Much of a beach from which to watch Goofy Foot surf lessons in Lahaina?

AZGrandma

Ten of us are going surfing with Goofy Foot . . . but five others are too old, too young, or too chicken. ;) The non-surfers want to watch the rest of us make fools of ourselves . . . is there much of a beach from which to watch, where they can really SEE us in the water? Is there any shade there?

I called Goofy Foot and she said there was a beach and SOME shade, but I'd like to get some opinions from fellow tourist/travelers.

Mahalo,

Leslie

Ten of us are going surfing with Goofy Foot . . . but five others are too old, too young, or too chicken. ;) The non-surfers want to watch the rest of us make fools of ourselves . . . is there much of a beach from which to watch, where they can really SEE us in the water? Is there any shade there?

I called Goofy Foot and she said there was a beach and SOME shade, but I'd like to get some opinions from fellow tourist/travelers.

Mahalo,

Leslie

Leslie,

Been to the beach several times. You see it as you ride into port in Lahaina on the tender ships. Its not a very large beach, but I do seem to remember some shade. Its definitely not what I consider a "swimming" beach considering its proximity to the harbor and all the ships, the water is not very clean. Our cruise director on our last cruise was from Australia and he couldn't wait to get off and surf there. Definitely good for beginning surfing and plenty of room for family and friends to watch and laugh. Hope that helps.

Thanks - just dawned on me, I forgot to ask: are there beach chairs there, by any chance? My parents can't just plop down on the sand. I wonder if any of the public beaches ever have chairs on them . . .

I may ask this as a separate thread.

Leslie

Thanks - just dawned on me, I forgot to ask: are there beach chairs there, by any chance? My parents can't just plop down on the sand. I wonder if any of the public beaches ever have chairs on them . . .

I may ask this as a separate thread.

Leslie

No, there are no beach chairs at the beach there. It's not what I call a "beach" beach where I'd spend the day. It's a pleasant beach fronting the neighborhood homes and some commercial properties, and it's nice to stroll along or watch the surfers, but that's about it.

You may want to invest in inexpensive chairs when you arrive in Hawaii and leave them at the end of the trip. Many beaches in Hawaii do not have chairs of any kind available.

As an FYI, all beaches in Hawaii are (by law) public, but the chairs and other beach amenities owned by resorts are usually for the hotel guests only. Sometimes they rent to non-guests. Many of the larger beaches and those fronting resorts sometimes have kiosks where you can rent chairs and other equipment. Some have hard plastic loungers which are free for anyone to use. The public beach parks not fronting hotels don't usually have any chairs available, although there are some exceptions (such as Kahalu'u in Kona).

beachchick

Archived