With the changes being made on RCI, what are your future cruising plans?

With all the changes being made at RCI will you be considering other cruise options?  

398 members have voted

1. 1. With all the changes being made at RCI will you be considering other cruise options?

• I love how RCI is changing. Bring on the Genesis!
    • I have been loyal to Royal, but will consider other options in the future.
    • I am changing to another mass market cruise line.
    • I am changing to a more upscale cruise line.
    • I am going the land vacation route in the forseeable future.
    • I haven't decide how this will affect me. I'm going to wait and see.

With the boards being full of concerns about changes on RCI I am curious to know how the changes are going to affect YOU, the experienced cruisers on this board. Will you be reconsidering how you vacation in the future or will you take it all in stride and accept it as progress?

I personally have loved my RCI cruises, but I am also including other cruise lines in my cruise searches now - something that I year ago I didn't do. I am also considering limiting myself to one cruise a year and going on some of the more upscale lines, like Celebrity or Azmara. What about you?

All the cruise line have/are making changes some good and some bad (depending on you opinion of bad).

I for one still think RCI is the cruise line for me. great activities, Royal Promonade on the larger ships, and they still treat Crown and Anchor members (repeaters) better than any of the cruise lines.

I viewed myself as an equal opportunity cruiser before the changes, and still see myself that way.

If one line has a better itenerary at a better price, I'll book that one. As you can see from my signature I've basically stayed with RC (and Port Canaveral for that matter! :p)

These changes don't really affect me one way or the other. But since I recently became Platinum, I think I'll lean alittle more toward RC. :)

We've decided to go try other lines - our last cruise felt more cookie cutter - we had a fabulous time and will be back to RCCL but we want to see what else is out there and then decide what we do from there.

I still think for our family right now and the ages of the kids that cruising offers us the best bang for the buck and best options for what to do so we will definitely keep cruising - I also just think we need an escape from land based vacations - we had a blast earlier this year in Vegas and then california but it was a lot of travel and more expensive then a cruise for 5 of us!

And while I do love a lot of the innovations RCCL has, I don't need or care for some of their signature things such as the Royal Promenade - it made me feel like I was in a mall (and I am not one who usually enjoys malls on land either or shopping) and I kept forgetting I was on a ship. I'll always love trying new things and new ships though so even if I decide after the fact it wasn't for me I will be on the lookout to book Genesis. For now we'll just pick cruises though based on what looks like it will work best for us, in all the lines. :)

RCI is still my first choice. I will try other lines from time to time but so far RCI still gives me the best overall cruise experience. RCI is a mass market line and I for one don't expect five star food on the prices that we are paying to cruise today. The entertainment options and service are better than any line that I have cruised to date. Also RCI does an outstanding job on maintaining their fleet along with keeping the ships clean. :)

For me, there is no answer on the poll. I will continue to cruise RCI, but I don't love all the changes.(I don't hate them enough to stop cruising the line)

Sorry, but you poll choices aren't great, therefore I did not answer it. You have definitely set it up to get negative responses.

I must admit I am a bit reluctant to cruise with another line. My parents did so a couple of years ago and it has stuck that Royal Caribbean have got it sussed - service, price and beautiful ships. My kids are addicted to RCCL and look forward to being on the maiden voyage of Independence. I regularly get paintings home from my 9 year old of the ships and what classes they're in i.e Vision, Radiance etc, how good is that, 9 and loving cruises (on his best beahaviour)??!! Bring on Genesis class but I love Radiance class ships personally, went on Jewel twice this year - fantastic.

What changes besides the fuel surcharge are actually verified? What did I miss? Most of what I have seen is rumor not fact.

I agree Sue and the fuel surcharge is now on just about cruise line operating. No cruise line is perfect and no cruise line can be everything to everyone. One just has to choose the one that comes closest to their needs. :)

For me, there is no answer on the poll. I will continue to cruise RCI, but I don't love all the changes.(I don't hate them enough to stop cruising the line)

Sorry, but you poll choices aren't great, therefore I did not answer it. You have definitely set it up to get negative responses.

Agree with Oville. Poll is slanted to only reflect negative responses. Change happens, and is happening to all cruise lines. I'll stay with Royal for now..........

I agree Sue and the fuel surcharge is now on just about cruise line operating. No cruise line is perfect and no cruise line can be everything to everyone. One just has to choose the one that comes closest to their needs. :)

Oh good, I have been ebaying all day (selling stuff) so I thought I missed something but obviously I didn't. :D:p:D

All the cruise line have/are making changes some good and some bad (depending on you opinion of bad).

I for one still think RCI is the cruise line for me. great activities, Royal Promonade on the larger ships, and they still treat Crown and Anchor members (repeaters) better than any of the cruise lines.

I voted the first option and then tried to delete it and couldn't. I can't say "I love the changes" or "bring on the Genesis." Rather, I am content that the changes are necessary; I don't particularly relish a bigger ship.

We went on the Explorer in September and loved her. (Rather, I loved her and my husband enjoyed her but said he would prefer a smaller ship.) Our next RCL cruise is on the Serenade, which I understand is marvelous. The NCL ship we have booked is a group tour where we didn't have a choice of ships.

We LOVE Royal Caribbean.

We have been cruising with RCL since we started and have seen no good reason to go elsewhere. They take wonderful care of us and the children, they love it more than we do. We are invested in RCL and will continue to cruise with them. From reading these boards lately it seems that some folks cannot be satisfied. We always go in with the understanding that nothing is perfect, there will be bumps in the road. As has been said here before, LIFE HAPPENS.

Enjoy

Bill

I still havn't seen any one post the changes you are talking about. What changes, besides fuel surcharge???? Lobster?? The only real changes are smoking policy, 2008, which hasn't started yet, Find your own babysitter?? (Try Disney, they have plenty) Alcohol?? (changed for a cpl of yrs now) Funny how some stupid rumors will get people in the negative mode to say anything without knowing what they are talking about. Just jump on any bandwagon, and complain away.

By the way the fuel surcharge will not be a surprise anymore, either. Got docs today for Jan. Serenade cruise, and #21 in cruise contract has been added regarding fuel surcharges. (it is in writing now for you legal eagles)

What changes besides the fuel surcharge are actually verified? What did I miss? Most of what I have seen is rumor not fact.

Where is the "What changes?" option?

Unfortunately the poll space didn't give me the option to list the changes I was thinking of. What prompted me to post this poll was simply curiosity as to how upset RCI cruisers really are. I see so many people who seem genuinely upset over recent and ongoing changes. Specifically, I refer to a general tone of lower quality of service, more 'nickle & dime' charges (I just saw a post mentioning that popcorn is now available on the Explorer for a $1 a bag charge) & the trend towards bigger ships. Since the fuel charge is industry wide I don't see that as a factor. However, some people are quite upset that it was added without warning to people with existing reservations.

Agree with Oville. Poll is slanted to only reflect negative responses. Change happens, and is happening to all cruise lines. I'll stay with Royal for now..........

You are right. Change does happen. It is inevitable and sometimes it is for the best, depending on what you are looking for in your cruise experience. For a young family (and many others) the trend toward the bigger ships is fantastic! (Bring on the Genesis!:D ) There are more entertainment venues available and prices are kept more manageable. For others it is not so great - more people and less intimacy.

I apologize if this poll is slated toward the negative side. I have never posted a poll before & I see that I could have worded some of it better. It was meant to start at the positive end and go toward the more negative. I myself prefer RCI and am not trying to bash it. However, since I love the Radiance Class the best, I can see myself looking elsewhere in the future for a more intimate cruising experience if RCI is going to eventually phase out the smaller ships. I do not know if that will ever happen, so please don't take it wrong!:eek:

As I stated before, I started this poll in response to all the people who seem to be unhappy lately with RCI. I was wondering if they are just venting or are really planning to go elsewhere.... I still believe RCI is the best vacation dollar & delivers the best product at the mass market level.:)

Although I'm not in favor of the Genesis ships, and could never imagine being onboard with 6400 other people, I don't feel the need to switch from RCI. There are still plenty of other classes of ships to choose from. RCI gives us a good product for the money right now, and the diamond level perks are a good incentive also. Should we feel the need to try another line, it would probably be Celebrity.

They can make all the changes they want as far as I'm concerned. Would I cruise on a Genesis class ship? NO! Would I cruise on a Freedom class ship? NO! Would I cruise again on a Voyager class ship? NO!

Let me keep my Radiance class and I'm a happy camper. I know that many people love the bigger ships, and I think that's great. That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla.

Happy sailing.

I have tried a lot of other cruise lines. Each has good and bad points. I keep coming back to RCL as they just seem to fit me. I will perhaps do more Celebrity cruises to as they are a bit closer to what it used to be like. I will be on the Voyager this Xmas and will find out how I like it. Those Radiance ships really are hard to beat though.

We will probably do it the same way we have always done it. Go for the line with the itinerary AND price we want. RCCL is ok by us but our minds are open.

We were on the Navigator in Nov.,07, TA to Ft. Lauderdale and heard rumours about combining RCCL and Celebrity cruise credits with an effect on points required to make platinum and diamond status changing in early 2008. We just made diamond and enjoyed the benefits on this cruise, but are a little nervous about the rumours.

I was hoping this thread might shed some light on the subject.

Rick

We will probably do it the same way we have always done it. Go for the line with the itinerary AND price we want. RCCL is ok by us but our minds are open. . . .

Yup, I cruise for the itinerary first, then price, and don't pay too much attention to the line. I'm here for the trip, not he "cruise experience"

Archived