December TA weather...

lysolqn

We're on the Century transatlantic (Barcelona - Miami) in December. We've taken the same southern route transatlantic before but in October and it was warm (70s) and sunny all the way. Of course there are no guarantees, but this time we've no idea what to expect temperature-wise. The crossing itself is seven days and even it's cool when we leave Europe, I imagine at some point it should warm up as we get closer to Florida. If you've done a southern transatlantic in December, would love to know what kind of weather you had. Thanks!

We did the Millennium TA last December from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. The crossing was between December 2nd and December 10th (pod problem). For the most part, the weather was warm and sunny with highs in the mid to upper seventies. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. Now I'm thoroughly confused; the ports we're calling on (Malaga, Cadiz, Gibraltar, Agadir, Tenerife...) show the averages to be in the 50s in December, so I assumed the crossing would be about the same until we get closer to Florida. This cruise is a bear to pack for!

I was also checking last night. We are on the 12/2 Millennium crossing. I am expecting weather like San Francisco in the Summer Time... :D

In other words 45-58 with a chance of some days in the 70's

Jim

Thanks Jim...that's what I thought until I read the response from DaveFr who enjoyed mid/upper 70s on a similar crossing at the same time last year.

Packing for 45/58 is quite a bit different than packing for mid/upper 70s. I'm stymied and hope a few more people who've done a TA in December respond. Guess I'll keep "bumping" this thread until then.

Just to clarify, the temperatures I gave in my original post (mid to upper 70's) were only for the actual transatlantic crossing between Tenerife and Florida. While temperatures were not quite as warm between Barcelona and Tenerife, most days were at least in the mid to upper 60's. I comfortably wore a golf shirt at the stops in Corsica, Malaga and Tenerife. We packed for colder weather and were very lucky to hit a warm spell.

Hopefully, you'll have similar weather.

Dave - I sure hope we have the same warm weather. Our northern crossing was chilly. Celebrity planned a cocktail party for our group on the fan tail one evening at 11:00 PM. It was so cold the wait staff stayed busy handing out wool blankets and hot drinks.

I've been concerned about the same thing. I would like to book the Summit's 11/22/2008 TA southern crossing. I went and read all the reviews of similar crossings for the same time of year and didn't find anything. I e-mailed one of the authors and received this reply below.

Jim

It could be nippy at night during Nov/Dec. I do this every yr,, in fact leaving in less then 2 wks for a 28 days Millie adventure..

We have gotten up at 6 am and needed warm clothes outside, like 45° . During the day it may get into the 60s but never warm until you get into the caribbean then of course you have beautiful weather.

I hardly used the balcony in the crossing except for fresh air since with the ship moving and the cool ocean it was just too much. But still beautiful on the ocean.

I d compared the weather to a May Alaskan cruise. We went on the Mercury in May 2005 and it was very brisk up there in Ketchikan and Skagway.

I d go for the TA if I were you, they are so relaxing and fun. The Millie leaves on 12/2 for FLL after our 2 weeks in Europe.

I live in the UK, and often holiday in Spain and Portugal in Winter. The weather in Dec. varies from day to day, but you need two types of clothes. In the morning and evening it is generally chilly, but rarely really cold . In the day time it can vary between cool to quite warm and sunny. We did a TA last year, and are doing so again in a few weeks. You could be by the pool in a jacket one day, and your costume the next. I agree packing is " a bear " ....its worse for us as we go on to a Caribbean cruise after. :D

Thanks; your responses have been quite helpful. It appears we'll have to pack for multiple contingencies - a bit of warm weather clothing, a bit of cool weather clothing and clothing for weather in between. Doesn't look like we'll be able to pack light for this one!

Thanks; your responses have been quite helpful. It appears we'll have to pack for multiple contingencies - a bit of warm weather clothing, a bit of cool weather clothing and clothing for weather in between. Doesn't look like we'll be able to pack light for this one!

I've been struggling with this one, too. I've decided LAYERS is the only answer. My warm weather clothes will be under my sweaters/sweatshirts. And i so hope I can use my balcony with a blanket! Balconies are a rare treat for us, so I want to use it!:(

I went on the December TA 3 years ago...beautiful weather. I am on this years one also. I will keep my fingers cross for the same kind of weather.

Last time, the sea day following Gibraltar, everyone was under blankets taking the sun. It was strong. After that it was swim suit weather all the way to Florida.

I loved our balcony and sat out all the time. ..perfect for relaxing and reading.

Layers is the wasy to go for Europe and windbreaker is a good idea..after that I wore regular caribbean type clothes.

Archived