Why do so many people say hump cabins have a better view???

I just don't understand why so many people say this. :confused: I've never been in a hump cabin, but I don't think you have to have been in one to realize this can't possibly be true.

I realize that people in the cabins in front of the hump, or on the hump facing toward the front, can't lean out and see the total length of the ship past the hump (visa versa for those behind the hump or on the back side of it). Everybody with balconies, regardless of where those balconies are, have the same "view". The "view" is what you see when you look out from the balcony. The only exception to this would be cabins with obstructed views.

So, if you can't get a hump cabin, you are not missing out on a great view! :)

We have been in many Hump Cabins and prefer them, PARTLY due to the view. It is a clear view front to back and down from the hump cabins. This is the main reason many state that they have a better view.

The other reason we (and I am sure others as well) like the hump cabins is due to their location to the elevators. We have been on the center hump for the last three Voyager class cruises we have been on and it is only about 10-15 steps from the door to the elevators/stairs. This is important to me as I have two very bad knees and the less walking the better.

Tim

The other reason we (and I am sure others as well) like the hump cabins is due to their location to the elevators. We have been on the center hump for the last three Voyager class cruises we have been on and it is only about 10-15 steps from the door to the elevators/stairs. This is important to me as I have two very bad knees and the less walking the better.

Tim

For sure, the convenience of the location is our first pick. :)

I agree with HB Cruiser. It seems as if you have a wider view. You can lean out while on the balcony and look forward and aft. Of course, while in your room looking out the window your view may not be appreciably larger...I mean wider.

I also agree that the location of the hump cabins is very conveneient. We try to book a hump cabin every chance we get. Not all Royal Caribbean ships offer this feature, for example, Majesty of the Seas. Lastly, any balcony is preferable to no balcony.

This is kind of stupid but we had a JS on deck nine, cabin 9314 which is just forward the centre JS on the hump. I could sit on the right side of the balcony and look straight down the side of the ship without turning my neck and/or hanging over the balcony rail...I like to see where we are going :D

I just don't understand why so many people say this. :confused: I've never been in a hump cabin, but I don't think you have to have been in one to realize this can't possibly be true.

Not altogether accurate. The center hump cabins do have a slightly "better" view in that they are the only ones whose view is neither obstructed by the hump itself, nor slightly skewed to the front or the rear. And, as it has been mentioned, it's also a clear view down to the ocean. That applies to the side-hump cabins as well: no lifeboats, promenade deck etc. directly below you.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion whether these differences are significant or not. :)

I agree that the view is not appreciably better on the hump--it's the CONVENIENCE of the location! We've been on the hump several times, and because of the curve of the bow of the ship, you can't actually SEE the front! And who cares? If you're not piloting the ship, you don't need to see the very front! Even the partially obstructed balconies have fine views! You look out, and see the ocean! It's not like one part of the sea looks any better than another part!

We just like being midships, near the stairs!

Even the partially obstructed balconies have fine views! You look out, and see the ocean! It's not like one part of the sea looks any better than another part!

We just like being midships, near the stairs!

We're going to be in 1612 on Explorer in Jan, and there are some kind of pipes going up the middle of the balcony. We can live with this, the location is absolutely the best! I love being able to go to Windjammer for a pre breakfast coffee to bring back to enjoy on our balcony. Don't need to call for room service. It's all about LOCATION!

Personally, I don't care if I can see the length of the ship. When sitting on the balcony, it's not the ship I want to look at. It's the ocean. And FYI, on the Voyager class/freedom class ships, you can look straight down to the ocean in pretty much any side view cabin, not just hump. The only ones with this exception would be the ones above the dining room where the promenade deck bumps out a bit.

Hello...Having cruised the Radiance, Jewel, and Serenade several times in a hump cabin, I will have to politely disagree with some of the posts that have indicatd that the view is not better.

We have stayed in cabin 9078 or 8088 each time and not only is the balcony twice the size of other balconies, our opinion is that the view is much better, becaue the hump sticks out further. The two cabins that we were able to see the front and back of the ship without any leaning to straining at all, are the cabins I just listed above.

The balcony is also more private as there is only one side with another balcony next to you. We had two regular chairs and two lounge chairs on our deck which could have accomodated 10 people. Even though we were close to the elevators, we have never had an issue with noise.

All I can say is that unless you stay in one of these cabins, you might not understand how big the balcony really is and how much better the view is.

At least for our taste, we will never choose another cabin again besides these two.

Thanks for listening.

Dave

For some reason, this whole notion reminds me of the legendary story about Dizzy Dean, a major league baseball pitcher from the 50s.

Quoting from this page:

Science backed up the baseball curve today. Dr. Lyman Briggs of National Bureau of Standards says he has proof a curve can break a maximum of 17-1/2 inches, following scientific tests. "Ball can't curve?" scoffed famed ex-Card ace Dizzy Dean. "Shucks, get behind a tree and I'll hit you with an optical illusion."

:D

All it takes is a scale printout of a deck plan and a straight edge to clearly show that you can see more from the middle of the hump than you can from anywhere else along the side of the ship. The difference becomes greater as you get closer to the hump on either side.

I suppose it also depends on what you mean by "view". If you compare the view from the bathroom door, then sure, they are all the same. If you compare from the balcony railing, leaning over as far as you can to see as much as you can (this is how I would define it!) then the difference can be profound.

Theron

Is there a way to determine which ones are hump cabins? Would they be on the Enchantment?

Enchantment is a Vision class ship, which has no hump cabins. Just look at any deck plan for the Radiance, Voyager, or Freedom class ships. They are about 2/3 of the way back along either side.

Theron

Here's a link to the Royal Caribbean ship info page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/home.do

From here you can click on one of the ship links listed under one of the three classes that have hump cabins (Radiance, Voyager or Freedom), then from there, you should find a link to Deck Plans. The hump cabins are found on the decks above the common areas, typically 6 or 7 on up.

Theron

Never had a hump cabin before, has anyone stay in cabin number 9620 on the Mariner? If so can you tell me about the balcony and room, was the balcony any bigger than a normal balcony room? Pictures would be great also. Thanks, kmbb

Hello...Having cruised the Radiance, Jewel, and Serenade several times in a hump cabin, I will have to politely disagree with some of the posts that have indicatd that the view is not better.

We have stayed in cabin 9078 or 8088 each time and not only is the balcony twice the size of other balconies, our opinion is that the view is much better, becaue the hump sticks out further. The two cabins that we were able to see the front and back of the ship without any leaning to straining at all, are the cabins I just listed above.

The balcony is also more private as there is only one side with another balcony next to you. We had two regular chairs and two lounge chairs on our deck which could have accomodated 10 people. Even though we were close to the elevators, we have never had an issue with noise.

All I can say is that unless you stay in one of these cabins, you might not understand how big the balcony really is and how much better the view is.

At least for our taste, we will never choose another cabin again besides these two.

Thanks for listening.

Dave

Yes, the hump balconies are larger on Radiance class ships, but not on Voyager or Freedom class ship. And I will say it again, who cares if you can see the front or back of the ship. The ship is not what I am looking at. Its the view straight out. lol.

You are totally wrong! I have been in a center hump cabin and the view IS better from there than any other cabin on the ship. We could see forward, aft, and out the side completely unobstructed. Don't say you can't see the difference until you have been there. The balcony on the Freedom owners suite is huge (209 sq. ft.) bigger than Voyager.

You are totally wrong! I have been in a center hump cabin and the view IS better from there than any other cabin on the ship. We could see forward, aft, and out the side completely unobstructed. Don't say you can't see the difference until you have been there. The balcony on the Freedom owners suite is huge (209 sq. ft.) bigger than Voyager.

The size of the balcony wasn't the issue. I was talking about the view, and people saying it's better in a hump cabin. A lot of people seem to be frantic to book these cabins, without ever having been in one, because others say the view is better. The point I was making is that everybody in balcony cabins on the side of the ship has basically the same view.

And, I don't think I'm "totally wrong"!

The size of the balcony wasn't the issue. I was talking about the view, and people saying it's better in a hump cabin. A lot of people seem to be frantic to book these cabins, without ever having been in one, because others say the view is better. The point I was making is that everybody in balcony cabins on the side of the ship has basically the same view.

I was just in a centre hump cabin last week on the Serenade and the view from my balcony was better than the view I had from my balcony on the Explorer two years ago (both on deck 7).

I was able to see from the front of the ship to the back of the ship without any obstructions or without having to lean over the balcony.

If you are referring to the view outwards than you are correct - they are all the same. But the side view is far better on the centre hump.

A lot of people seem to be frantic to book these cabins, without ever having been in one, because others say the view is better. The point I was making is that everybody in balcony cabins on the side of the ship has basically the same view.

No, you're not wrong.

But if a hump cabin costs exactly the same as the rest, why not book it? Those rooms tend to book first because of the view you have of the ship, itself. You can see all the way down, both ways. The more you cruise, the more weight you put into choosing your room. And those little things mean more and more with every cruise.

Archived