freestyle...pros and cons please...

jdfloyd

Freestyle cruising....  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Freestyle cruising....

• Love it....
    • Hate it.....
    • It's just OK...

this will be DH and my first freestyle cruise. What is your opinon on freestyle...likes/dislikes.

DH and I probably won't be doing any specialty resturants do to the fact that with the high cost of the cruise, we don't want to pay any additional prices for food we've basically already paid for.

Thanks for your opinions.

i love it...sometimes i feel like a sit down dinner, other times i don't. DH gets hungry early but sometimes i don't want to eat until later. we don't dress up in real life, don't see any reason to in "cruise" life. we are past the age where it's "romantic" to get all dolled up (for us, anyway)

really hated having to run back to the ship...hot, tired from excursons...and getting dressed (in something i only wore on cruises) to eat. we are relax and easy going in real life, not we can be that way in "cruise" life.

I agree that there are more important factors in choosing a cruise than freestyle, but that being said, we love it. It works really well for us as a family. You mentioned not wanting to use the specialty restaurants... for whatever reason you choose, you don't have to! It's that kind of choice that is the basis of freestyle. You have options, and you are free to choose which to take.

One thing that happens with a more regimented system is that if an activity is going on that you want to participate in, but it's during your scheduled dining time, you're out of luck. With the freestyle system, your time is your own to plan. With all the free options, as well, you never have to do any formal dining at all if you don't want to. I'm looking forward to having a 24 hour food option besides room service. I've heard the chicken wings at Blue Lagoon are excellent and we will definitely be trying them!

Give me Free style any day. We have been on numerous NCL cruises, and though we can eat when we want at the regular restuartants, more times than not we have eaten at the buffet. Why one may ask, is that they normally have the same main courses as the restuarants and we can eat our leisure. No waitng for the waitpersons and not having to take 90 minutes to eat a meal. We do enjoy a few of the pay restuarants. Usually one or 2 duing a 7-9 day trip.:)

I prefer to eat when I want and with whom I want. With freestyle if you like your fellow CCers, you can dine with them. That option is not available with traditional dining. You can move around & eat in a different location.

They don't have stupid parades of chefs or singing waiters at dinner. If you want a show, you can go to a show. You get to eat dinner in peace.

I love to dress up & so do lots of other people. Just as many are thrilled not to have pack formal wear. There is something for everybody.

I voted 'its just ok' while my wife is saying 'hated it'........ we were a large party (11 peeps) and it was impossible trying to coordinate dinner reservations, we argued everyday, it was a hassle.... and half the restaurants you had to pay!!!!!!!!! :( maybe for a party of (2) it would work...... gimme 'old school same dinner time, same table, same waiter' anyday!!!!!!!!!! :)

Matt

To me Freestyle is all about choice....

The Choice to Eat WHEN you want to.

The Choice to Eat WHERE you want to.

The Choice to Eat with WHO you want to.

The Choice to Eat HOW you want to be dressed. If you want to dress up, then go for it, but if you would prefer to just wear polo shirts and kahki pants, then that is ok for you to.

I have been on NCL Cruises with large groups twice... party of 18 and party of 13. We loved it. Freestyle was great for groups. We always were able to eat together at the same time OR we were able to split up when some didn't like a certain food. (I don't like asian cruisine, so my wife and some of the others went to Bamboo while others went to Cagney's.)

I also love the fact that you can dress as you want and not have to lug around all those extra dress clothes. In fact, the formal night and assigned dining times are what we are least looking forward to for our RCCL cruise next summer.

As far as the pay restaurants. On my first two NCL cruises, I avoided those for the same reasons that you mentioned. But on my last two, we did go to Cagney's (and my wife and others to Bamboo) and found that the little extra that you pay was well worth it for what you got.

Don't forget, that most ships have two specialty restaurants that do not have a surcharge. (Impressions of Italy and Salsa on the Dawn for example.)

Freestyle, in my opinion, is the up and coming thing in cruising. Look at Princess, HAL and now even Carnival....all coming up with something similar to Freestyle. If it wasn't successful, those lines wouldn't be copying it.

To me Freestyle is all about choice....

The Choice to Eat WHEN you want to.

The Choice to Eat WHERE you want to.

The Choice to Eat with WHO you want to.

The Choice to Eat HOW you want to be dressed.

I would add:

• The choice to wait as long as you do on land for the perfect table at peak times.
  • The choice to have a different wait person every night, who has no clue as to your personal preferences

My son loved freestyle. He wanted to eat when he was hungry. On lobster night we ate early before the show and had another dinner late before the dining room closed -- appetizer and entree the first time, entree and dessert the second. (We didn't have lunch that day, having had a late breakfast.) When there was nothing appealing on the main dining room menu, we liked the choice of the latin restaurant (Tangos). When we wanted more turkey on Thanksgiving after the show, we went to the buffet and didn't have to wait for another dinner service. With the varied shore times (early in Cozumel, late in Grand Cayman) freestyle was perfect for us.

They took reservations only for parties of six or more.

We were always able to get a table for two, although not always near a window. They asked if we'd be willing to share and we said "no."

The delays in getting seated weren't due to lack of available tables, but to the maitre d's having to figure out where to seat each party. Instead of just letting people take available tables, he/she would check the computer and find a seat. This took a couple of minutes per party and caused lines when the dining rooms just opened.

I would add:

• The choice to wait as long as you do on land for the perfect table at peak times.
  • The choice to have a different wait person every night, who has no clue as to your personal preferences

Just like Fine Dining restaurants on shore that you like so much....

I would add:

Might I also add:

* No condescending, annoying tablemates

When we were on the NCL Sun we were able to request the same waiter each night. The only thing they asked us, was what time would we like to dine(Call it a reservation) and how many folks would be at the table which varied each night because we had 30 plus folks in our group, which resulted in multiple tables which was not a problem. The problem was trying to get all these people to agree on a specific time to eat. But so what we were on a cruise.

I like freestyle because of not having to rush back to ship from port to get ready for dinner...to not miss the sunsets because I have to get ready for dinner...to see an early show and eat dinner later...to nap and then eat...or to eat, then nap...and get up and eat again...all while being as formal or informal as I feel like being that evening.

Regarding the comment about the waiter's not knowing your personal preferences every evening...For me, I do not mind or find it difficult to repeat my preferences to a different waiter each evening.

Coka

Chose NCL for my first cruise because of the freestyle. Have no desire to dress up for dinner especially when on vacation. Besides, don't own any formal clothes and don't want to spend the money to buy any or waste suitcase space since I have to fly to the port. BUT.... I'm trying CCL. Guess I'll be at the buffet on formal night. Didn't plan this cruise but my sister said I will love it.... we will see.

Funny how "Freestyle Cruising" really just means eating when and where you want! HAHA! Seems like the concept could be carried so much further! :D

In any event, I have sailed 3 other lines and the thing I dreaded most every time was having to either rush around or sit and wait for my dinner time to arrive. I guess "Freestyle" cruising is for me and I'm looking forward to my first NCL cruise this spring!

Now....what other aspects of the ship could they make more "Freestyle"???

:confused:

Enjoy eating WHEN we want but, had to do too much planning ahead to make reservations in the other restaurants. Felt like the main dining room menu's were lacking in variety which made us feel like we HAD to go elsewhere. The food was great in the restaurants, tho...

Good thing about freestyle is u don't have to worry about having to get stuck eating with ppl like MSCHUCHU and SONADOM

There are some people who prefer traditional. That does not make them bad. I love traditional. We'll be on our first freestyle in April. I have a completely open mind and know I'll have a blast.

There are some people who prefer traditional. That does not make them bad. I love traditional. We'll be on our first freestyle in April. I have a completely open mind and know I'll have a blast.

and that is another positive aspect of NCL....you can create a traditional cruise experience if you want. You can dress up one or two nights, you can dine in the same restaurant at the same time every night and you can ask to be seated with others if you like.

Like I said....Freestyle Cruising is all about CHOICE

Thanks all for your opinions!! I didn't mention that DH and I will be sailing on the Pearl Apr.4. We'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary! Now...next question...for those that have sailed the Pearl. If you HAD to pick one specialty resturant to celebrate such an occasion....which one would you choose and why.

Archived