Category E cabins - Nautica

marylander2

I was "upgraded" by Oceania from category F to category E. Since the upgrade is "complimentary", my TA told me I can't refuse it. It is kinda ironic because the difference in space is quite sensible (about 20 sf smaller... it doesn't have a sitting sofa... besides, although it has a window, the view is obstructed) and since we are going for a looooong cruise (BKK to PKG) it may be a trojan horse from cruise line.

Any ideas/suggestions are highly welcomed. Has anyone had those E cabins in the past sruises? Can you share your experience/comparison?

Thanks in advance!

I was "upgraded" by Oceania from category F to category E. Since the upgrade is "complimentary", my TA told me I can't refuse it. It is kinda ironic because the difference in space is quite sensible (about 20 sf smaller... it doesn't have a sitting sofa... besides, although it has a window, the view is obstructed) and since we are going for a looooong cruise (BKK to PKG) it may be a trojan horse from cruise line.

Any ideas/suggestions are highly welcomed. Has anyone had those E cabins in the past sruises? Can you share your experience/comparison?

Thanks in advance!

We didn't have it but the folks we knew onboard did...they spent lots of time at the lounge area on the pool deck, or other lounges, as there is NO place but the bed to sit. I was afraid I'd be "upgraded" to an E room but luck was with me twice as first I was upgraded "free" to a C room then got a call from our TA offering a 1A or 1B for $200 more pp. which made it quite a deal, from an inside gty. price+ $200. Sorry but it spoiled us...we really loved the veranda so our future trips will probably cost much more! No the E rooms ...I'd rather be inside!:rolleyes:

Hi, we leave this month and I got upgraded from a G guarantee to an F and am very happy. Am glad I didn't get an E, we definitely want the sofa and we don't want the light (I sleep in on holidays and he gets up early, the one time we had a big window we fought over the sleep vs light issue). With an inside he just gets up and goes out (gym or breakfast). I get breakfast in bed on the sofa. SO MANY reasons not to want an E it must be said.

Hi:

Cabin 6030 and 6033 are great cabins, they are smaller but the view is wonderful, it has a sitting sofa and table but most people ask fo the table to be removed.

We are on the same cruise. Are you going to Bangkok early?

I see ither people are on the same JAL flight .

Elayne

Hi:

Cabin 6030 and 6033 are great cabins, they are smaller but the view is wonderful, it has a sitting sofa and table but most people ask fo the table to be removed.

We are on the same cruise. Are you going to Bangkok early?

I see ither people are on the same JAL flight .

Elayne

Hi Elayne,

Thank you so much for response; do you know this for sure - I mean, about these two cabs., 6030 and 6033, that they have sofas? Have you traveled in either of these cabins before, or you had a chance to peek?

We do not care much for sitting on it for a long time, it's just a good place to decompress/drop your stuff after a day ashore... otherwise, everything goes on the bed, which is not good.

We do not plan to come to Bangkok eariler, we were there already. Great city, lots of things to see.

Thanks to all other fellow cruisers for replies, I guess we have to talk to our TA to get our cabin F/inside back...

Hi:

Elayne

I know that these are the best two OV cabins, as the lifeboats outside the windows are just small zodiaks. However, I do not think that they have sofas. There is no room in the OV's for a sofa.

If I remember correctly, having checked out both 6030 and 6033, there is no sofa. There is a chair at the desk / mirror area. The view is not bad, however. If you think of a horse with blinders on that is the best way to describe the view. You can see straight out, but nothing panoramically. It's nice to get the daylight and some view. The square footage is a bit smaller, but if you are enjoying your cruise, you probably aren't going to be spending a whole lot of time in your stateroom other than to sleep, bathe and dress.

Rickey

You do not have to take the "upgrade" ..if you dont want the stateroom refuse it..

Jan

...either my TA or Oceania (according to TA). His explanation of such "generosity" from O. side was that since this is a free upgrade, we do not have a choice but to take it; in fact, he continues, if we want to get back into cat. F/inside, we may do that, but at current (higher) price.

All this sounds somewhat fishy. We dealt with our TA for more than 7 years and never had a glitch of such kind.

Maybe the problem was that we had "F gurantee", but not an assigned one? Meaning, in this case O. can twist our arms whichever way they want to?

Ideas, suggestions, comments are highly appreciated.

It is kinda weird situation, we want to get out of it... but currently do not see the way. Every call to O. ends up with "talk to your TA".

...Maybe the problem was that we had "F gurantee", but not an assigned one...

Aha. That sounds exactly like the "problem". You never had a specific "F" stateroom to give up, and there is no specific stateroom to which you can return. My guess is that no "F" staterooms became available to satisfy your guarantee, so Oceania is offering you an "E" stateroom instead. Regardless of whether an "E" cabin suits anyones' taste, the fact is that Oceania considers it an upgrade from an "F", with which, considering that you can at least tell whether it is day or night outside, I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in cabin 6030 for a ten day cruise in August. I was very pleased with the window, we could see practically everything that we would have with an "unobstructed" view. However, there is no sofa, and if we were on a longer cruise or a less port intensive itinerary it would have been a little too small for me. I will say that being in the "cheap seats" we never felt like we were treated differently because we didnt have a "gold" or "platinum" door key.

We were in cabin 6030 for a ten day cruise in August. I was very pleased with the window, we could see practically everything that we would have with an "unobstructed" view. However, there is no sofa, and if we were on a longer cruise or a less port intensive itinerary it would have been a little too small for me. ...

Thanks, taxare!

For a cruise this long (24 days, Bkk-Pek) is is also important to pack properly, especially since we will hit all seasons on the way. So I have additional question - how ample is closet space in E cabins? Is there an empty space underneath the bed, were we can store suitcases/bags with warm clothes from home? From 3D view it's hard to get it right (size of the closet), but I suspect it is not really big.

I appreciate comments from past Nautica cruisers, not necessarily from E-cabin passengers - I understand the closets are about the same in (below consierge class) most cabins.

The closet appears to have 3 sections, like the other cabins, but for a bird's-eye view, and a pan (in color) around the actual cabin, click on the link below.

http://www.smillay.cruisesinc.com/travel/cruises/virtual_tour_popup.jsp?mediatype=5&path=/images/ships/1641/02/oceanviewobs3704_mj.ivr&desc=Ocean-view%20Stateroom%20w/Obstructed%20View%20(Category%20E)&shipname=Insignia

Is there an empty space underneath the bed, were we can store suitcases/bags with warm clothes from home?
I don't know about a category E on the Nautica, we had a category B on the Regatta in 2004, but I assume all the beds are the same. The clearance under the bed was 10 inches (measured with a ruler), so you can draw your own conclusions! Hope this helps.

Archived