04/May/08 MSC Opera

beachside

• 3 months later...

Hi Bruce,

I posted to another of your posts earlier this evening and just saw this one so I thought I would post to it as well as this one answered my question about where you are getting on the ship at. My wife Candice and I (David) will be boarding in Kiel and departing at 8 pm arriving in Copenhagen the next morning where you will be boarding.

We are from Anchorage, Alaska. We have 2 boys 2 and 4, but will be leaving them home with Grandma while you go on our second cruise. We went last May on RCCL Splendour of the Seas to the Greek Islands. Another 7 day cruise.

How about you.

David

Hi Joybaby,

Which cruise did you go on? We are really looking forward to the Baltic Sea Cruise May 08.:)

Did an 11 day S. Caribbean on the OPERA March 2007. It is not the standad mega cruise such as Carnival or RCCL. We really enjoyed it.

Hi Joybaby,

I mentioned we went on the Splendour of the Seas last spring to Athens, Mykonos, Katakalon, Corfu and Split. It was an awesome cruise, however the ship was rather old and it will be nice to be on a newer ship. That was only the second cruise for both of us and our first cruise together, but we are both fairly seasoned traverlers and are use to Europearn customs, so I don't believe we will be too disappointed with the Italian flair on board. Before I forget I notice a lot of anagrams with cruise conversations on the board and some I can figure out but some I cannot. Like DH is dear husband and dear wife is DW. Is there a section with this site that I can look over to find out what some of them mean?

How was the ride on the Opera. My wife gets motion sick, but was absolutely fine on the Splendour. It is about 11 tons heavier, longer and wider and has stabilizers. I want each of the cruises to be a positive experience so she will continue to go. Where do you hail from. I am not sure if you caught a previous post to Sue and Bruce who hail from Australia, but my DW and I are from Anchorage. I saw one of Bruce's post says he is going on an Alaskan cruise after the Baltic Cruise. I was hoping to connect with him before we go.

blndmn1

Hi Joybaby,

I mentioned we went on the Splendour of the Seas last spring to Athens, Mykonos, Katakalon, Corfu and Split. It was an awesome cruise, however the ship was rather old and it will be nice to be on a newer ship. That was only the second cruise for both of us and our first cruise together, but we are both fairly seasoned traverlers and are use to Europearn customs, so I don't believe we will be too disappointed with the Italian flair on board. Before I forget I notice a lot of anagrams with cruise conversations on the board and some I can figure out but some I cannot. Like DH is dear husband and dear wife is DW. Is there a section with this site that I can look over to find out what some of them mean?

How was the ride on the Opera. My wife gets motion sick, but was absolutely fine on the Splendour. It is about 11 tons heavier, longer and wider and has stabilizers. I want each of the cruises to be a positive experience so she will continue to go. Where do you hail from. I am not sure if you caught a previous post to Sue and Bruce who hail from Australia, but my DW and I are from Anchorage. I saw one of Bruce's post says he is going on an Alaskan cruise after the Baltic Cruise. I was hoping to connect with him before we go.

blndmn1

I felt the Opera to be quite stable. Have your wife take something to prevent motion sickness . I was also in the

Carib. so I can't say what your trip will be like. I hail from Ormond by the sea, Fl, north of Daytona Beach and so. of St. Augustine. I am not familiar w/ all the lingo on the CC site either and don't have a clue where you could find out how to translate it.

MSC is wonderful. I have done 20 cruises and this was my favorite line so far. I loved the Italian flair. My hus. and I are doing a transatlantic on the C. Freedom in April. Miami to Italy!

We sailed on the Opera last year to the Caribbean and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The ship was immaculate and we enjoyed all our meals. There was plenty of choice from the menu and waiters were really pleasant and helpful. The entertainment team were excellent. As it was our first cruise to celebrate our 25th Anniversary we were invited to join the Captain for drinks which was a pleasant surprise. We enjoyed the Caribbean so much so that we flew out to Tobago last September to spend a week on the Island. We have also booked another cruise for January 2009 to the Caribbean although we have booked this time on a different ship. But I have to say that the Opera is a hard act to follow.

Bon Voyage;)

Hi Joybaby,

If my wife takes any type of motion sickness meds, it just knocks her out. She is going to try the pressure point bands if she gets any nausea. I really haven't any idea what the seas will be like in the Baltic Sea, but hopefully it will be as calm as the Meditteranean was last May. Thanks for the post.

blndmn1

I've sailed on the Opera six times and love it. Did the baltic Cruise (Estonia and Russia) last July and thoroughly enjoyed it despite getting awful weather and being a klutz and tripping and spraining my ankle in Stockholm. The staff were brilliant and went out of there way to cheer me up when i was stuck on board the rest of the cruise as I couldn't walk very well. Look out for one of the senior barmen called carlos from the Phillipines. he normally worked in the Piano bar (La Caballa0 he is so friendly and funny - keeps you amused for hours.

Have a fantastic trip and I hope the summer is mmuch better for you this year than it was for me last year. Enjoy!

Hi AmoMondo,

Thanks for the info. I am so looking forward to the cruise. I have mixed emotions about it after reading some of the negative feedback some of the cruisers have been posting. My wife and I are really open minded and have traveled throughout Europe and are very use to the cultural differences. We do not expect the wait staff to bow before us and wait on us hand and foot, but we do expect them to perform their jobs with a good attitude and respect for their passengers. If you have been on this ship 6 times you must have loved it. We are looking forward to the same experience. Thanks, blndmn1

• 3 months later...

Hi AmoMondo,

I noticed you sailed the MSC Opera and I was wondering if you had any problems getting a shore excursion in english while in St. Petersburg or if you noticed any problems getting off the ship for those w/ private tour groups? Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Hi AmoMondo,

I noticed you sailed the MSC Opera and I was wondering if you had any problems getting a shore excursion in english while in St. Petersburg or if you noticed any problems getting off the ship for those w/ private tour groups? Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Unfortunately i did not make the hermitage Tour I booked - It definitely went ahead but as I'd had an accident whilst in stockholm and could barely walk, I wasn't able to go. I wasn't arouns as people were getting off so cant say how those on private tours got on. I never normally do shore excusrions 9except where there is no alternative because of visa or safety hassles) I invariably just walk off the ship without any bother. They do usually let those with shore excusrsions off first (officially) However they often have them all congregating in various lounges and take them down in groups rather than enmasse, so it's not usually a problem (except if there are tenders - then shore excusrion passengers always get tickets for the first tenders)

They do ofetn cancel English speaking tours on MSC often at the last minute because of low numbers and transfer you to another one. That said, you may be ok because as well as there being a sizeable number of germans on the baltic cruise you also get a lot of Russians and Scandinavians and they usually opt for the English speaking tours

Archived