jdfloyd

Freestyle cruising....  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Freestyle cruising....

• Love it....
    • Hate it.....
    • It's just OK...

Freestyle = Freedom!

Love: no adjenda - show up when you feel like eating, dining with just my husband - no rush to get off the ship, relaxing vacation

Hate: flexibility means meal time seems to take forever - not scheduled with early/late seating means kitchen gets backed up.

Still would not trade freestyle........aka Freestyle...Freedom....Priceless!

I like freestyle because of not having to rush back to ship from port to get ready for dinner.....to see an early show and eat dinner later...to nap and then eat...or to eat, then nap...and get up and eat again...all while being as formal or informal as I feel like being that evening.

Regarding the comment about the waiter's not knowing your personal preferences every evening...For me, I do not mind or find it difficult to repeat my preferences to a different waiter each evening.

Coka

While I agree with Coka, I don't know how impartial she can be seeing as she's gonna be a Godmother to one of their ships ;) . One of those high powered ncl mucky mucks don't ya know? (but I still love her anyhow) :D

Funny how "Freestyle Cruising" really just means eating when and where you want! HAHA! Seems like the concept could be carried so much further! :D

In any event, I have sailed 3 other lines and the thing I dreaded most every time was having to either rush around or sit and wait for my dinner time to arrive. I guess "Freestyle" cruising is for me and I'm looking forward to my first NCL cruise this spring!

Now....what other aspects of the ship could they make more "Freestyle"???

:confused:

Freestyle really does just refer to dining times... but having that freedom makes such an incredible difference. As Coka pointed out, there are so many things that one might prefer to be doing rather than eat at a specific time. Choice is always a wonderful thing!

On our last cruise, the single time we had to wait for a table it was because our entire party was not with us. Other than that, we always got in within minutes. As was mentioned, there is a brief wait while the maitre'd decides where to seat you. I certainly never experienced anything like some of the waits I've had on land - sometimes with a reservation. The good thing, though, is that if you do happen to go at a peak time and there is a backup, if you don't want to wait, you have other dining choices. There is a second main dining room, a buffet, and the Blue Lagoon. Of course, by the time you walked to one of them, you'd likely be seated! :)

I'd always thought I'd hate cruising, as I was totally opposed to the ideas involved in traditional dining. I don't wear "formal" attire -- for me, dressing up involves wearing the same thing that I can wear to church on Sunday. I hated the idea of having to dine every night at the same time, at an assigned table, with randomly assigned tablemates who I might or might not have anything in common with. When our friends first tried to get us to go with them, I kept saying "no" as I couldn't imagine being stuck on a vacation like that.

I finally agreed to go, grudgingly, for our 25th wedding anniversary. Our friends convinced me that NCL wouldn't force me into the ideas that I so disliked. One look at the ship, one friendly dinner with my family, and I was totally hooked on cruising!

For us, freestyle works great for dining. We normally eat early, seldom dine in the specialty restaurants, and the longest wait we ever had (with 6 of us) was 20 minutes on "formal night". I don't mind having to let my waiter know each night what I want to drink, but my DH prefers having his diet coke brought automatically, so we tend to request the same waiters each night. As mentioned above, if I'm looking at the beautiful Alaska scenery, or observing a spectacular sunset, I don't have to leave what I'm doing to hurry and go "dress" for dinner.

Funny thing is, the friends who got us to try NCL have decided that they prefer traditional dining. Different strokes for different folks definitely applies for cruising! :D

I would add:

• The choice to wait as long as you do on land for the perfect table at peak times.
  • The choice to have a different wait person every night, who has no clue as to your personal preferences

Never had to wait long even at peak times, also have always managed to book on the day for the specials at a time close to one we wanted. But the main point is you don't HAVE to eat at a peak time or a fixed time

As for preferences, if you are so fussy that you need a team to learn them to keep you happy that speaks for itself.

We cruise trad as well but experience has us liking the freestyle of NCL and the anytime of Princess more than trad. Looks like others lines are recognising that flexable dining is attractive to enough passengers for them to try it also.

The one downside(if you can call it one) to freestyle is that the schedules of events can be a little harder to get used to, with trad the shows/events are arranged around the dining times so not a problem with freestyle they are not so you have to do your own planning..

Thanks all for your opinions!! I didn't mention that DH and I will be sailing on the Pearl Apr.4. We'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary! Now...next question...for those that have sailed the Pearl. If you HAD to pick one specialty resturant to celebrate such an occasion....which one would you choose and why.

My preference would be cagnies but then I am the meat eater, Bistro is another good choice but take the $79 romance package if you plan to do this. We do both on a cruise anyway, check out the menus you may find that one of them preferable to the other. Both places have the ambience for a special meal, the rest of the venues less so.

The one thing I hated about cruises was the dining room experience. I hated format nights to the point I always skipped it. I also hated sitting with a group of people when I would rather dine with my wife. The last thing is I am a "eat when I am hungry" kind of person. Freestyle fixed all of those.

Providing meals for a couple thousand people is not easy. Freestyle dining is one way of doing it. So is traditional dining. I prefer Freestyle especially if it's just DW and me. For me, I will trade having to maybe wait a bit (it's not going to be long for just two), making reservations for specialty restaurants and the waiter not knowing my preferences :rolleyes: for being able to eat when I want, where I want and with whomever I want. If I am with a big group, especially one that's indecisive, maybe traditional would be better.

I guess it depends on what's important to you during your cruise. If the meals are the highlight of your cruise experience then I think Traditional is better. I thought I'd hate Freestyle and I didn't. I don't prefer it to Traditional but I don't prefer Traditional either. They both are just fine. Fortunately, so as not to get boring or monotonous, I can sail sometimes on a traditional ship and then switch to NCL in between. Variety is a very nice thing. :) To me, the cruise is about the sailing and the ports and most of all the people. Meals are last on the list of what's important to me. I didn't realize this untile I sailed Celebrity, where the service was top notch and very proffessional (bordering on stuffy). It was my least favorite cruise.

Bottom line is you don't know if you like something until you try it. I thought I'd like professional and stuffy...and I thought Freestyle wouldn't be good for me.

I was wrong on both counts.

And for the record. I just got off a 15 day freestyle cruise and NEVER waited more than 10 minutes to sit down to eat a meal. We ate at all different times and in all different restaurants. On the few occasions we had a reservation, we were seated immediately. I really didn't find it difficult or frustrating at all.

We'll be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary! Now...next question...for those that have sailed the Pearl. If you HAD to pick one specialty resturant to celebrate such an occasion....which one would you choose and why.

Happy Anniversary!

No one who does not know you can answer that Q for you. Some people will say Le Bistro for the French cuisine. Others will swear by the steaks at Cagneys. Still others might steer you toward one of the Asian themed restaurants for the sushi. It depends on you & what you like.

That said, sushi doesn't scream romance to me. I think you can find a good steak house lots of places. Le Bistro & the images of France / Paris etc. are a better back drop for love IMO. ;)

this will be DH and my first freestyle cruise. What is your opinon on freestyle...likes/dislikes.

DH and I probably won't be doing any specialty resturants do to the fact that with the high cost of the cruise, we don't want to pay any additional prices for food we've basically already paid for.

Thanks for your opinions.

Eating when I want to not when I "have" to

Not having to "dress up" unless I want to

Another "like" not dining related -- I like waiting in my cabin for disembarkation rather than in a public lounge

Dislikes:

None I can think of

BTW on our 2nd NCL cruise my husband and myself ate only at the "included" dining spots and found that to be just fine. There is no need to eat at the "pay extra" restaurants unless you want to.

You should be aware that not everyone likes "freestyle" but we certainly prefer it to "traditional".

Likes about freestyle:

1-eating when I want (which from my avatar you can tell is ALWAYS ;) )

2-eating with who I want or by myself

3-I met Zeno!

4-No monkey suit needed or expected!!! :D

Oops forgot to add and you meet "unusual" (in a good way) people.

The past 3 years we've cruised on NCL. This past summer we sailed RCCL and BOY did we miss the Freestyle!! We just do not like having to be at a certian place everynight at a certain time to eat. It's vacation! We want to come and go as we please and that includes where and when we eat.. Also, having sailed NCL the past several years and being able to relax in our cabin on debarkation day, this years RCCL cruise was a RUDE awakening when we were all herded into lounges and hallways for 2 hours waiting to get off the ship. This was not a way I want to end a relaxing vacation.

"Freestyle" is a nice concept; however, it doesn't work very well. Most guests seemed to prefer to eat during the same timeframe. For those who don't mind eating later, it's nice.

For the number of passengers onboard, there just isn't enough crew to maintain all the restaurants all day. The crew did their best on the PoAm last week, but they just can't keep up with the demand.

We love traditional dining. Freestyle is OK in a pinch, but given the choice . . . .

After 14 cruises, we still want them to be an event. The fanfare, the parades, the special attention from a wait staff that knows your needs, the room steward who was able to turn down your room because he knew when you would be at dinner.

On CCL, RCCL and X we've never had a problem getting a table at late seating if we were doing something that caught our fancy when we were scheduled for 1st seating. On all of our cruises, there was not much going on other than the kids activities during 2nd seating. If you're planning to hit the shows anyway, its nice to know they've planned it so you won't have to rush through your meal.

Since we're getting closer to the holidays, this analogy seems appropriate... For us, crusing Freestyle is like doing Christmas without church. Takes all the magic out of it.

"Freestyle" is a nice concept; however, it doesn't work very well. Most guests seemed to prefer to eat during the same timeframe. .

Your statements lose its validity when you now have so many other lines, who have had time to see how it works on NCL & Princess, now jumping on the bandwagon with their own versions of freestyle. They seem to believe it works. Plus, if a good number of people hadn't stated they want more freedom in their dining times, they would never have done it.

Funny how it never seems to work very well for those that need the pomp of traditional dining but seems to work very well for those that do not need that pomp and want the freedom to choise when and with who they dine.

Archived