Is it worth getting off the ship in Mo Bay?

We're leaving next weekend on LOS Western Caribbean. From all the reviews I've seen, it doesn't seem worth getting off the ship at Montego Bay. My DH and buddy will be doing the zip line thing but my girlfriend and I have chickened out. Would love to hear from anyone who has other recommendations for a shore excursion or should we just stay on board and enjoy the pool area?

We're leaving next weekend on LOS Western Caribbean. From all the reviews I've seen, it doesn't seem worth getting off the ship at Montego Bay. My DH and buddy will be doing the zip line thing but my girlfriend and I have chickened out. Would love to hear from anyone who has other recommendations for a shore excursion or should we just stay on board and enjoy the pool area?

I love Jamaica and always get off the ship in Mo Bay and Ocho Rios. I find the scenery beautiful and the people friendly (as simple "no thank you" always takes care of the supposedly pushy people, in my experience). Last month we did white water river rafting through Caliche http://www.whitewaterraftingmontegobay.com/ and it was great! We met at the terminal and were driven to the starting point where we met our guide, then we were picked back up at the and and driven back to the terminal, very safe. Other times we've gone to Drs. Cave Beach, which is gated and very nice, gotten a day pass to nearby Sunset Beach Resort (all-inclusive), or just gone shopping. Some people just take a taxi to Margaritaville.

Please don't let all the negative comments here discourage you from experiencing Jamaica!

Have you ever been to Jamacia before? If not, why on earth would you pass up an opportunity to visit another county? There are pools all over the place, and you can sit by one any time you wish...get out there girl and enjoy one of the ships excursions...open your mind to the culture and perhaps the food that is unique to the islands and to Jamica.

Have a great trip.

Have you ever been to Jamacia before? If not, why on earth would you pass up an opportunity to visit another county? There are pools all over the place, and you can sit by one any time you wish...get out there girl and enjoy one of the ships excursions...open your mind to the culture and perhaps the food that is unique to the islands and to Jamica.

Have a great trip.

I second the motion. It seems a shame to visit foreign ports and not to get off and experience them. Even if you don't take an organized tour you can grab a cab and go to Doctor's Cave Beach or to Margaritaville on the Hip Strip, or you can purchase a day pass at Sunset Beach Resort and Spa which is a very nice all-inclusive resort within view of the cruise terminal. Don't let the fearmongers turn you off from the opportunity to experience a beautiful island and the many friendly people who inhabit it.:)

I'll be the odd one out. Stay on the ship. Enjoy the pool, spa, and everything else the ship has to offer.

I wish someone would have told me to stay on the ship last year; rather, I wish I would have listened to what others said. I had a horrible experience. This is not to say that you will, but if you just do a search on these boards about Jamaica and bad experiences, I'm not the only one.

Only you can make the decision for yourself. Whatever you decide, make the most of it. If you decide to get off the ship, please take the cautions seriously and prepare yourself. I ignored the warnings, and consequently, my cruise was almost ruined. Be careful...

Have a great cruise!

I second the motion. It seems a shame to visit foreign ports and not to get off and experience them. Even if you don't take an organized tour you can grab a cab and go to Doctor's Cave Beach or to Margaritaville on the Hip Strip, or you can purchase a day pass at Sunset Beach Resort and Spa which is a very nice all-inclusive resort within view of the cruise terminal. Don't let the fearmongers turn you off from the opportunity to experience a beautiful island and the many friendly people who inhabit it.:)

I was also a little worried about getting off in Mo Bay, but I will be going next October. I looked at some pictures of the Sunset Beach Resort and Spa, and it looks fantastic. Do you know anything else about it, any more details?

Thanks

We were on LOS in Sept and went on an excursion and never felt in the least bit afraid. We went to Breezes at Doctors Cave, the beach was beautiful but the food was so so for the price. Many others took a cab to Doctors Cave and had the option to eat where they wanted.

We have been to Cozumel and Costa Maya. In both places we were annoyed by the aggressive nature of the vendors when you get off the ship, didn't come close to ruining our trip This hasn't happened to us in either MoBay or Ocho Rios.

we did LOS in late Oct & got off & went to Margaritaville. It was no great stop so we had a drink & went back to the ship. Wish we had booked an excursion. I dont see any reason to get off the ship if you arent goingt o booka specific excursion. The ship has so much to offer soi say book something now or stay on board & enjoy all the great ammenities while most are off the ship.

Enjoy Im jealous cant wait to go again!!!:D

I've been on many cruises and have experienced pushiness. I've been to Jamaica 3 times, the first time about 15 years ago and the last 2 within the last few years. 15 years ago people warned visitors and I just laughed and thought they were ridiculous! We saw Jamaica, went to the falls and the straw market with another couple and had a great day-my dh told me later that he had been warned by some locals "not to leave his woman alone" it wasn't safe! I tend to shun things like that and the 2nd time I had my two boys who were 14 and 17. They told me they had been approached several times in shops (that were oked by RCCL) to buy pot! I was right there! How did they do that! The third time we went the locals were so obnoxious I turned around and went back to the ship. This summer a cruise line excursion was HYJACKED! while on an excursion and people were robbed at knife point. I'm not a Polyanna but I will never step foot in Jamaica again.

I was also a little worried about getting off in Mo Bay, but I will be going next October. I looked at some pictures of the Sunset Beach Resort and Spa, and it looks fantastic. Do you know anything else about it, any more details?

Thanks

My wife and I spent a week there about a year ago and really enjoyed it. It is not a five star luxury resort but very comfortable with nice facilities including a nifty river pool, some regular pools and a very nice beach. Food was good and drinks were generous, especially if you bring your own large mug for them to fill and refill. In October, 2005, we took our kids and grandkids there for the day when the ship we were on (Freedom of the Seas) was in Montego Bay for the day. Not sure what it costs for a day pass nowadays but you might check it out and see if it is reasonable for your budget.:)

We had a wonderful day at Sunset Beach. It was a short taxi ride and we arranged with the driver to pick us up at a set time. We just sat in lounge chairs we pulled out into the shallow water and enjoyed the beach. The food was good and the drinks unlimited. It was terrific!! We felt totally safe.

Since your SOs are going on the zipline and it appears you will need to find something to do together I would recommend Dunn's River Falls. It's about a 1 1/2 bus ride from MoBay which will give you a good tour of the island. This is my "review" of our day there as a family in August:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=641563&highlight=dunns+river

As you know people have differing views of Jamaica. I've been there 3 times and can attest that it is possible to have a fun and safe time there. Thousands do it every year. Do your research on how to avoid problems there.

It's a different culture with different ways of doing things.

My advice for first timers (or anyone) visiting there is to stay out of the town of Mobay or Ocho Rios or anywhere large crowds gather, but especially markets. When they see you all they see is a big $ sign and they'll do anything short of violence to get you to buy there wares.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise

Jimmers:)

We were also a little nervous from the things we had heard about Jamaica, so we spent the day at Sunset Beach Resort. We could see it from the ship, so the cab ride was very short. It was really a great day and well worth the price for the day pass in my opinion. Drinks were great and loved the jerk chicken for lunch! This would be my recommendation if you are unsure about what to do for the day. I would not want to miss visiting this country-- it is so beautiful, and the people that we met were very friendly. I think you just have to be smart about what you do while you're there. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I have been to Jamaica on a cruise and twice at an all-inclusive resort! Jamaica is by far the pretties island with so many resources and so much to do. I alway arrange my trips through A-Z planners. Belinda is great to deal with. I am not sure that I would do Jamaica on my own, even though we have been there so many time, but through a planned guide it is fun. When we arrived in Montego Bay, we went all the way to Dunn's River Falls and Ocho Rios. It is a long drive though (2 hours) and bad roads so you may not want to do that. The Black River is really nice. Go to the interior of the island. There are waterfalls and rivers. Many do the raft trip on the Martha Brae. We did it on the Rio Grande on the other side of the island and enjoyed it. It isn't white water. It is a bamboo raft down the river. There is so much to see and do in Jamaica that it would be ashame to miss the island.

It's always interesting to get off and take a look around. But, beware the crooks in the parking lot who offer "tours". On our last cruise, we met two guys who took a $20 offer to sightsee, and ended up paying $90 each when they got back to the ship. Jamaica security said they had to pay, and the cruise line was no help at all.

Instead, go with one of the group shuttles, both ways.

We did the zipline in MoBay and loved it...nothing to be scared of...but if you cant get back on the tour and it makes you uncomfortable going ashore then just stay on the ship...we enjoyed MBay and I have tried to no avail to convince people to get off the ship and enjoy the port, but if you are going to be nervous and uncomfortable then maybe it would make a better day of vacation to stay on the ship

Don't miss Jamaica! It is a beautiful island. You MUST have a trustworthy tour guide, though. Try Trevor Hudlin cooltrevh@yahoo.com. He is awesome and really takes care of his customers!

Trevor will take you on a tour out of MoBay or Ocho Rios. We and many of our friends have toured with him at different times over the past 14 months and everyone has loved him! Tell him the people in Clear Creek ISD say HI!

We are afraid of heights and would not be interested in the zip-line either ;)

Our experiences in Jamaica have been mixed and we will continue to visit the port. Is this your first and perhaps last visit to Jamaica? If so, don't let others decide for you, get off the ship and enjoy :) If you feel uncomfortable then go back to the ship.

Hope you enjoy your cruise :D

###

We were on LOS in Sept and went on an excursion and never felt in the least bit afraid. We went to Breezes at Doctors Cave, the beach was beautiful but the food was so so for the price. Many others took a cab to Doctors Cave and had the option to eat where they wanted.

We have been to Cozumel and Costa Maya. In both places we were annoyed by the aggressive nature of the vendors when you get off the ship, didn't come close to ruining our trip This hasn't happened to us in either MoBay or Ocho Rios.

We were in Cozumel last week and love this port--especially the Chakanaaub State Park where people can swim with the dolphins. We noticed people trying to sell stuff but never felt harassed by any.

We never got off in Ochos Rios because I was ill but it looked lovely--very mountainous. We wanted to take an island tour my TA recommended. Hope to see it in the future. Zip line sounds like fun. I may try it on my winter cruise to the southern caribbean.

We are going to be on the same cruise as you! Only 6 more days! I have been a little nervous getting off on Jamaica also, I have heard a lot of negative comments. I decided to go for it, I would be disappointed in myself to have gone all the way, and NOT get off the ship and say I have been in Jamaica. My friends/family are doing the zipline tour too, we are doing the morning one, we have some who are afraid of heights, but they are doing it because they know once they get over the first one, they'll have a blast!

I am debating whether to go to the Sunset Beach or the zipline tour. My aunts just shop in all the ports, and maybe go to the beach, and the zipline is out of question for them. I am thinking that just going to the town for them might be a waste, as it is not safe, or am i wrong?

Archived