crew overboard on Victory

Bobbigrl27

My mom just got off Victory this morning and she said that a crew member accidentally fell overboard. It happened about 3 in the morning. She went out on her balcony and heard everyone clapping when they rescued him. She heard the next day that he wasn't doing well and that he would be transported to a hospital when the ship returned to port. I haven't seen any news stories about it, so I was just curious if anyone else had heard anything?

I just got off the Victory today. He fell overboard at around 2:45 am. I believe he was a memeber of the entertainment staff. Last I heard was he was in stable condition, and he would be transported to a hospital as soon as we reached Miami. The captain had to turn the ship around and go back about three miles. They found him pretty soon after that.

Once again we hear of someone "falling" overboard. We all know you can't just fall over the railing, off of it, but not over it. Wonder what he was doing? Not likely just strolling along, minding his own business when out of nowhere he tripped and fell overboard. It'd be nice sometime to hear from those rescued what they were actually up to.

My mom heard that is was a crew member who was working on maintainence. But I said "why would they be doing any kind of "maintainence" at 3:00 a.m. in the middle of nowhere?" She also heard that he was wearing a lifejacket.

I agree that it would be nice to get the real story. Who knows if anything she heard was even true. But I am glad they found the person and were able to get him to safety.

Granted, I've only been on one cruise, but I didn't go on that one cruise with my eyes closed. There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes to keep one of these ships in top-knotch condition. Add to that the fact that they are floating in a salt water environment, which is highly corrosive. While we are in various ports, or sailing at night and sometimes while sailing at day the crew is busy working to clean, paint and perform general upkeep of the ship. Where it not so there'd be a thick film of sea spray all over the ship which would make for an uncomfortable cruise for all involved. Therefore I submit that this crewman was probably cleaning something on the outside of protective barriers and lost his footing or secure hook-up in the process thus falling overboard. Kudos to the remainder of the crew for his speedy rescue.

My DH is a reserve naval officer and while there is ongoing maintenance on all ships, 3 am is not the norm. Scraping and painting normally happens while in port and not at sea. You don't usually see anyone working over the side while the ship is moving. The maintenance we saw while we were at sea and and night was decks, and interior work, not over the side.

It was definitely a member of the entertainment staff. When I went to the debarkation talk on Sat., our cruise director Butch Begovich filled us in on the situation, told us the crew member was a close personal friend, as well as a member of his department, and also told us that he was going to be okay. They treated him for dehydration because he got sick from ingesting all of that sea water, as well as hypothermia, but that he was in stable condition.

It was definitely a member of the entertainment staff. When I went to the debarkation talk on Sat., our cruise director Butch Begovich filled us in on the situation, told us the crew member was a close personal friend, as well as a member of his department, and also told us that he was going to be okay. They treated him for dehydration because he got sick from ingesting all of that sea water, as well as hypothermia, but that he was in stable condition.

Did he explain how it happened?

I was on the Victory as well and my husband and I actually watched the entire thing out of out window and have it on camera. When we noticed the ship stop moving, we starting looking out of the window. For a few minutues, we couldn't see anything. Then we saw the spot light searching the water. That's when we knew someone fell in. We then saw the lifeboat fall into the water and watched as it went back and forth until it spotted the guy. We then saw a flare type light in the boat (I guess notifying the rescuers above that they found him and we saw them pull him in. Everyone was cheering above. We tried to go to the top to see what we could see, but they'd pulled him in by then. I'm just glad he's alive.

Also on the same cruise, they had a medical rescue at sea. Perhaps someone else who was on the cruise can tell you about it (we weren't on the ship at the time, read my review and you'll understand why), but I guess they had to airlift someone off the ship either the first or second night.

I've got to say that I'm becoming very impressed. This is the 5th incident on a major cruise liner where an overboard person has been rescued alive and has a chance of fully recovering. I think cruise lines must be doing something to better train their crews for rescuing overboard pax and crew.

To answer some questions about working at night, yes it does happen, on deck and below. depending on where they where they may have to rig the pilots ladder for the federal harbor pilot, this can be quite dangerous and normally the crew is wearing a life jacket. next they ( the ships crew, not entertainers) have drills at all hours of the day and night, you don't hear of them because they are only anounced in the crew areas. They have Man overboard drills, fire drills, as well as lifeboat drills. they may not actually lower a boat away but they have drills none the less. Thats how they can be prepared when a crew or guest falls overboard, or a fire happens, etc. any time day or night. International law requires that they be prepared for any situation any time day or night.

They don't paint the sides of the ship while under way but they do work on the interior and near the sides. they also work on the interior of the ship fixing what needs to be fixed while most of the passangers are asleep.

Capt Bill

I've got to say that I'm becoming very impressed. This is the 5th incident on a major cruise liner where an overboard person has been rescued alive and has a chance of fully recovering. I think cruise lines must be doing something to better train their crews for rescuing overboard pax and crew.

This is the 5th one that you know of, there are so many more that are never spoken about. On our 06 Miracle someone tried to commit suicide off the boat and they reeled him in so make that 6 that you know of now lol! The guy on our ship didn't want to be rescued and when the pulled him in they had to restrain him.

I agree that not everyone knows what goes on behind the scenes. I remmeber Our first cruise to bahamas we discovered a secret entrance & discovered that the crew(who were off for the night) going to thier dance. THey to have events..

In response to medical emergencies when we were on the Legend two years ago to Panama twice they had to turn around back to ports for medical emergencies. The helicopter will only fit the patient so if thier partner wants to go with them they have to go back to port to then drop the patient & partner off. Since then this is why I buy insurance incase WE get sick. It would be hard on a partner to travel to thier love one in some of these places alone.

i think they have just had more experience lately with all the drunks lol.:D

Does anyone know...do they have crew watching the side of the ship at all times? Because it occured to me while looking out at the ocean from our balcony that you could go overboard late at night and no one would ever know because of the pitch black night and darkness of the seas. Within second you would be out of view. Obviously such incidents have occured but not as many as you would expect...or at least that I hear of.

Does anyone know...do they have crew watching the side of the ship at all times? Because it occured to me while looking out at the ocean from our balcony that you could go overboard late at night and no one would ever know because of the pitch black night and darkness of the seas. Within second you would be out of view. Obviously such incidents have occured but not as many as you would expect...or at least that I hear of.

The railings are high enough on your balcony to prevent an accidental "slip" overboard...unless you do something stupid like this...

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=586298

Archived