Driving in S. Florida

nates04

DW and I are leaving on a cruise in a couple of days out of FLL. When we return, we have rented a car as our flight doesn't leave until 4:50 pm. I wanted to just take a relaxed drive down the coast to Miami, and was planning on taking 1A. Will likely stop for lunch and shoping if we see something interesting. We will then turn around and head back on the I95 to the FLL airport.

What I am wondering is if there is any traffic or construction concerns on these roads that I should be aware of? We will be driving around on the 23rd, which is a Sunday. We should have about 4 or 5 hours, and I am assuming that is enough time to do this loop with a few stops. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help.

Sounds like a good plan, and your right, weekend driving is a piece of cake. I'd pick up the AIA in Ft Lauderdale via US1 South to Sheridan Street as the section of A1A from Dania Beach Boulevard to Sheridan Street is under construction.

Great. Thanks for the responses. We will stick with the plans, with the slight change of route from Bequia. Just looking forward to a couple of relaxing hours after the cruise to see the area before we have to get on a plane back to freezing temps.

Great. Thanks for the responses. We will stick with the plans, with the slight change of route from Bequia. Just looking forward to a couple of relaxing hours after the cruise to see the area before we have to get on a plane back to freezing temps.

Stop at Wolfie Cohen's Rascal House for lunch. It is a Miami institution and it is on Collins Avenue and 172nd Street.

I would just drive back on AIA/Collins instead of I-95. Drive through South Beach until you get to Fifth Street and take a right. This will take you over the MacArthur Causeway and turns into 395 which takes you directly to the airport.

Basically, take a right on Fifth Street in South Beach and you'll run right into the airport.

One wreck on I-95 can have it backed up for hours.

Stop at Wolfie Cohen's Rascal House for lunch. It is a Miami institution and it is on Collins Avenue and 172nd Street.

I would just drive back on AIA/Collins instead of I-95. Drive through South Beach until you get to Fifth Street and take a right. This will take you over the MacArthur Causeway and turns into 395 which takes you directly to the airport.

Basically, take a right on Fifth Street in South Beach and you'll run right into the airport.

One wreck on I-95 can have it backed up for hours.

Just want to make sure the OP realizes that they need to take I-95 to get to the FLL Airport. 395 will take them to the Miami Airport. From I-95 they will be taking Griffin or 595 to the FLL airport. The Car Rental place I'm sure will tell them the best way for the rental returns. I've all the sudden forgotten where they recently moved the rental returns to. I do believe 395 will take them to I-95 but someone needs to verify that.

The OP seems to have done their homework. They didn't say anything about 395 so that shouldn't be an issue, the signage in the area is quite clear and it would be extremely difficult to confuse the two.

The car rental location at FLL is opposite terminal 1. Signage for the car renter is excellent at the airport, they will have no problem picking up or returning the vehicle.

My main concern was that they not get confused by the misdirection towards the Miami airport. I actually haven't parked at the Fort Lauderdale Airport Since May 2005. Since my son was born and we travel with him family is willing to drop us off. Even when I go on business trips my husband will come and I do business and he will investigate the city with our son.

But I do know that in all my years of going to the FLL airport since I've been driving I've never gotten lost. It's just that I know they recently moved the rental car locations and although easy to find I just forgot where they were. But they have made it easier for airline passengers.

Just want to make sure the OP realizes that they need to take I-95 to get to the FLL Airport. 395 will take them to the Miami Airport. From I-95 they will be taking Griffin or 595 to the FLL airport. The Car Rental place I'm sure will tell them the best way for the rental returns. I've all the sudden forgotten where they recently moved the rental returns to. I do believe 395 will take them to I-95 but someone needs to verify that.

Oops! Ignore my advice! For some reason I thought the OP was flying out of Miami Airport! So sorry!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I have been busy packing as we are leaving tomorrow morning. I realized that I was accidentally given Miami directions by one poster. No worries...we have it all figured out. I appreciate everyones concern and help, and am looking forward to getting out of our cold weather. It is 10 degrees outside right now!

Cheers.

Archived