Miami Port cam

BillOh

Has anyone heard anything about the Miami port webcams? Since I started trying to get a picture of Freedom in dock, or coming and going, the cam has been down. An email to the webmaster has gone unanswered. I know its a free service, but it would be nice to know if its coming back or not.

Has anyone heard anything about the Miami port webcams? Since I started trying to get a picture of Freedom in dock, or coming and going, the cam has been down. An email to the webmaster has gone unanswered. I know its a free service, but it would be nice to know if its coming back or not.

I'm a frequent Port of Miami cam watcher and has also noticed it was down. I'm not to worried that it will not come back. It had been down before (probably a year ago) for several weeks. Someone on this board was able to contact the admin and he fixed it. That took a couple of days also because, if I remember correctly, he was stationed in another building.

Maybe we should ask RCCL to put up cam's near ports. I love to see the ports and ships. Especially when my cruising date gets closer.

It's been down now for a while BillOh. :( I really miss it.

I'm a frequent Port of Miami cam watcher and has also noticed it was down. I'm not to worried that it will not come back. It had been down before (probably a year ago) for several weeks. Someone on this board was able to contact the admin and he fixed it. That took a couple of days also because, if I remember correctly, he was stationed in another building.

Maybe we should ask RCCL to put up cam's near ports. I love to see the ports and ships. Especially when my cruising date gets closer.

Do you know who should be contacted??? I REALLY miss this camera!

I used the CONTACT WEBMASTER link at the bottom of the page. He may not own the cams, but he might know who is responsible for them. I'll advise if I get an answer.

I looked up the thread I was refering to.... it was the butler who did it :p

This thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=407084

Seriously... I don't know.. Last time it seams that Theron (TPKeller) was able to get in contact with someone. Maybe if he reads this he is willing to ask that person if the cam will be back.

If you go to the webcam's page and then drill all the way through the site to the Miami Herald's (webcams owner) webcam page, and hover your mouse over the two webcam graphics, you get a "Webcam under maintenance" message and there's no active link. Now, mind you the other camera which looks interesting where the link takes you someplace take you to a "page not found" message. So, obviously, they are doing some restructuring of some kind.

I looked up the thread I was refering to.... it was the butler who did it :p

This thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=407084

Seriously... I don't know.. Last time it seams that Theron (TPKeller) was able to get in contact with someone. Maybe if he reads this he is willing to ask that person if the cam will be back.

Wow a blast from the past!

I dug through my old e-mails and found the POC that I talked with last year. I've sent an e-mail but no idea if he's even still around. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Theron

Wow a blast from the past!

I dug through my old e-mails and found the POC that I talked with last year. I've sent an e-mail but no idea if he's even still around. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Theron

Sorry... :p I seam to have a good memory for totally useless (but fun) stuff:D

Thanks for trying to contact him.

I watch the cam often when I need my "cruise-shot" and my family uses it when we are on one of the ships. It's somehow special when you get some images of your departure in the mail from a relative who was thousends of miles away.

Well he's still around! I spoke with the administrator by e-mail, and he gave me permission to post the gritty details of what's happened.

Basically they have operated the two Miami webcams with no sponsorship for three years. The cost is several thousand dollars per month (them T-1s do take a bite!) So he has had to take them off line while they try to figure out how they are going to redefine the business model such that they can at least plug the hole in the bottom of the well.

To be frank, they are seeking advertisers. It seems in the past they have advertised with other (non-cruise) business sectors, but obviously these cameras may well attract interest from the cruise industry.

So... if anyone knows of a business wanting to throw some ad dollars at a fairly popular webcam, I'd be happy to pass your contact info along to them! :)

On a positive note, the admin did seem quite upbeat about the prospects that they would be back at some point, hopefully not too far in the future.

Theron

I also enjoy watching the ships & miss not seeing them on the Miami webcam.

I was able to watch them as they were near the end of the channel on another webcam. There are 2 webcams. I can't get the Biscayne Bay one to work for me. I was able to watch the South Beach one. It takes a little time to download, & you can control the camera.

Miami Webcams

Gail

If I remember correctly, the one with the good view of the port that we all remember is the "Wachovia Financial Center". The other one he's talking about is the "Four Seasons Hotel and Tower".

I think there are others around town, but I don't know of any that show a clear view of the cruise terminals.

Theron

If I remember correctly, the one with the good view of the port that we all remember is the "Wachovia Financial Center". The other one he's talking about is the "Four Seasons Hotel and Tower".

I think there are others around town, but I don't know of any that show a clear view of the cruise terminals.

Theron

I guess I never saw the Four Seasons one. The Miami Live cam is atop the Mariott. The angle is different - it's from the opposite side and a bit more inland. The refresh is a LOT better; it's almost like video. I've emailed the webmaster there, but so far no response.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived