Adventure of the Seas October 28, 2007

dddewitt - I am not going to discredit your experience. I have seen enough threads around here about ALL ships that leave from PR, not just RCCL cruises. So I know that you are telling the truth. You were uncomfortable, no doubt.

I have yet to see these issues on ALL ships that leave from San Juan. I researched quite a bit over the last few weeks, and this appears to be limited to the AOS and the Carnival Destiny only.

Regardless of which side you stand regarding this entire thread, my only real gripe is that people should know what they're getting themselves into when they book a cruise. What I mean is that if half the ship is booked for a Nascar convention, for example, other folks who are looking into booking that particular cruise should be able to find out that type of information. It's all about the lack of information available so people can make informed choices.

I sort of get what you're saying, but . . . that seems like a difficult road to go down. For one thing, the cruiselines don't and shouldn't ask for information about ethnicity or cultural background, when you book a cruise. I know, in the specific example you're citing, they surely would know if a much larger than normal proportion of P.R. locals were booked on a sailing, but still, I'm not sure that's the kind of information they should be obliged to make public.

I don't have the time or the inclination to read through this entire thread, because I already know what the "theme" is.

Suffice it to say, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times, with the 4th and 5th booked for this coming February. The AOS is a fantastic ship with an amazing crew and outstanding itinerary. Yes, there are Puerto Rican's onboard, yes the announcements are in both Spanish and English...who flippin cares?????????????

I tried to ignore this thread all day....but here I am, defending the AOS....AGAIN!

For all those who have yet to sail on the AOS, please don't be influenced by what you read. Go and see for yourself that it is a fabulous ship and you will have a great cruise! If I had taken heed to everything I read on here that was negative about the AOS, I would have missed out on great cruise experiences :)

I'm sorry for ranting. It's just that this topic is getting very old. I am not saying that people have not had negative experiences, but believe me those experiences are not just limited to the AOS - they can happen on any ship. Let's face it.....3500 passengers??? There is bound to be some rude people in the mix.

That's my 2 cents.

I totally agree with you, except I kept reading. wow what a bunch of jibberish . Here is my 2 cents also. People reading these threads need to know that there is a very small percentage of the cruising population here. You need to make up your own mind, keeping it open also, and hopefully not be influenced by someone else's feelings. I think the OP here went on the cruise expecting to have these experiences, and went looking for them as well. Our last cruise on Majesty, they had announcements in spanish also. I have run into some of the rudest people from New york, New Jersey, Miami, and just about anywhere else. I wonder, if they discounted fares for locals say from New Orleans, or Baltimore, or Albequerque, would people on the thread have the same things to say about not going on the cruise, as they do for the people of PR.

I'm sorry, but I have to beg to differ here. I was told that this specific sailing was offered to the local folks in PR at a super cheap price. I think we all agree that there will be more local folks out of each ship's home port, but this particular cruise was a special case. I don't know if this deal was offered because it's a slow season, or maybe some type of a holiday in PR (someone mentioned to me that Halloween is a HUGE holiday in PR; schools close, etc.; not sure if that is true or not). The $300 per person sounds about right. I don't know about any taxes that PR residents may have to pay.

These taxes are not for us only, they are already included in your rate when RCCL gives you the price, it is only a marketing hook to attract people. About your "source" give it to me to see if I can get one of those extraordinary offers because in 20+ years that I had been vacationing in cruises from here, Miami, and Europe I have never obtained one of them. Common, test it for yourself, go to RCCL and open a reservation and select San Juan as your place of residency and you will see the prices, then open for your home and compare them.

Common, test it for yourself, go to RCCL and open a reservation and select San Juan as your place of residency and you will see the prices, then open for your home and compare them.

I did, yes the price for us in AZ was $40 cheaper, however you don't have the airfare involved. Not seeing your point! :confused:

###

Enough already! The time of year that these posts pop up seems to be in the Fall when the cruising season is a bit slow. If you don't want to experience these issues and you insist on sailing in the Fall (prime hurricane season) then do sail out of another port. You might be happier.

If, on the other hand, you are sailing during other times of year (see my signature) then know that the AOS can be perfectly fine. I have posted before that I witnessed worse behavior sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on the Jewel than I have ever experienced on the AOS.

My first AOS trip, Captain Remo was in charge and I think there were people being put off at nearly every port for whatever reason. I was never exposed to it, but he certainly kept our ship sailing smooth.

As for the music on the ship...I've been on the AOS twice and intend to sail again. There is more latin music played at times than Caribbean, but we are sailing from PR after all. They advertise special times in the disco that salsa will be playing and they even had a top deck party one night. Were there mostly Puerto Ricans at those parties? Yes. Did I go? Yes. My tablemates were from PR and they were having a good time trying to get me to shake my booty. :D

I am upset that anyone would run down an 80-year-old and think it is funny. I am also upset that worrying about jeans in the dining room seems to equate with that type of behavior.

Now, that I am done with my rant, I think I will return to my roll call thread. :D

Jen

I did, yes the price for us in AZ was $40 cheaper, however you don't have the airfare involved. Not seeing your point! :confused:

###

My point, "Those So Special offers Does Not Exist" at least exclusive for us!!! As continuously said, Air fare, yes you are right, but we are talking base fare. You have that option too, because in theory, you could drive to one of the sailing piers in mainland.

Still confused?

Again, Puerto Ricans ARE Americans

Well, we're US citizens, but I would never say that we're Americans. Our political status is different from our cultural identity. Although we are part of the US, our culture is quite defined and much different from the American culture. KFC and McD's on every corner notwithstanding :D .

For example, Puerto Ricans are wonderfully enthusiastic, and loud. They rejoice in life, laughter, and family. Almost anything at all can precipitate a celebration and party. And they do that very well;). When I think of PR, I don't think of violins and waltzes and champagne, I think of guitars and merengues and salsa and the best rum anywhere. (which, by the way, is made my Don Q-or anyone but Bacardi). And lots and lots of laughter.

I appreciate your obvious fondness for our culture, but stereotypes are stereotypes, no matter in which direction they go. My family is not loud, we don't party, I detest merengue, which BTW is not from PR, but from the Dominican Republic. Salsa is our local dance music, and I abhor it too :D. We do love classical music, though. I don't drink rum and I have never ever in my life called myself "boricua." I cringe every time the "Soy boricua" cheer comes on :eek: . So tacky, IMO (sorry).

We were on AOS for NYE this past Jan (2006-07) and I was quite worried because of everything we had read here, which BTW is extremely embarrasing and mortifyng to those of us who do know how to behave in a civilized manner. I was almost on the lookout for bad behavior by the "natives", KWIM? To our surprise, we didn't see it. Yes, we saw some women in hair rollers and one in a housedress. Tacky, tacky, tacky. But most of the instances of yelling, elevator crowding, rudeness in the shows, pushing and shoving came from two groups: a large number of Spanish-speakers from another country (which I shall not name, not to continue with the stereotyping :) ), and an enormous family group from, well, let's just say a non-Western country. They exhibited many of the obnoxious behaviors described here, and had venues closed for their private celebrations. Of course, with the Spanish-speaking group, unless you (generic you, not addressing any one person) can tell the different accents, you'd probably think they were all PR. OTOH, you wouldn't pick out my DH and me from the crowd and say "Ohhhh, loook, they are PR yet they're so well behaved." We just disappear into the non-rowdy bunch, which leaves you without a different reference for Puerto Ricans.

or maybe some type of a holiday in PR (someone mentioned to me that Halloween is a HUGE holiday in PR; schools close, etc.; not sure if that is true or not).

Sorry, not true. Halloween is no bigger than in the US. This year we got exactly 3 groups of kids for trick or treat, each with 5-7 kids. The only holiday in October is Columbus Day.

Well, we're US citizens, but I would never say that we're Americans. Our political status is different from our cultural identity. Although we are part of the US, our culture is quite defined and much different from the American culture. KFC and McD's on every corner notwithstanding :D .

I appreciate your obvious fondness for our culture, but stereotypes are stereotypes, no matter in which direction they go. My family is not loud, we don't party, I detest merengue, which BTW is not from PR, but from the Dominican Republic. Salsa is our local dance music, and I abhor it too :D. We do love classical music, though. I don't drink rum and I have never ever in my life called myself "boricua." I cringe every time the "Soy boricua" cheer comes on :eek: . So tacky, IMO (sorry).

We were on AOS for NYE this past Jan (2006-07) and I was quite worried because of everything we had read here, which BTW is extremely embarrasing and mortifyng to those of us who do know how to behave in a civilized manner. I was almost on the lookout for bad behavior by the "natives", KWIM? To our surprise, we didn't see it. Yes, we saw some women in hair rollers and one in a housedress. Tacky, tacky, tacky. But most of the instances of yelling, elevator crowding, rudeness in the shows, pushing and shoving came from two groups: a large number of Spanish-speakers from another country (which I shall not name, not to continue with the stereotyping :) ), and an enormous family group from, well, let's just say a non-Western country. They exhibited many of the obnoxious behaviors described here, and had venues closed for their private celebrations. Of course, with the Spanish-speaking group, unless you (generic you, not addressing any one person) can tell the different accents, you'd probably think they were all PR. OTOH, you wouldn't pick out my DH and me from the crowd and say "Ohhhh, loook, they are PR yet they're so well behaved." We just disappear into the non-rowdy bunch, which leaves you without a different reference for Puerto Ricans.

Sorry, not true. Halloween is no bigger than in the US. This year we got exactly 3 groups of kids for trick or treat, each with 5-7 kids. The only holiday in October is Columbus Day.

Thank you, Amapola.

Having just wasted two hours of my life (that I will never get back) reading this thread, this is exactly what I wanted to post, but felt that I didn't have the standing to say.

To everyone who thinks that the OP, and other posters, are "ganging up" on Puerto Ricans, then you haven't read the threads about cruisers who swear that they will NEVER AGAIN cruise during spring break, or during the summer, or during the week in October or November when NJ schools have a teacher inservice holiday, etc., etc., etc.

There are many reasons that cruises are disrupted, and many different groups of rude passengers.

But rude passengers are rude passengers.

No one should say that "all" Puerto Ricans do certain obnoxious/rude/discourteous things, but neither should anyone excuse Puerto Ricans (OR ANYONE ELSE) who *does* commit those offenses.

But my theory is that the Quinceanera cruise promotes more groups on board then might normally be. The sales might entice a single family to take advantage of the price break, where the party will be huge family groups which I would think would add to the takeover feel.

That's been my experience and observation.

I'm Puerto Rican, born and bred.

1. In Puerto Rico it is not the custom to talk loudly to your buddies while on a show or concert of any type. Some people do it, of course, but it's not acceptable behavior.

2. In PR it's considered incredibly rude to cut in line anywhere. Some inconsiderate people may do it, but, again, it is not socially accepted behavior.

I do not condone rude and disruptive behavior and I'm very sorry for the awful experiences some of you have had on the Adventure, but I must say I don't understand why some posters complain about ship announcements being in English and Spanish. If there are thousands of Spanish-speaking people cruising I think it is only fair that they understand what's going on in the ship. Yes we are American citizens and yes there are many Puerto Ricans that can understand and speak English, but that is not the case with all Puerto Ricans. The majority of Puerto Ricans understand some English but cannot speak the language well, or at all.

Thanks for posting this! I just couldn't buy the rude behavior is just their culture bit. I have been on two cruises out of SJ and on one of them, my first experience out of SJ, I was a little scared at times. I was afraid at a ship party one night that there was going to be a riot, or fight or something....all the chanting, cheering, body slamming was new to me. There were SJ flags being flown, etc. Then I realized that these people from SJ were just very proud of their island. There were a great number of people who were rude but I didn't see any physical situation like the op talks about here.

The next cruise I took out of SJ, we had a group of older SJ's who were apparently in a domino tournament....they were everywhere and it was fun to watch them play....and so we booked AOS. I am very concerned about our cruise this coming weekend but do realize that I can't take the attitude that I WILL experience bad behavior as I don't want to set myself up for the negative. I wrote RCCL about my concerns and received a call telling me what to do if I experienced problems from "anyone" Otherwise, I am going with an open mind, and ready to enjoy a wonderful ship and have a great cruise! I do however read posts like this one from the OP because I read all the posts about any ship, any cruise line I may be thinking of going on. The people of SJ are not all rude, obnoxious, etc. but there are some rude and obnoxious ones as I experienced on my first cruise. But ya know what, I experienced rude people yesterday in my local grocery store. The lady was cutting line and yelling that she was in a hurry. People allowed her to cut line and then we all rolled our eyes at each other and went on about our business.

I have spent too much money and need this vacation so much that I will wait and see what my experience is and will post it upon my return. Posting about our "personal" experiences and our "personal" opinions is what Cruise Critic is about and I for one hope that never changes.

Happy Cruising!

Hi folks,

Let's for a minute not focus on the specific instances of rude behavior. I have no doubt that they occured and that there may have been more general disregard of some rules and traditional ship ambience than most of us are used to.

I am not in any way excusing such unacceptable behavior.

However, there are cultural differences or characteristics that may make some people uncomfortable or uneasy. The result is a climate in which many actions are viewed suspiciously or overblown, or which are found offensive or objectionable when no malice or disprespect was intended.

For example, Puerto Ricans are wonderfully enthusiastic, and loud. They rejoice in life, laughter, and family. Almost anything at all can precipitate a celebration and party. And they do that very well;). When I think of PR, I don't think of violins and waltzes and champagne, I think of guitars and merengues and salsa and the best rum anywhere. (which, by the way, is made my Don Q-or anyone but Bacardi). And lots and lots of laughter. This 100% attitude is apparent in all aspects of their lives. Ask anyone who served in Vietnam (like me) and they will tell you that PRs were, as a group, the most gung ho and courageous soldiers there.

This exhuberance, particularly when many from the same family or group of friends travel together, may be carried throughout the venues such as the pools and other public areas, and could easily be intimidating or obnoxious to those expecting a more serene sail.

While many may be unsuspecting and caught off guard by the atmosphere of a cruise from PR, it is also a wonderful opportunity to experience their unapologetic joy of life.

There is an old adage that goes, "if you can't beat them join them." Imagine for a moment that you are in one of the lounges at night and they keep playing PR music and all "those people" are hogging the dance floor. You could resent it because you haven't heard the music you wanted to hear or you could walk up to any PR man, woman, or couple, tell them how great they dance, and ask them to show you how to do those steps. I guarantee you would immediately be one of the gang and would have more fun than you had hoped for that night.

One other factor, unfortunately, probably also influences the way many PRs act on board and negatively affects our impression of them. Most of us have preconceived notions about how a cruise should be in terms of ambience, customs, and traditions. I own my own tux and always observe dress codes. But, please realize, that for people from PR or many other countries where the possibility of cruising is a relatively new and almost unimaginable fantasy, they don't have that history or background. Sure, they could and should learn the basic ground rules, but I can understand why they don't put as much value in such things as the dress code as many of us do. Many of them are likely on a cruise for the very first time and, when you get such a group together, they may behave in ways that they wouldn't if they were both not so naive and in a larger group.

So, here's the deal. If you are sailing from PR, expect a large proportion of PRs. (if you are sailing from Florida, you will likely get a sizable number of elderly FL residents). Expect that they will be noisy. Expect to hear a lot of Spanish language and music. Expect that the cruise will be a bit different from others you have taken. That is just the nature of the beast.

If that is not for you, then perhaps you should consider a different cruise.

On the other hand, such cruises are a great way to make new friends, learn about a culture that is such a large part of our overall identity, and enjoy a unique experience.

Muchisima Gracias.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Thanks I saw this after I just posted and you said exactly what I was trying to say only much better! But physical contact and then laughing about it IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!

Thank you, Amapola.

Having just wasted two hours of my life (that I will never get back) reading this thread, this is exactly what I wanted to post, but felt that I didn't have the standing to say.

You're welcome, and thank you!

But rude passengers are rude passengers.

No one should say that "all" Puerto Ricans do certain obnoxious/rude/discourteous things, but neither should anyone excuse Puerto Ricans (OR ANYONE ELSE) who *does* commit those offenses.

Amen! :)

I'm sorry, but I have to beg to differ here. I was told that this specific sailing was offered to the local folks in PR at a super cheap price. I think we all agree that there will be more local folks out of each ship's home port, but this particular cruise was a special case. I don't know if this deal was offered because it's a slow season, or maybe some type of a holiday in PR (someone mentioned to me that Halloween is a HUGE holiday in PR; schools close, etc.; not sure if that is true or not). The $300 per person sounds about right. I don't know about any taxes that PR residents may have to pay.

Regardless of which side you stand regarding this entire thread, my only real gripe is that people should know what they're getting themselves into when they book a cruise. What I mean is that if half the ship is booked for a Nascar convention, for example, other folks who are looking into booking that particular cruise should be able to find out that type of information. It's all about the lack of information available so people can make informed choices.

I've said before that cruiselines should have to reveal if any large groups will be on a particular sailing...I'm glad to see that you haven't been chastised for the same statement as I was.;) :p

We keep hearing more and more complaints about the AOS...if RCI is being forced to fill this ship with "firesales" then something is wrong. Hopefully they will wake up and reposition AOS somewhere else and put a smaller ship out of SJ.

Just think of this. A spaniard goes to Galveston and boards a RCI ship. People are speaking english, the music is rock and roll all the time, nobody speaks spanish so they can't interact. Expresso coffee is not served, paella is not served, only hamburgers, steak and french fries or mashed potatoes. No flan, hojaldre or tarta, only cheesecake and apple pie are served.

How will the spaniard feel?? Does he have the right to complain and moan about the cruise to RCI?? Will he ever board out of Texas again???

Probably, because I bet he knew what he was getting into and understood that that type of cruise will be geared to the "US clientelle".

GET IT !!!

Just think of this. A spaniard goes to Galveston and boards a RCI ship. People are speaking english, the music is rock and roll all the time, nobody speaks spanish so they can't interact. Expresso coffee is not served, paella is not served, only hamburgers, steak and french fries or mashed potatoes. No flan, hojaldre or tarta, only cheesecake and apple pie are served.

How will the spaniard feel?? Does he have the right to complain and moan about the cruise to RCI?? Will he ever board out of Texas again???

Probably, because I bet he knew what he was getting into and understood that that type of cruise will be geared to the "US clientelle".

GET IT !!!

More and more people are "getting it" and will be reluctant to sail out of SJ, at least on the AOS.:) The locals will have to terrorize each other instead of non-spanish speaking gringos.

Let's see here. If I were a first time cruiser, and did not want to be around any rude people, only wanted english spoken on any announcements, God forbid if the pax didn't speak it, no unruly kids, no unruly parents for that matter, and only music themed from where my itinerary took me, I guess I should cancel, according to the comments on these threads, right?? Oh wait a minute, this happens on almost every cruise from anywhere, doesn't it. Well I think maybe I'll cancel the threads for a while. A cruise is what you make it. If you are looking for the negatives right off the bat, then you will probaly find them. If you let it bother you, then whose fault is it any way.

Buenas dias:)

Tinaparrotthead, you have a wonderful attitude and I am sure you will have a great cruise. Thanks for you kind comments about my post-please note in the first two paragraphs I emhasized that I was not referring to any specific actions-I don't condone rude behavior and certainly not physically harming anyone and poking fun about it.

Amapola, I apologize for painting all PRs with the same brush-I should have qualified my remarks by saying "many" or "most" instead of inferring all PRs were as I described. Nevertheless, I think it is a fair generalization and helps to explain many aspects of their behavior.

By the way, I grew up in PR and later returned as an advisor to the Guardia Nacional de PR. I have probably danced to the Merengue de Coqui a hundred or more times, have heard Pablo Casals at the Tapia, don't drink at all , and don't "party." I hadn't been back since 1969 till I had the pleasure of retuning on cruises twice in the last few years, and it was just like going home again. I gorged on coco frio, piraguas, pastelillos, and plantanutre (sp?). Next time I plan on taking the Catano ferry and pigging out (pun intented) at a lechonera so my wife can experience PR away from the tourist areas and Viejo San Juan. So, I guess my appreciation isn't for your culture, it's for ours:) .

On our last cruise, we made arrangements to be tablemates with a couple who we came to like on the roll call. Their home town was in Florida, and we had no idea that they were from PR. He was a native, and she met and married him when she went to work there. We enjoyed each others company immensely for 15 nights, and are sailing together again next spring. He even surprised me with a google satellite picture of my old school, and we had a blast. Wish we had a whole shipload just like them. No, they don't fit my generalization either-they were a nice elderly couple-but their love of life was unmistakable and contagious.

Anyway, we have all pretty much beat this horse to death. I think we all agree that rude behavior is rude behavior and is never acceptable. I think we agree that there are certain aspects of a cruise from San Juan that are different than, say, from Baltimore.

The main reason we travel is to experience new cultures, people, food, music, and sights. I hope that we will all keep an open mind and be receptive to learning about, understanding, and embracing those differences.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

PS, just a footnote to those who may persist in complaining about the PR experience-the ships you are on are not US ships. They are foreign ships and you are sailing from a predominately Spanish speaking country. You are the guest in their country, but you are the one who is bringing your language and customs to another place and expecting or trying to impose them on others. Perhaps you should be grateful they make the announcements in English;)

Let's see here. If I were a first time cruiser, and did not want to be around any rude people, only wanted english spoken on any announcements, God forbid if the pax didn't speak it, no unruly kids, no unruly parents for that matter, and only music themed from where my itinerary took me, I guess I should cancel, according to the comments on these threads, right?? Oh wait a minute, this happens on almost every cruise from anywhere, doesn't it. Well I think maybe I'll cancel the threads for a while. A cruise is what you make it. If you are looking for the negatives right off the bat, then you will probaly find them. If you let it bother you, then whose fault is it any way.

I completely disagree. 15 cruises, I know how to make the best of things, believe me.

I didn't have to LOOK for any negatives, they were FORCED ON ME.

GET IT !!!

How does anyone feel when they visit another country. Please I have traveled all over the world you adapt to the culture that you are in. If this is the culture that PR wants to display you might as well kiss tourisem in your own country good-bye.

I have been to San Juan and stayed in a hotel X3 always a good experience. And AOS is not geared to PR clientelle is is a southern Carib cruise that embarks/debarks there.

And those of you that know about this because if you are on cruise critic you are aware of the problem. Heck it was a problem when I went on her when she was new.

This ship has a serious problem so if you know this ahead of time stay away. IT WILL NOT CHANGE!!!!!

Cancel bookings alot of them this is where it will hurt RCI...It may be a story for the media , travel magazene.

From the RCI website:-

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

con_bulletgray_ico.gifCasual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifSmart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for womencon_bulletgray_ico.gifFormal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Meaning of the word suggusted as shown in the dictionary on my desk:

1: to seek to influence

All this whittering on about people wearing jeans in the dining room is really starting to annoy me now. Not once does it say anywhere in any RCI literature that jeans MUST NOT be worn. Who cares what other people wear when they are on vacation, does it actually physically harm you to see people in jeans? No, of course it doesn't. As long as it's not actually hurting anyone, people on here need to start chilling out a bit and let others live their lives as they see fit, not as you want to dictate to them :mad:

How does anyone feel when they visit another country. Please I have traveled all over the world you adapt to the culture that you are in. If this is the culture that PR wants to display you might as well kiss tourisem in your own country good-bye.

I have been to San Juan and stayed in a hotel X3 always a good experience. And AOS is not geared to PR clientelle is is a southern Carib cruise that embarks/debarks there.

And those of you that know about this because if you are on cruise critic you are aware of the problem. Heck it was a problem when I went on her when she was new.

This ship has a serious problem so if you know this ahead of time stay away. IT WILL NOT CHANGE!!!!!

Cancel bookings alot of them this is where it will hurt RCI...It may be a story for the media , travel magazene.

What you define as a problem, others will see as a plus, advantage or benefit. It all depends on what you want to make of your experience. I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree with you.

More and more people are "getting it" and will be reluctant to sail out of SJ, at least on the AOS.:) The locals will have to terrorize each other instead of non-spanish speaking gringos.

Thank you. At least someone realizes that the problem has nothing to do with language.

We keep hearing more and more complaints about the AOS...if RCI is being forced to fill this ship with "firesales" then something is wrong. Hopefully they will wake up and reposition AOS somewhere else and put a smaller ship out of SJ.

Amen;)

Archived