Fins an Flippers Island

Getaway3

I saw some fish but nothing of real note. The water is very shallow.

I would e-mail Fins and Flippers with your question about how far to swim. Only one of our party swam that far, and we were all by the Fins and Flippers pool when he did so.

I'd rather Fins and Flippers answered your question.

Thanks Sandpebbles, all your info has been very helpful :)

Roatan was docked and the walkoff was easy. We went to Fins & Flippers, and spent a wonderful relaxing day by the beach and pool. Lunch at $5pp was easily the best value. The $20pp entry and the free transportation to and from the island was far cheaper than the excursion, or a taxi to Tabyana Beach. Best of all, NO Crowds! Our company that day at Fins & Flippers were mostly NCL Sun crew! Entire resort was immculate. Restroom were new, clean marble and well maintained. JOb well dine by Cindy and her crew. The snorkeling was disappointing, but overall a wonderful day. Make your resevsations in advance and save the extra $5pp.

Thanks everyone for the information - it sounds like a great place.

assowal - you mentioned that the snorkeling was disappointing? Can you tell me a little more about it - were there many fish? How was the coral? Do you think it would be better to do a boat snorkel? I went diving once in Roatan and it was the best I'd ever seen... I don't want to be dissapointed if the snorkeling is mediocre at Fins and Flippers, though everything else sounds great.

If snorkeling is your main interest, go elsewhere! We were a large group and we went with the crowd. Snorkeling saw some fish, not much live coral. Apparently we did not swim out far enough for the drop-off where others said the snorkeling was better.

A group of 6 women, 3 in our 50's and 3 in their 20's will be in Roatan in May on the Carnival Legend. We are looking for a relaxing day on the beach & snorkeling and maybe a few drinks thrown in. Is fins & flippers for us? Or would we be better off going to somewhere like Myan Princess or something on that beach? We are doing the party scene beach in Cozumel so we really just want to enjoy a nice beach with fantastic snorkeling. Thanks for any information you can offer.

Typically a great sandy beach does not have fantastic snorkeling. Snorkeling needs coral, rocks etc. Sandy beaches are mostly exposed to the open water which waves create the sand. F&F may be just the thing for you with snorkeling (swim out further to the drop off, Cindy will show you where) and enjoy the beach and the pool. The bar is good, and not outrageoulsy priced.

I thought there was a place to post reviews of ports of call, but don't see a place for that so I will post info. about our excursion here.

We went to Fins & Flippers at a cost of $20pp. We had emailed them prior to sailing to let them know we were coming, but were not required to pay in advance or leave a deposit. The Spirit was an hour late arriving to Roatan which put us there at 4pm. We knew the boat ride over to the resort was short (3 to 5 minutes) and knew we would only have about an hour and 1/2 of daylight, but had nothing else in mind to do. We got off the ship and hung about 3 rights, asking along the way how to get to the F & F boat. Everyone was very helpful. I think F & F is part of Anthony's Resort as we saw that name at the dock to get on the F & F tender.

We were greeted by Cindy when we arrived. What a tranquil, beautiful, tropical, unspoiled resort! There were only a dozen or so of us there, so we basically had our own private beach and sunset. What a perfect way to end the day.

It was windy that day and we were told the water was shallow over the coral, so to be careful not to get banged up if snorkeling. We rented equipment anyway (appx. $10). I did not get to see much coral or many fish as I was being a chicken and keeping my distance from the coral, but others said they saw beautiful fish & coral. Would have loved to have had a couple hours just to snorkel there.

Upon sunset we headed up to the bar (where there there is a very nice fresh-water pool area) and ordered food and drinks at very reasonable prices ($5-$9). Wonderful homeade chips and bean dip served in a tabletop chiminea (sp). It was so relaxing and serene. We did not want to leave, but really didn't want to miss the boat either! We took the tender back over the Roatan around 7, shopped for about a 1/2 hour and got back on the boat by 8. Since we arrived 1 hour late, they did extend our stay until 9.

15 y/o later reported that several kids on the ship reported that they or someone they knew were offered drugs on the street. There is a well lit building full of souvenirs and that is where we shopped. We had wanted to buy coffee (at $2/lb). but would have had to wonder down the street a couple blocks....maybe in the daylight, but "no thanks" after dark! Ended up getting the coffee at $1.50/lb in Guatemala the next day anyway!!!

LOVED Fins & Flippers!! would recommend to everyone....especially those that have the whole day in port. Go now.....before word gets out , prices go up, and it gets crowded.

When you have a chance, please read the Sticky titled ***Do not post on the Roatan Forum without reading this first!!!! at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=358953. Please note all review posts must be a response to someone asking for the information and not the start of a new thread. I believe all the Port of Call Forums have basically the same Sticky.

Per the Guidelines, your post should be removed. However, I have moved your review post to an established thread instead. That way you will not wonder what happened to it. Also, other members will be able to read your review.

I hope this information will be satisfactory and thank you for your review.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

If snorkeling is your main interest, go elsewhere! We were a large group and we went with the crowd. Snorkeling saw some fish, not much live coral. Apparently we did not swim out far enough for the drop-off where others said the snorkeling was better.

Signed up for F&F in April. Actually, the sea grass area is one of the best for snorkeling. All kinds of interesting critters reside in these grassy areas. One must be looking to find them, but one of our best scuba dives was over sea grass in Cozumel and we saw 10 times the critters as some of our deeper dives. So be sure to pause over the grass, go slow and look hard. You'll find small octopi, dog fish, puffers, even sergant fish and most probably flounder and spotted sting rays. Remember not to touch though!

I have a question though. Did anybody go to the area to the right of the beach on the harbour side that looks as if it is poured concrete? I was thinking it may be an artificial beach they created, and can you sit on that rather than on the sand flea beach?

Would a beach person enjoy this place? I love the water but my mom is definitely more of a "lay in the sun and take a quick dip in the water to cool off now and again" person ... would this be a good place for us? Can you walk into the water from the beach without water shoes? Does the sand go through the grass? Is the grass real weedy and icky or nice?

Thanks!!!

Would a beach person enjoy this place? I love the water but my mom is definitely more of a "lay in the sun and take a quick dip in the water to cool off now and again" person ... would this be a good place for us? Can you walk into the water from the beach without water shoes? Does the sand go through the grass? Is the grass real weedy and icky or nice?

Thanks!!

We went to Fins and Flippers on New Years...had a wonderful time..took our 75 year old parents..they loved it...small island, beautiful place can't wait to go back...when you visit their website you will see just how beautiful it is :) email me and I will send pics :)

gkk361954@yahoo.com

We went to Fins and Flippers on New Years...had a wonderful time..took our 75 year old parents..they loved it...small island, beautiful place can't wait to go back...when you visit their website you will see just how beautiful it is :) email me and I will send pics :)

Thank you! I e-mailed you today. ;)

Ok, so I was looking at the F&F website, the island looks really small and kinda crammed next to the mainland ... did you get that feeling while you were there?

Is there beach area all the way around the island or just on the one side?

Also, was there much air traffic on that runway next to the island?

Someone mentioned that the beach felt more like being at a lake and not an ocean ... can you still enjoy waves lapping up on the shore or is it really still?

Those of you who have commented on how shallow the water is off the pier, how shallow are you talking? 2 feet? 4 feet?

Sorry I have so many questions!!

Ryffian,

was at F&F last week... LOVED IT!

We were on the Spirt so it was a short stay, Island is small but we never felt it... was my family of 6 and 3 others. When we arrived they had loungers out for us on the beach. As far as the planes, 2 or 3 came in around 5 and that was it. (were not talking a big metro airport here!)

Yes there are still "waves" just nice & gentle. As far as snorkling, at the end of the pier and down the ladder it is about 3 ft deep, they say if you go out about 50 ft or so it drops off but there was so many fish to see closer we didnt venture out and you would need to be a stronger swimmer I think to get back in. TONS of coral, in fact so much you really couldnt kick as you would scrape your knees!!! :D It was so neat just to "float" and see all the fish and beautiful plants and coral. My whole family loved it and was so glad we went even though it was only for about 3-1/2 hours. I cant wait to go back and hopfully spend the day!:)

kas37, did fins and flippers also bring you directly back to the ship? or to the docK?

They bring you directly to the dock where the ship is docked (and for us they brought us just around 7pm so we could have as much time as we wanted on the island).......up a few steps and you are at the gangway.......we felt like we were part of "the Lifestyles of the Rick and Famous" as we were delivered to the dock!!

They bring you directly to the dock where the ship is docked (and for us they brought us just around 7pm so we could have as much time as we wanted on the island).......up a few steps and you are at the gangway.......we felt like we were part of "the Lifestyles of the Rick and Famous" as we were delivered to the dock!!

We also felt as if we were part of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous with our time with Fins and Flippers. Not only were we brought right to the dock but our group of 8 were the only ones at Fins and Flippers that day. The place is beautiful. A perfect way to spend our time in Roatan.

Is this place to good to be true? Let me recap to make sure I understand how "perfect" this place is. 1st* THeir boat launch is a 2 minute walk to the right of the dock. well marked with signs; 2nd * only a 2 - 5 minute water taxi ride to F&F; 3rd * Only $20 if pre -register on line thru their website; $25 per person if paying that day; 4th * the day includes: a beach, pool, chairs, snorkel area off the dock in shallow water, better spot 30 - 40 yards out. 5th * cheap or inexpensive food and drink; 6th *friendly staff with very few visitors there. The only downer seems to be the sand fleas? I'm going the week of 3/23! If this is all true why whould I spend so much $ on any other beach excursion thru Carnival or anyone else?!

We were at f&f last Friday. It really is just as good as everyone says. I do want to say thought that we were there on a friday and our ship was the only in town. Also we had bad weather. When we were there I think a total of 15 others (of the 15 was a family of 8 or so) had joined us throughout the day and many had went over to the pool because of the weather. The majority of the time is was me, my hubby and our son on our own private beach. When I asked a couple who discovered our private island later in the day if they agreed how fabulous it was they commented back "yeah, were were just talking about how we feel we are in a Carona commercial". The water is very shallow all the way out to where you see the doc. The snorkeling once we got out past the 1st bit of coral (it's a little narrow and you have to find the right "path") is amazing! I hadn't been snorkeling like this since we went to Molikini in HI! The large family that hung out at the pool, a few of them kept coming back out ... they were addicted too. For any of you that remember Fantasy Island ... remember how someone came and greeted them as soon as they landed? The same here. When the boat got to the doc, a gal came and gave her name and told us she was there to tell us a little about the Island. Later, sitting on the beach, a waiter came by every now and again to make sure we didn't need another pina colada and beer. Try the fundito's. They're basically chips and bean dip, but Roatan style. Nummy! The taco's to me seemed more like an American enchilada. Also very good! We had been to Roatan before and loved it at Half Moon Bay. Seeing how built up it has been in the past 8 years we were looking for something that would remind us of the time before. We were not disappointed. At this point, I've probably gone on too long as it is. I just wanted to give you a little taste of paradise. I hope it has helped. If I get any video uploaded, I'll share the link.

For the poster who asked if it felt crowded looking at the town. The beach actually is on the other side of the Island so you look out towards the mainland which is far off. It is undernaeth the flight pattern of the airport though which was a little crazy when a big jet came in (once). It made me think of the scene in that Tom Hanks movie when the Fedex plane is crashing. All other planes throughout the day were small and we would waive at them.

So, can anyone comment on the sand fleas?

If you have been there recently, is it still an issue?

I just hesitate to take a toddler there and risk her getting bit, or having to put Deet on her little body!

I think all beaches in roatan have sand fleas. We got a couple bites, but had forgotten to bring the bug spray. If your little one has bug spray on (I think there is even a spray that is bug spray plus sun block) they should be OK. I live in the NW so mosquitoes are an issue all summer. I think at certain times of year, the sand fleas are worse. In Carolina they have no see-ums. Are these the same thing?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived