Why do so many people say hump cabins have a better view???

Hello....

All I can say is that unless you stay in one of these cabins, you might not understand how big the balcony really is and how much better the view is.

Dave, If you have tried an AFT cabin, then you will see how big a balcony can be!!! and you see the beautiful wake of the ship as well.

Here's a link to the Royal Caribbean ship info page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/home.do

From here you can click on one of the ship links listed under one of the three classes that have hump cabins (Radiance, Voyager or Freedom), then from there, you should find a link to Deck Plans. The hump cabins are found on the decks above the common areas, typically 6 or 7 on up.

Theron

Theron, where did you take the picture (in your signature) on the left?

Thanks,

###

What I don't understand is why it matters? So you can see to forward and aft. What is the big deal? It is all the same view, OCEAN! That is what you are looking at. And the hump does not bump out that much that someone behind the hump will be able to see much less. So their view is 80 degrees instead of 90 degrees. So freakin' what. :rolleyes:

Next Cruise I will deffinately try a center Hump, other then that, has anyone had room # 9056 on the Radiance of the Seas. I would have picked up a center hump for this cruise but another couple decided to join us and there was only the one, then they cancel. grrr. I should have gotten our room and told them to get one nearby, oh well.

Is this the one you mean? I just changed the thumbnails a couple days ago. The one there now was taken from Empress of the Seas as we entered Hamilton, Bermuda.

Theron

Yes, that is the picture I was referring to, I watch your changing thumbnails :D :D

It is a beautiful picture, do you know who owns the complex?

###

Yes, that is the picture I was referring to, I watch your changing thumbnails :D :D

It is a beautiful picture, do you know who owns the complex?

###

No but there are a couple of very knowledgeable folks on the Bermuda board who very well might know the story behind the property. I will post a question over there.

Theron

We had a hump cabin on the Radiance (1060), and I didn't care for the balcony nearly as much as one on the stern of the ship. We had a view of nearly all the balconies aft of us, which meant they had a view of us as well. And I found the overhang from the deck above to be a little oppressive. To me, nothing beats the wake view you get from a cabin on the stern. To each his/her own...

Jean - My rule is aft on all Radiance class ships and hump on all Voyager/Freedom class. Why, you ask?

Very little aft structure on Radiance class so you can look down on the wake. Also, the hump cabins are only on the starboard side and I like port.

9256 and 1100 on Radiance class are the best.

Voyager class hump cabins on deck 9 are only a few steps from the Concierge Lounge. My wife likes that and they have cabins on the port side. The aft structure is such that there's a lot of junk between you and the ocean. Especially on the Freedom class.

We were really disappointed in the aft cabins when we got the chance to go thru them on the Liberty inaugural as everyone above you could see your whole balcony and there was a lot of metal between you and the wake somewhere back there.

Voyager class hump cabins on deck 9 are only a few steps from the Concierge Lounge. My wife likes that and they have cabins on the port side. The aft structure is such that there's a lot of junk between you and the ocean. Especially on the Freedom class.

We were really disappointed in the aft cabins when we got the chance to go thru them on the Liberty inaugural as everyone above you could see your whole balcony and there was a lot of metal between you and the wake somewhere back there.

Freedom class and Voyager class aft balconies are exactly the same.

We all have our own opinions on whether or not a hump cabin is better or not, but I think that it depends on the cruise you are on as to whether or not it matters. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but having recently stayed in #8596 on the Serenade right in the center of the hump, here's my $0.02. I can only speak for the Serenade and thus the Radiance class ships, so that is all I will point out here.

For a Caribbean/Mexican Riviera sailing or something of the sorts, the view is the ocean with not really much more to see unless you are in port. In that case, in my opinion a hump really isn't much better. You can see out to the ocean from any balcony, aside from those that are obstructed.

For a Panama Canal sailing, my opinion changes. Going through the canal, it was fascinating to be able to see what was coming up ahead and to see the ships entering the locks behind us all from the pleasure of our balcony. We were originally booked in a deck 7 balcony directly above the lifeboat covers (if you don't know what I'm talking about look at any photo showing the ship from the side, not deck plan, of a Radiance class ship and you will see a big white cover) and I would not have been able to see down, or to the front or back. Some of the deck 7 balconies (and those on the decks above) above the lifeboat covers are set in/back further into the center of the ship. I would guess that the distance is a good 8-10'. May sound petty, but it makes a huge difference. We really wanted to be able to see straight down and to the front and back so that we could enjoy everything as we transversed the canal. Shortly before we sailed, a hump balcony opened up and we snatched it up in a heartbeat. We were more than pleased in that we were able to see everything from the tug boats bring workers and merchandise to the ship to the workers at the locks on the ground and everything in between. For the price, the cabin couldn't be beat in my opinion for this sailing.

I believe that only the cabins at the front and back of the hump on deck 7, 8, and 9 on the Radiance class have larger balconies. The cabins in the center of the hump have average size balconies and therefore do not cost a premium. Cabin #8596 is a category E2, so for the price it is at an optimum location. Not once did we ever hear foot traffic from the elevators as they were on the completely opposite side of the Centrum from our hallway. Plus we were just steps from the stairs and could get anywhere we wanted very quickly. For those cabins in the center of the hump, nobody can see you unless you lean out over the edge of your balcony. You are shaded from the blazing sun most of the time because the deck above you protrudes out a little. Some may not like that, but because the sun was so very hot on our Panama Canal sailing, we really liked it.

I think the hump cabins are some of the best if that is what you are looking for as on the Radiance class ships, the lifeboat cover obstructs the view looking down for a large number of the balconies unless you are in a hump or one of the forward cabins, or an aft for that matter. For some sailings, it makes no difference. For others, it can make a big difference. I have pictures of our balcony and the view that I can share if anyone is interested.

Archived