Fuel Supplement announced (4 merged threads)

xeena

Thanks, Susan.

The interesting thing is that it is noted on my reservation about the fuel surcharge. However, on the "Make Payment" it doesn't include this surcharge. It is the original payment without a surcharge.

Do you think if I rush to pay it today that I can miss this surcharge?

dmk

I have just spoken to my travel agent and she is going to get back to me, but I would have to believe that it would be up to the date of the press release. We shall see, if they call me back and tell me i can pay in full to escape the charge i will pay now. My TA did not even know about the press release.

Two weeks ago I booked and paid in full for a cruise in March. We have also booked two more in Dec. This means $420 . I have not paid for the Dec. cruises, so would have the option to cancel.

I will now have to pay the March surcharge , with no warning and no choice.

I think it wrong that the cruise companies do not honour already aggreed prices, and impose the tax to apply to all booking made from now on.

It is also a rather strange payment calculation.

There could be four adults in one cabin , but two would pay . Likewise the same cabin next door, the same size, using the same amount of fuel , one person, only one pays. Two people, two pay. ???? Either it is based on per person or per cabin....the proposed charge is neither.

Two weeks ago I booked and paid in full for a cruise in March. We have also booked two more in Dec. This means $420 . I have not paid for the Dec. cruises, so would have the option to cancel.

I will now have to pay the March surcharge , with no warning and no choice.

I think it wrong that the cruise companies do not honour already agreed prices, and impose the tax to apply to all booking made from now on.

It is also a rather strange payment calculation.

There could be four adults in one cabin , but two would pay . Likewise the same cabin next door, the same size, using the same amount of fuel , one person, only one pays. Two people, two pay. ???? Either it is based on per person or per cabin....the proposed charge is neither.

I thought it read that if you booked and paid for a cruise in full (including next March) you will not be charged the surcharge. Am I reading it wrong. And, when do you qualify for the "logo" item.

Final payment for my March cruise is December 17th. If I pay before December 7th will I not have to pay the surcharge? Will I get the "logo" item (whatever that is:) ).

Thanks,

Lucy

Crap! I just called my agent yesterday to make final payment on our Summit b/2/b, and she said she'd just run my card on the due date (Nov.19). If she'd charged my card yesterday, she could have saved me $140. I just called and left a message ***fingers, toes and eyes crossed***:o

All non North American bookers will notice they have not yet decided what we are going to have to pay........ it will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to decide THAT!! But judging what Pullmann cruises are paying (50,- Euros) I think it would be along those lines for us too.

No you won't. You've paid for your cruise in full so the supplement will not be charged (as per the press release).

Phil

I thank you, and believe you are correct, sir. :) As we were taught in school, more haste less speed. Here is a link from another thread which I have now read slower !!

I still think I am correct about the system for charging , re it should either be per person, half maybe for little ones, or per cabin, [ double for the large ones..:D ]

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.z...918&highlight=

I thought it read that if you booked and paid for a cruise in full (including next March) you will not be charged the surcharge. Am I reading it wrong. And, when do you qualify for the "logo" item.

Final payment for my March cruise is December 17th. If I pay before December 7th will I not have to pay the surcharge? Will I get the "logo" item (whatever that is:) ).

Thanks,

Lucy

Hi Lucy ...some highlights from the article that might help...

MIAMI, Nov. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In an effort to deal with the sharp increase in fuel prices, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. today announced the implementation of a fuel supplement of $5 per guest per day for sailings that depart on or after February 1, 2008.

- the company will not apply the supplement on any bookings where the guest has already paid the full cost of the cruise.

In addition, guests who were booked before November 16, and who do not agree to pay the supplement, may cancel their reservation prior to December 7, 2007, for a full refund ...

Those guests who do not cancel their reservation and pay in full will receive one logo item per stateroom, onboard their cruise.

Finally, the supplement will apply only to the first and second guests in each stateroom and will not exceed $70 per person, per sailing.

The company will provide travel agents with an administrative fee of $12 per existing booking to help offset the costs associated with contacting guests with existing reservations and collecting payment of the supplement for each booking that sails on or after February 1, 2008.

The supplement is effective for new and existing North American bookings.

I understand that fuel oil is going up. I also understand that the cruise hedge there oil and that they do not use the same quality oil as the airlines, so it has to be cheaper. Whether that as any bearing on anything is up fot question.

"The company will not apply the supplement where the guest has already paid the full cost of the cruise for bookings paid in full prior to the implementation date. "

What I find is wrong is that Implementation is February 1, 2008 not yesterday. Celebrity sales reps are saying it means today November 16th. They have miss written this statement. I think that we should all right to the new president and express our feeling. I can undertsand on new bookings. As far as I go there goes my ship board credit from the travel company. I wonder how much business they will loose just on principal alone.

I just checked my online reservation on the Celebrity site for a cruise next April and they have added the following to the end of my payment schedule:

*Note: For North America reservations, a fuel supplement of $5.00 per day per person for the first two occupants of a stateroom (Subject to a maximum of $140 per Stateroom) will apply to all sailings departing on or after February 1,2008.

As a solo traveler I am required to pay a stateroom supplement which is roughly the equivalent of paying for a non-existent 2nd person. Will this fuel supplement mean that I have to pay for 2 people also? The statement is not very clear - certainly it says that it is $5 per day per person which would lead me to think that I have to pay $75 for a 15 night cruise. However it also says that it is for the first two occupants (subject to a maximum of $140 per stateroom). Given that they charge a solo cruiser as though there are two people in the stateroom, will they also penalise me for 2 fuel charges also???

Gary, hi, sailing solo here as well. I will call X and

post my findings for you. I am hoping we only have to pay the fuel

for ONE.

Word from my TA is that IF you paid in full prior to the date of the announcement - no surcharge. All sailings after Feb 1 not paid in full by that date will have surcharge of no more than $70 per sailing/per person (1st and 2nd in cabin). So I'm guessing if you sail solo, you pay $5 per day (not $10).

yes. It's too late to avoid the surcharge. Payment had to be made by 11/15 , on which date ironically I had spoken to my TA and she knew nothing about it. I would have gladly paid yesterday had I known the cutoff date. I booked my cruise March, 2007 and final payment is due in 2 weeks. How is that for fairness! I understand the need, but RCCL should have given advance warning like the other cruise lines. We could have prepaid to avoid the surcharge and RCCl could have the use of the money early (like are deposits).

I posted this on another thread but maybe someone here might have some input.

I just checked my online reservation on the Celebrity site for a cruise next April and they have added the following to the end of my payment schedule:

*Note: For North America reservations, a fuel supplement of $5.00 per day per person for the first two occupants of a stateroom (Subject to a maximum of $140 per Stateroom) will apply to all sailings departing on or after February 1,2008.

As a solo traveler I am required to pay a stateroom supplement which is roughly the equivalent of paying for a non-existent 2nd person. Will this fuel supplement mean that I have to pay for 2 people also? The statement is not very clear - certainly it says that it is $5 per day per person which would lead me to think that I have to pay $75 for a 15 night cruise. However it also says that it is for the first two occupants (subject to a maximum of $140 per stateroom). Given that they charge a solo cruiser as though there are two people in the stateroom, will they also penalise me for 2 fuel charges also???

Call Celebrity about this surcharge. I called and complained!!!!! They are taking your name and reservation numbers so you can register your complaints. (I did not complain that they are putting this in to effect, but I did complain because they didn't allow passengers that were booked and just a couple of weeks away from final payment to pay now avoid the increase) I think that is just tacky!

Phone number 1-866-692-3532 Have your reservation number ready! I hope everyone that reads this message picks up the phone and calls. If enough people raise their voice, maybe they will be heard.

full Supplement

i Agree That The Price Of Full Has Increased The Advantage Of Booking Early Is To Get The Best Price And Choise Of Cabins

the Cruise Line Should Just Charge A Higher Price At Time Of Booking (not Have Supplement Charges)

stur Dayton,ohio

Word from my TA is that IF you paid in full prior to the date of the announcement - no surcharge. All sailings after Feb 1 not paid in full by that date will have surcharge of no more than $70 per sailing/per person (1st and 2nd in cabin). So I'm guessing if you sail solo, you pay $5 per day (not $10).

Hi Sheila, you are correct. I just spoke with X and the gal was

very helpful. She went into my reservation and clicked onto

the field and it came up 50.00. So it looks like solos will pay

for themselves only...(thankfully).

My final payment is due next month.......if I had known about this

before I would have paid in full yesterday:rolleyes:

I believe it's effective February '08 and doesn't apply to any reservations for which final payment has already been made. The Carnival Corporation made a similar announcement last week. It's simply a sign of the times and despite protests from unhappy passengers, it appears we'll all be paying more not just for cruising but for just about everything else as well.

Archived