Hiding in Your Cabin During Lifeboat Drill

nicknack

I "LOVE" the way many people listen about leaving their lifejackets on until they get to their cabins so they don't trip themselves or others with those pesky bands.... You know I don't think I have been on a single cruise where nothing has happened because everyone has listened. In fact the worst was a case of a broken hip and the end of the cruise for one poor lady before it even began because her husband knew better than to listen to a lady younger than him.

The answer to your question I think would depend on the individual.

If this is your 4th time sailing on the same ship and you are very famailar with the layout I would take note of your station but not go to the drilll. (I know I know...ohhhh she said she's not going to the drill)

I have gone to every lifeboat drill on every cruise except for the last one (it was my 2nd time on the Dawn and I knew exactly where my lifeboat station was)and feel that I will be able to handle an emergency just fine.

I was on the Regal Empress when she was docked in NYC and had to be evacuated due to a fire onboard and I can tell you that it was chaos!

The ship personell basically had everyone go to their nearest lifeboat, not their assigned lifeboat, and get on. You were handed a life jacket when you were getting on the lifeboat and there was no time to return to your cabin and get anything.

In my opinion....

If it is your 1st cruise or your 1st cruise on a particular ship I would say go...if not, stay in and hide :)

I believe there are three flaws in this way of thinking. First, you are assuming that nothing has changed . Second that you remember all the details. Third that the drill is a one way thing: "you" getting info; actually it is also for the crew to practice and check their procedures with the real amount of passengers, so if you don't show up you are messing the exercice for everyone. How can they, and fellow passengers, practice a crowed situation with part of the crowd missing ? Please help those who will risk their life to help you.

I have been to many Muster drills and have never heard any info given at least anything I can understand(muffled accent). They always lead you down stairs and and to the deck area. Everyone just stands around for a while and nothing is going on. I cannot recall ever hearing instructions given. Then you leave.

On my last one, we went to a lounge and sat on couches for 20 min. Then got the OK to leave.

I believe if anything ever happened, staff would probably lead you to the exterior deck.

This thread reminds me of my days as an RA in college when people would try to get out of fire drills/alarms and hide in their rooms! :D

And you just reminded me of fire drills on weekends at the women's college I attended.... amazing how many men you'd see out there in the middle of the night, looking sheepish! :D

I have experienced the most strict and efficient (HAL) and the most sloppy and inefficient (last Spirit cruise) mustard drills.

Tell ME about sloppy mustard drills. I'm always shaking and squeezing that yellow bottle and invariably...PLOP...the cap falls off and it's all over the place! I hate that.

Personally, far more than muster no-shows, the most hazardous cruisers in my book are those smoking inside their cabins.

I get real irritated at no shows b/c I am standing out there wasting my time for them to be located so the drill can end. People wanting to skip drills will get bad Karma thrown on them for being a selfish jerks and infringing on other peoples vacation time.

The one ship that did not seem to take roll call was MSC in Europe. Of course maybe they did, but there was a language barrier.

Archived