Advantages of groups of bookings

lhc2266

My dh's boss is getting married. At first, he was going to get married in Jamaica, and since my dh is one of the groomsmen, we would need to commit to going on the cruise with the boss and his bride-to-be in order for dh to be in the wedding. After the deposits by all the family members going to be wedding were paid, the dh's boss and bride decided to get married while still in port in Galveston. Since they were able to get several groups of people to book with the same TA, would they have been eligible to have their cruise booked for free or a discount? Just wondering.

Typically,a group will be 8 cabins double occupancy. The 16th person would receive a free berth (the cruise price minus port charges and taxes). You would also receive certain amenity points to be used for wine,obc etc. Sounds like the logistics to get married in Jamaica were much more difficult than at the pier prior to leaving. It is much easier to be married in the US than on an Island. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it's possible on a ship to be married in Jamaica. They have a requirement that you must be on the Island 48 hours.

The disadvantage to groups is sometimes they cant get the price drops and I know that in 80% of the group cruises I know of you could do them cheaper on your own. The fact that you usually wind up paying extra than on your own is what I have against group cruises.....but if you want to go and be part of that group, you have to pay the piper.

It was almost one year ago when all of this was first planned, and everyone went along with the same travel agent without questioning anything. Since I have started researching this a little more, and reading everything here I have learned so much. I wish I had known one year ago what I know now. Recently, we were told by the bride and groom to not worry about getting them anything for the wedding since we had already paid for our cruise, and that was enough as far as they were concerned. They seemed very appreciative of the fact that so many people were willing to pay to go on this seven day cruise with them. The other day the groom mentioned that they were looking to upgrade, and do some other things. That is when I realized that part of their fare may have been comp'd and that they probably have some obc as a result of grouping so many people with the same travel agent. It just bothers me a little, because I feel as though everything wasn't explained fully from the beginning. However, we are going on a great trip in just three weeks, and I am going to enjoy it the best I can. It may be my only cruise or the first of many, so I am going to live it up.

Archived