'm not sure exactly what distinguishes PR music from Caribbean music, but there is nothing wrong with the ship showcasing local culture of it's home port. They often do the same with ships out of FL, TX, New Orleans, etc.

I could be wrong, but I sense that you started with a negative image of the Puerto Rican people/culture and therefore were more apt to notice any rude behavior in order to reinforce your prejudice.

Now that is a load of BS. Sorry to say that. Cruises out of Fort Lauderdale have no Florida theme. The theme is always the flavor of the destination. And I highly doubt that a caribbean cruise out of Galveston has a constant coybow theme and line dancing when going to the Caribbean.

The home port has nothing to do with a theme (it shouldn't).

The OP actually didn't mention any actual "rules" that were broken, though. Certainly, there are inconsiderate people on all cruises, and if there were more than normal on this one, I could see how that might dampen the experience. The stuff about wearing jeans to the dining room or "clothes" rather than swim suits in the pool, though, is just not worth worrying about. Elevator etiquette is another thing that is a common complaint, regardless of what cruise port you're leaving from.

I guess I'm just asking, exactly what rules are not being enforced by the staff?

I realize that you are somewhat new to CC - some of us who have been around for a while have been reading the same type of complaints for years. RCI has been allowing this type of behavior way too long.

###

Now that is a load of BS. Sorry to say that. Cruises out of Fort Lauderdale have no Florida theme. The theme is always the flavor of the destination. And I highly doubt that a caribbean cruise out of Galveston has a constant coybow theme and line dancing when going to the Caribbean.

It is very different when the home port has a language other than English and approximately half of the passengers come from the home port and have different cultural values. It definitely behooves RCL to have special programs/events available to the Puerto Rican clientele. If you think the friction is bad now, imagine the uproar among the Puerto Ricans if their was nothing from their culture provided by the ship.

Actually, I didn't even suggest that it was themed around the home port, but there is usually some amount of local talent from the home port area. I cruised out of New Orleans a couple times, and they had some Zydeco music and a Cajun dance class. And I've seen some "cowboy" influence on a cruise from Galveston. That was what I was talking about. You exaggerated my comment considerably to get to "Florida-themed" or "Cowboy-themed" cruises.

Edit: And they did have line dancing. No, it was not a constant theme, but it was a little slice of the home port.

I realize that you are somewhat new to CC - some of us who have been around for a while have been reading the same type of complaints for years. RCI has been allowing this type of behavior way too long.

###

I understand, but am still curious what rules you referred to earlier.

It is very different when the home port has a language other than English and approximately half of the passengers come from the home port and have different cultural values. It definitely behooves RCL to have special programs/events available to the Puerto Rican clientele. If you think the friction is bad now, imagine the uproar among the Puerto Ricans if their was nothing from their culture provided by the ship.

The funny part is that we always tell US based customers to go with the flow and embrace different cultures when going on a cruise. Why can't we expect that from Puerto Ricans? Why go on a cruise if only your culture is featured? You might as well have a weeklong street festival in San Juan.

Believe me I am over critical of passengers who are constant whiners. If RCI makes Puerto Rican themed cruises they should advertise that.

BTW, I am going on that exact itinerary in September. If I see a little snot face running over an 80 year old I drag him by his ears to security. And I don't care of he is Puerto Rican, American or Russian.

MakinGpld...2 weeks ago I was totally on your side. I thought the people who made comments like mine were prejudice. All I can say in my defense is that you haven't been on that ship. I suggest you take the cruise so you can find out for yourself. I am not being prejudice, but pointing out the culture differences that created frustration on the ship.

BTW, My very first cruise was a Southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan (but it was a little before AOS existed). We loved it.

The funny part is that we always tell US based customers to go with the flow and embrace different cultures when going on a cruise. Why can't we expect that from Puerto Ricans? Why go on a cruise if only your culture is featured? You might as well have a weeklong street festival in San Juan.

Believe me I am over critical of passengers who are constant whiners. If RCI makes Puerto Rican themed cruises they should advertise that.

BTW, I am going on that exact itinerary in September. If I see a little snot face running over an 80 year old I drag him by his ears to security. And I don't care of he is Puerto Rican, American or Russian.

What?!? Who said it was a "Puerto Rican themed" cruise. What was mentioned was that there was some Puerto Rican music and some events for Spanish speaking guests. When I was on AOS I didn't feel the theme was in the least bit Puerto Rican.

What makes you think that the Puerto Ricans are "going with the flow" any less than the Americans? I do not see Puerto Ricans posting here that no announcements should be done in English since Spanish is the priamry language of the home port. I don't think any of the Puerto Rican guests felt that the ship resembled San Juan or that only their culture was represented. I would say that most events in the cruise compass were in English and had zero Puerto Rican theme.

As for the last part of your post, I 100% agree. :)

Some of the rules as stated in the Guest Vacation Policy:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Guest_Vacation_Policy.pdf

Common courtesy goes a long way :D

###

I'm not sure that link works for me. I couldn't find the rules against:

Puerto Rican music.

Speaking Spanish.

Jeans in the dining room.

"Clothes" in the pool.

Pushing the door close button on the elevator.

Failing to say "excuse me."

:D

I'm not sure that link works for me. I couldn't find the rules against:

Puerto Rican music.

Speaking Spanish.

Jeans in the dining room.

"Clothes" in the pool.

Pushing the door close button on the elevator.

Failing to say "excuse me."

:D

I don't think I mentioned those as being rules, did I? I was referring to being rude to your fellow passengers and crew :D

###

I sailed on the Serenade from San Juan on a 7 night So. Carib in March of 2004. I definitely would not say that that cruise displayed any of the AOS behavior. We also sailed the Serenade out of SJ for a 14 night repo in 2005 in April. Is the Serenade different?

I have heard of this type of behavior before.

Okay, so, when is the time to cruise the So. Carib route on the Adventure so that you MISS these kinds of situations?

This seems to be more Adventure than the other ships that sail from SJ likley due to the size of the ship and extent of the activities on board.

As to timing to miss these situations, I can not help. If you want timings to find a more NA based clientelle, then I would expect that any North American holiday week or school break would be a good time to go if you want a more NA clientelle (not necessarily a better behaving one but you asked...) Just look for the weeks that are $100 or so more per person and these are likely ones that are selling well. You should also check for dates when Quinces are being offered on this ship if you want to avoid large PR groups. I also note that many Quinces are now being offered on Liberty and Freedom ships from Miami so we will see how that all plays out on the boards.

This is the first time after reading so many posts about the AOS that I am seriously thinking of backing out:( I want my family and I to have a good time. I've got some serious thinking to do' date=' ah, what to do, what to do.

Anyone thinking the same?[/quote']

My wife and I just cancelled our southern Caribbean cruise due to this type of situation.

I too agree that if someone ran into an older individual and leveled them, it does not matter if they are white, black, green, yellow, American, Russian, Italian, and so forth, to security they will be going. It does not matter which ship either, Adventure, Mariner, Explorer, Sovereign, the same will happen. Matter of fact, I have done this very thing once.

Tim

A number of years ago I took this cruise with my sister and we had a great time.:) Yes, there might have been a few instances,:( but we just did not let them bother us. I enjoyed watching people enjoying themselves no matter what there etchnicity:D but I do not particularily care for people who over induldge in alcohol period (being drunk is not a pretty sight:mad: ) and that is how many accidents happen on all ships. My DH and I are leaving this Saturday for this same cruise. We are very excited and looking forward to a really good time. ;) I am sorry that some of you have had such bad experiences, but its the people not the cruise line. I have, at times, left out of LA or San Diego and believe me some of these people don't behave in an acceptable manners either:eek: . Parents no matter on land or sea need to keep there children in tow and make sure there is good behavior. Hopefully you next cruise will be better for you!

Smooth Sailing!

I was on the AoS exactly 2 years prior to the OP (Halloween 2005) and we found exactly the same kind of behavior. While it may not be against the rules, the loud and inconsiderate actions of many large groups of children and teens (I was not on a Quincenara cruise) made our vacation less enjoyable than it should have been.

There were also plenty of adults that behaved in ways that we found disturbing - pushing in line at the buffet, talking all through the shows, showing up extremely late to dinner - etc, but our biggest issue was with the unsupervised children running amok on the ship at all hours.

Myself, my husband, and our travel companion decided against taking any other cruises sailing from San Juan. I've personally traveled to over 50 countries and lived on 5 continents, so I assure you I've been exposed to other cultures and this was way beyond any social norm I've experienced. I've been assured by Puerto Rican friends that this type of behavior is not acceptable in their culture, but until I hear that things on AoS are less chaotic I can't imagine booking another cruise on her.

How about not saving seats in the theatre? That's a clearly posted rule. So is no diving or jumping in the pool. And no shorts in the dining room. And no kids in the solarium.

How about not talking loud enough to disturb others during performances in the theatre? Or arriving disruptively late for dinner or a show? Or cutting the buffet line? Or pushing someone and not saying "excuse me"? While these aren't as clearly posted, they are still rules of normal conduct in public places.

I have been on two cruises out of San Juan, and while this might not be politically correct to say, I've observed that SOME locals use the "excuse" that they don't speak/understand English as justification not to follow the rules, or not behave in an acceptable manner in polite society. They project an aura of entitlement, without regard for the other people around them who are sharing the same public space.

To the OP: You are not out of line with your comments here. I've been on AOS and on a San Juan based ship of another cruise line and have witnessed exactly what you've described. Having been in your shoes, I understand that you are not bashing these people and are not making prejudice comments when describing your experience.

It's not just a matter of following rules, but also a matter of respect for fellow passengers. Sometimes the clientele on San Juan based cruises do not behave in a respectful manner towards the other people and the crew onboard.

I have sailed the Serenade out of San Juan without any of these problems.

It seems every time someone posts a negative review of the AOS, they are picked apart. This is the OP's OPINION and experience.

Whether or not you think the OP had preconceived prejudices, he/she and many others, did not have a good time. Conversely, I'm sure there are those who had a good time.

If these types of incidents would be bothersome, then don't choose AOS. If you think they're not a big deal, sail AOS. The OP is just putting info out there for our review.

I don't have the time or the inclination to read through this entire thread, because I already know what the "theme" is.

Suffice it to say, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times, with the 4th and 5th booked for this coming February. The AOS is a fantastic ship with an amazing crew and outstanding itinerary. Yes, there are Puerto Rican's onboard, yes the announcements are in both Spanish and English...who flippin cares?????????????

I tried to ignore this thread all day....but here I am, defending the AOS....AGAIN!

For all those who have yet to sail on the AOS, please don't be influenced by what you read. Go and see for yourself that it is a fabulous ship and you will have a great cruise! If I had taken heed to everything I read on here that was negative about the AOS, I would have missed out on great cruise experiences :)

I'm sorry for ranting. It's just that this topic is getting very old. I am not saying that people have not had negative experiences, but believe me those experiences are not just limited to the AOS - they can happen on any ship. Let's face it.....3500 passengers??? There is bound to be some rude people in the mix.

That's my 2 cents.

Archived