Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sail With Me

Hurtigruten May 21, 2008

No I'm not, but I wish you a wonderful trip. I'm thinking about a similar trip in 2010, probably at the same time of year. I'm interested to hear how you decided to do the roundtrip. I've been mulling the northbound versus southbound, and wondering about it. My mum did the roundtrip years ago--she was a real freighter freak, spent months at sea. She adored it, and I've wanted to do it ever since.

Norway is a beautiful country. Are you doing any excursions?

I suggest you go for the whole round-trip!! The ship visits 34 ports each way. Ports stopped at during the night northbound are stopped at during day southbound, so we managed to see every port.

Scenery is so delightful - take a lot of films (I took 32 rolls :eek: ) or several memory cards for picture taking.

Hurtigruten do offer excusrions.

We went on Finnmarken because she is the only Hurtigruten ship with a swimming pool, and we had a 9yo son with us (he loved the cruise). The pool is outside on deck and its water is heated (very) seawater - lovely. Ship also has 2 spa pools.

Hi Karen.

Wendy: We also recommend the round trip. We did the 17 day Grand Norway in May 2005 on the Midnatsol and loved every minute of the trip.

Here's some pictures (along with some others).

Be glad to answer any questions.

Wendy - We were in a Cat U. Not very large, but adequate. It had a large round porthole. The size of a large window.

We were very seldom in the cabin. Truly just to sleep and change clothes.

Most of the time we were on deck, on a tour or by the 2 story windows at the front of the ship watching the scenery.

I am interested in this trip, either in 2009 or 2010 if I need to take the time for the round trip.

How do we get Cruise Critic to give Hurtigruten its own page?

I suggest you go for the whole round-trip!! The ship visits 34 ports each way. Ports stopped at during the night northbound are stopped at during day southbound, so we managed to see every port.

Scenery is so delightful - take a lot of films (I took 32 rolls :eek: ) or several memory cards for picture taking.

Hurtigruten do offer excusrions.

We went on Finnmarken because she is the only Hurtigruten ship with a swimming pool, and we had a 9yo son with us (he loved the cruise). The pool is outside on deck and its water is heated (very) seawater - lovely. Ship also has 2 spa pools.

If we only have time to go one direction, which one do you recommend and why? I am leaning towards South Bound even though it is one night shorter because it looks like it stops on Hammerfest, the Northernmost town (right?), plus than we could do a pre-cruise two nights in lapland.

The thing I like about the Northbound is the train to Bergen (I went on this train up and down from Oslo in 1984 and didn't get off) on the way up and flight directly home afterwards...

So, I can't decide.

The other question in order to get a queen bed, does that mean we will have to pay for a Suite?

Jade - I, too wish Hurtigruten had it's own page, but there's probably not enough interest for CC to do it. I asked about the same thing a couple years ago.

We found they did more things on the northbound. When we were in the Trollsfjord they had troll soup and "festivities" on deck. They had the King Neptune ceremony when we crossed the Arctic Circle. There was also a barbeque on deck with whale meat, sausages, etc. I think there were some excursions that were done northbound only.

Not sure if you can go to the North Cape on the southbound.

Looking at the map of stops, they do stop at Hammerfest both ways. I'm pretty sure they do all 34 stops both ways. Just the ones they stop at during the day going north, are at night going south.

Night being a relative term in the summer as it's light all the time.

The southbound seemed to have more commuters on our trip. Some of them just camped out on the forward observation decks.

I would recommend the northbound as it has more going on.

I believe the queen beds are suites only.

Jade - I, too wish Hurtigruten had it's own page, but there's probably not enough interest for CC to do it. I asked about the same thing a couple years ago.

We found they did more things on the northbound. When we were in the Trollsfjord they had troll soup and "festivities" on deck. They had the King Neptune ceremony when we crossed the Arctic Circle. There was also a barbeque on deck with whale meat, sausages, etc. I think there were some excursions that were done northbound only.

Not sure if you can go to the North Cape on the southbound.

Looking at the map of stops, they do stop at Hammerfest both ways. I'm pretty sure they do all 34 stops both ways. Just the ones they stop at during the day going north, are at night going south.

Night being a relative term in the summer as it's light all the time.

The southbound seemed to have more commuters on our trip. Some of them just camped out on the forward observation decks.

I would recommend the northbound as it has more going on.

I believe the queen beds are suites only.

Hmm, I'm glad I asked.

Most of the stops in the broshure look like they are for about 45 minutes (unless I am not reading right). Do you actualy get off of the ship?

I guess I noticed the Southbound because of the "Midnight Concert" and something about Hammerfest. But, if you stop either way, I guess the Northbound works better with the train to Bergen (so we can fly right home).

Commuters? Do you mean company employees catching a ride back to Bergen?

Hurtigruten started as a supply, mail and commuter line in the late 1800s. Sometime later (I don't know when) they started taking tourists for "the most beautiful voyage in the world".

But, they're still a supply and commuter line. There's room for 50 cars on the newest ships. People get on at one stop and go a few stops away to see Grandma & Grandpa or to go to Bergen for a holiday, etc.

The stops are anywhere from 15 minutes to 6 hours. You can take a tour that starts at one stop and gets back on at another.

You can get off at the 15 minute stops just to watch them load and unload supplies and the people going from there to the next town up the line (or where ever).

The midnight concert is only on the southbound and is OK, but my choice would be all the other things they do northbound they don't do southbound.

Look at the excursions available and I'll answer any questions I can.

We either did them or talked to people that did.

If you decide to go, I'll give you some hints and cheats.

Look at the excursions available and I'll answer any questions I can.

We either did them or talked to people that did.

If you decide to go, I'll give you some hints and cheats.

Ok, tell me. I want to do the Northbound trip. We are looking at 2009. Did you stop in Iceland on the way to Oslo?

Didn't stop in Iceland. We want to do a land tour of Iceland, sometime.

We did the 17 day Grand Norway. Here's our review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=189561&highlight=hurtigruten

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/rcicruisers

There's 4 albums of Norway pictures along with a lot of others.

One thing I forgot in the review is to tell everyone to take antibiotic creams or sprays with you. You need a prescription to get them in Norway.

The "lapplanders" refer to themselves as the "Sami" people. That's how they prefer to be called.

They do not pamper you on Hurtigruten. You're much more on your own than on a mainline cruise.

What tours are you interested in? We would do any of the ones we reviewed again.

The folks that did the glacier said it was worth it. We have walked on a glacier in Alaska, so we passed on that one.

Aquavit reminded us of good single malt scotch.

Didn't stop in Iceland. We want to do a land tour of Iceland, sometime.

We did the 17 day Grand Norway. Here's our review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=189561&highlight=hurtigruten

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/user/rcicruisers

There's 4 albums of Norway pictures along with a lot of others.

One thing I forgot in the review is to tell everyone to take antibiotic creams or sprays with you. You need a prescription to get them in Norway.

The "lapplanders" refer to themselves as the "Sami" people. That's how they prefer to be called.

They do not pamper you on Hurtigruten. You're much more on your own than on a mainline cruise.

What tours are you interested in? We would do any of the ones we reviewed again.

The folks that did the glacier said it was worth it. We have walked on a glacier in Alaska, so we passed on that one.

Aquavit reminded us of good single malt scotch.

Thank you. I will check out your review. A Glacier tour sounds good since our helicopter tour was canceled in Juneau because of the weather.

Any idea where in their catalogue the photo (after the table of contents) is taken with the guy out on the cliff (he looks like he could fall but the scenery is amazing). Is it in Geirangerfjord?

Also, what is the difference on where they take you to see the Sami's vs their "Taste of Lapland" extension. Is it the same group of people just across the border into Finland, so not necessary if you don't have enough time for the extention? (Plus, after a cruise ends we like to go straight home).

If you do the northbound and they have the same excursions, here's what I think (It's what we did and liked or heard from others)

1. Gerainger to Molde - We did Gerainger to Alesund as that was what was offered in May, but not in July. The ship ride back to gerainger is beautiful and the bus ride allows you to see different scenery as the ship sailsback to Alesund and on to Molde. As much as I dislike buses,I enjoyed the ride.

2. Nedaros Cathedral and Ringve Museum: If you're interested in music, this is a good tour. The Cathedral is beautiful, but still a Cathedral if you've seen one or more before. Glad we did it.

3. Glacier Adventure: We didn't, but the folks that did said it was worth it.

4. Tromso: We just walked around town as none of the tours made us want to spend the money.

5 North Cape: Must do just because of the ride there is nothing else. It defines desolation. The visitor center at Nordkapp is excellent. While there, send a postcard to yourself, have some of the best hot chocolate there is and buy a troll.

6. We did the Russian Border. OK, but not as good as the others. Would do something else next time. No input from anyone about any other tours.

Being a veteran of two round trips, I'd say the Northbound one is better than the Southbound for people who can take time for only one way.

Northbound: ship go into Geiranger fjord; there is a glacier tour which you board a smaller boat while at sea between 2 ports (it's both water and land tour), and end up in Bodoe; a few daylight hours in Tromsoe; daylight tour to North Cape; plenty of after dinner walks in ports. Also you have a couple of extra shopping hours in Trondheim.

Bergen is a delightful city and I recommend you going there at least 2 days before the ship departs. Better in Bergen than Kirkenes. We have been on part of the Oslo-Bergen train line and the scenery is just fantastic.

Icelandair now flies into Bergen (via Iceland) 2 or 3 times a week in the summer time. If you end up in Kirkenes you can easily fly down to Oslo (separate air fare) to catch the return Icelandair and call it a roundtrip.

Being a veteran of two round trips, I'd say the Northbound one is better than the Southbound for people who can take time for only one way.

Northbound: ship go into Geiranger fjord; there is a glacier tour which you board a smaller boat while at sea between 2 ports (it's both water and land tour), and end up in Bodoe; a few daylight hours in Tromsoe; daylight tour to North Cape; plenty of after dinner walks in ports. Also you have a couple of extra shopping hours in Trondheim.

Bergen is a delightful city and I recommend you going there at least 2 days before the ship departs. Better in Bergen than Kirkenes. We have been on part of the Oslo-Bergen train line and the scenery is just fantastic.

Icelandair now flies into Bergen (via Iceland) 2 or 3 times a week in the summer time. If you end up in Kirkenes you can easily fly down to Oslo (separate air fare) to catch the return Icelandair and call it a roundtrip.

Thanks bluesea and Paul for the tips. Perhaps we would fly directly to Bergen with a stop in Iceland. I have been to Oslo (and also took the Oslo-Bergen train up and back - did not get off) but it was over 20 years ago.

If you only do the Northbound, please tell me about the stop in Hammerfest? Is that the Northern most town in the World, or in Europe?

Here's the Wikipedia info about Hammerfest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerfest

Neither my wife nor I really remember Hammerfest. We don't remember whether we even got off either way.

North Cape (Nordkapp) is considered the northernmost point in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordkapp

We took the tour to the North Cape and would do it again.

I wouldn't base a trip on seeing Hammerfest as the northernmost city in the world as it's just based on population. There are other towns farther north.

Make sure you send a postcard to yourself from the North Cape as from the northernmost point. It's fun to get it sometime after you get home.

Here's the Wikipedia info about Hammerfest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammerfest

Neither my wife nor I really remember Hammerfest. We don't remember whether we even got off either way.

North Cape (Nordkapp) is considered the northernmost point in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordkapp

We took the tour to the North Cape and would do it again.

I wouldn't base a trip on seeing Hammerfest as the northernmost city in the world as it's just based on population. There are other towns farther north.

Make sure you send a postcard to yourself from the North Cape as from the northernmost point. It's fun to get it sometime after you get home.

Interesting info. No wonder I can't get a straight answer on the Northenmost city. Perhaps I am looking for the Northernmost town?

Located at 18px-Erioll_world.svg.png70.664° N 23.69° E, Hammerfest claims to be the northernmost city in the world, although the title is disputed by Honningsvåg, Norway, Barrow, Alaska and Longyearbyen, Svalbard. The validity of the claim depends upon one's definition of a city; Hammerfest is the world's northernmost settlement of more than 5,000 inhabitants. It is also the oldest town in North Norway. In spite of the extreme northern location, there is no permafrost, as the mean annual temperature is approximately 2°C, about the same as Anchorage which is located at a latitude of 61° North. Monthly 24-hr averages range from -5°C in January to 11.5°C in July.[2]

If you just want to be at the northernmost point in Europe, that's North Cape.

Just curious the reason for finding the northernmost city/town.

I have my Nordkapp t-shirt.