Norwegian Dream - Buenos Aires to Valpariaso - maybe!

shwa65

I’m a passenger writing on December 13, 2007 from the Norwegian Dream (soon to be rechristened the Norwegian Nightmare - too obvious a new name, but somebody had to say it!). I should be writing while we’re cruising from Puerto Madryn, Argentina to the Falkland Islands but am actually writing from Montevideo, Uruguay, three days behind schedule - so far.

You can read about why we’re not where we should be by Googling:

Norwegian Dream Montevideo barge collide

Or some similar combination. Here’s one link

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN10448469

Apparently what happened is roughly the following. We left Buenos Aires Sunday night, arrived in Montevideo Monday morning and spent the day there. Leaving…. (The following is what passengers who observed the collision reported. The Captain hasn’t given us any specific information, and probably nobody would believe him if he did.) The chain connecting a tug towing a barge across our path snapped. Our ship was unable to swerve enough, and we collided head-on with the barge, knocking cars and containers off the barge into the channel, and denting our ship. Nice shot, Captain Mogic! All this was enough to cause the harbor at Montevideo to be closed for a day while they made sure the cars and containers that fell off the barge weren‘t a hazard (they may have removed some or all of these from the channel).

You may ask: In 2007, with GPS, radar, computers, etc., how does one ship collide with another in open water with unlimited visibility? Good question. We would ask Captain Mogic (from Croatia, apparently), but he’s busy finishing his degree in Navigation Methods from DeVry Tech correspondence school, while the welders are re-assembling the bow of the ship. We’ve also learned that the Captain should also be taking correspondence school courses in Basic English and in Customer Relations.

We sat in the water waiting for the harbor to re-open for 24 hours, and then returned to Montevideo for repairs. They first promised repairs would take only a few hours, and we’d be cruising away late Wednesday afternoon. As of now, Thursday noon, they’re promising early this evening. These promises are the equivalent of what the pilot on a plane tells the passengers when they’re stuck on the tarmac.

The itinerary for the cruise has been shot to hell. The overwhelming priority for Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) is very, very clearly to get the ship to Valparaiso on December 23 - literally come hell or high water - so that the passengers for the next Valparaiso-Buenos Aires cruise can be loaded on board that day. We were originally scheduled for 6 port stops between Montevideo and Valparaiso; now the revised itinerary has only two stops. One of these is a 12-hour stop in Punta Arenas. The speculation is that this stop was kept so that NCL can put people on the big-bucks-for-them excursions ($2,199 for a flight to Antarctica or $999 to Torres Del Paine National Park). The goal is obviously NOT to get in as many port stops as possible.

What are the passengers feeling? Anger, disappointment, frustration, sadness, and lots of other adjectives come to mind. This is largely a senior citizen group, and this may be close to a last opportunity for this sort of cruise for many. Actuarially, upwards of 100 of them are likely to die within the next year, and this will be their last opportunity for a cruise experience. This is sad by any standard. Also, people have lost vacation time for a two-stop cruise, paid air fares, etc. - this may well turn out to be loss which can be compensated. Running into the barge is by definition an act of negligence and incompetence; this is not a loss of ports due to bad weather. Petitions are being gathered, and people are calling and e-mailing their travel agents and attorneys. We assume NCL is negotiating with its insurance carrier and attorneys.

What has been the response of NCL in terms of compensation for missed ports and dashing of dreams? The first response (when the delay was advertised to be brief) was a $150 shipboard credit. The second (and current) response is: a 50% refund of the cost of the cruise + the $150 shipboard credit + a 15% discount on a future cruise IF (a big IF) you do the booking while you’re onboard the Norwegian Dream. Not bloody likely!

A few developments as of the last few hours (it’s now early afternoon on Thursday, December 13):

1. We’ve learned that one tour group is giving 100% refunds to its passengers, after negotiations between their corporate counsel and NCL. Presumably NCL is picking up the tab.

2. Captain Mogic announced that the revised two-stops itinerary would be followed, and said in effect that people should now either begin to enjoy the cruise or get off the ship (it’s hard to follow his broken English, but this is the essence of what the said). The Cruise Director followed Mogic’s announcement by saying in Spanish that the troublemakers should leave. This rankled the passengers as much as the problems with the ship.

3. Meanwhile the passengers organization has the name and e-mail address of the major cruise passenger plaintiff’s attorney in Miami.

4. There have been reports that a PR person has been flown in to try to calm the passengers. Captain Mogic just made an announcement that we guess was scripted for him, with even a silly quote from Oscar Wilde, and was much less “love it or leave it.”

I’ll try to keep posting to CruiseCritic as often as possible. The Norwegian Dream’s internet access is pricey (40 cents per minute on the cheapest plan) and unreliable - there have been several times when I pressed SEND on an e-mail and nothing happens. One learns to compose on the word processor, and COPY/PASTE into the e-mail message area, expecting to have to repeat the process a couple of times to get the message sent.

I posted yesterday on this thread on the Norwegian Dream Buenos Aires-Valparaiso December 9-23. I didn’t mention last time that the hole dead-center in the bow and about 10 feet above the waterline was about 5 feet in diameter. I’ll post photos if I can figure out how to do it. But we now know why the ship didn’t go to Buenos Aires for repairs if there were only a small dent in the hull (Captain Mogic’s initial assessment) - that would have been unsafe, even by Mogic‘s standards. It wasn’t a small dent; it was a big hole!

Here are updates as of December 14:

1. We’re moving as fast as the ship will go toward Cape Horn, due there two days behind schedule. Our first docking on the new itinerary is Punta Arenas, also two days behind schedule, after 4+ days at sea, but with a rounding of Cape Horn. The first priority of NCL is still to get the ship to Valparaiso not a minute late on December 23 (obviously, they could have added another port call, arrived later in the day on the 23rd, and still have gotten the new set of passengers on board and left Valparaiso the 23rd, making up the time en route).

2. The flight to Antarctica is no longer on the excursion schedule; likewise for the excursion to the major penguin colony at Magdalena Island (apparently the ferry to the island isn’t available the day we arrive). They’ve added an excursion to a smaller penguin colony at Otway.

3. Still no word on compensation. The natives continue to be restless. If NCL ends up with several classes of compensation (100% to people on organized tours and consequently more clout, 50% to people who booked by themselves or with Vacations to Go or equivalent), there may be a passenger mutiny. A story is circulating that one time there was a problem on the QE2, and the passengers refused to leave the ship at the end of the cruise until they got what they wanted (I have no idea if the story is true).

4. My thinking-as-a-reasonable-person compensation recommendation:

50% credit for the price people paid for the cruise (already on the table)

$150 per person shipboard credit (already on the table)

$61 credit for port fees (already on the table and not really compensation since I presume that’s fees for the ports we aren’t stopping at - NCL couldn’t realistically expect to get away with charging port fees for ports where we didn’t stop!).

My addition:

50% credit for the price people paid for the cruise to be applied toward a future cruise in the next 5 years.

People who are over 75 or have valid major health problems could get back 100% of the price now, on approval by NCL. I still am concerned about all the senior citizens on board for whom this is likely to be their last cruise opportunity.

It will be interesting to see if NCL sticks to its initial low-ball hard-ball offer, in which case the passengers will also go to hard-ball tactics. Does NCL really want to defend small-claims actions in many hundreds of districts in the US alone? Does NCL really want the public relations nightmare of hundreds of retirees talking with their friends and children and grandchildren about how they were done out of their last chance to cruise because the captain hit a barge, and the company didn’t even have the decency to reimburse them for their greatly diminished cruise experience?

One hopes NCL corporate minds will decide that passenger good will is at least as important as the bottom line (think about how well the incident with Tylenol years ago was handled). At this point compensation is a relatively small, but very, very important part of the picture. Plus we presume almost everything will be covered by insurance.

Back to things more interesting than money:

5. Second to most important: Captain Mogic is no longer on board. Presumably he had to stay behind in Montevideo for the inquiry into how he managed to hit a barge head-on in broad daylight with unlimited visibility. One person with a GPS said the ship slowed from about 17 mph as it was leaving the harbor to 14 mph when the collision occurred - so much for emergency thrust reversal, etc. Perhaps Mogic will be keelhauled when the Dream returns to Montevideo, or given a rowboat and told to navigate his way back to Croatia - with his abilities, he‘d probably end up going up the river to Iguacu Falls.

The new Captain is Aage Hoddevik, from Norway, the Captain of the Marco Polo. What a difference. He’s good. Really, really good. Jokes in many languages, told us about how he is missing Christmas in Norway to give us a good experience, etc. Said we would test the new hull on icebergs and glaciers to get ice for the cabins if we got a chance. Smooth, smooth - in a good way. He definitely makes the natives somewhat less restless.

6. Most important: The front-line staff have been GREAT!! They’ve had to deal with disappointed/angry/frustrated/unreasonable passengers, and everything we’ve seen has been consistent with courtesy and professionalism. NCL should put into their budget for this incident a bonus for all the front-line staff.

7. And we still like the ship - very much. The food has been quite good, the staff are uniformly courteous, and we like the “Freestyle Cruising” where we don’t have to sit with the same set of people for two weeks.

I have several questions, and a couple of comments. My first comment is folks need to understand that any legal action is limited by contract, to Miami, USA. Second, Suggesting or threatening mutiny, is a crime. I would strongly suggest you not use that term. I like most readers of your experience sympathize with you and the other folks on the ship. I cannot imagine saving for the wonderful itinerary and having things go so wrong. I believe sound minds and rational thinking by NCL will prevail, and a satisfactory settlement will be made. Sound business judgment says they aren't able to provide you anything close to what you contracted for, so despite all of the contractual disclaimers, they owe it to you, to do the right and honorable thing.

Was there a pilot on board?

Why are you convinced it was your Captains fault, since the barges tow line failed?

Why are you separating those over 75 from the other cruisers? I can imagine many who have used hard earned savings for this cruise, who will never have an opportunity again.

Al

I find one has to 'roll with the flow' when these things happen. Keep in mind that, regardless of whose fault it is, there is nothing anyone can do to undo an accident!

If the ship comes up with an alternative plan, try to make the best of it. I've found in the past that, once everything gets sorted out, the cruise line usually rewards passengers who have stuck it out (and not left the ship to go back home) with something extra, worthwhile and unexpected.

We were on a ship that skipped a much-anticipated port stop (due to an accident). The ship's captain made alternative arrangements (but of course he had to verify the arrangements with company management and port authorities and this took time). Ultimately, we had one of our best cruises ever and did NOT regret having stuck it out without abandoning ship.

My wife and I have been on 17 NCL cruises over the last 18 years. Six of these cruises have been on the DREAM (DREAMWARD) and we are cruising again from BA to Valapraiso on March 2. We have experienced missed ports (all of them once because of a hurricane) and we feel NCL has always made the best of a bad situation. We love NCL and are now planning to sail again after our next cruise. I am sure there was a pilot in charge as the DREAM left port and when a barge is adfift in a confined area this is a captain or pilots worst nightmare as this is a loose cannonin an enclosed space in (as I understand) heavy winds. Don't be in a hurry to place the blame on the DREAM. When she had a problem in the past in the English Channel it was the fault of a ship fighting a fire that was not watching their course as they were handling thier emergency. All the piolot or the captain of a pasanger ship can do is to follow the rules of the road as we all do in driving every day. I an oncoming car swerves in your lane don't change in his lane as he may swerve back. The Dream had to maintain a certain speed to maintain seaway. As far as missing ports that is the chance you take when you take a cruise! Our tranatlantic cruise on the Voyager OTS this April had to miss Bermuda and head for Purto Delgado in the Azores due to the port in Bermuda being closed due to bad weather. Many cruisers were meeting family members in Bermuda, the ship's entertaiers were leaving or getting on board in Bermuda and they did not make their connection. We ran out of bananas! But, we all survived and made the best of it. RCCL gave us no refunds etc. But we had a good cruise. I would hope "senior cruisers", and I am one, would be able to roll with the punches . NCL has offered a good $ package under the circumstances. :) We know that Stanley and Puerto Madryn are always "iffy". Trust the Dream to make your cruise a good one and you have an adventure to talk about when you get home. Glad you like your new Captain. Don't Worry - Be Happy! Chuck and Marion Packard packman266@aol.com

First, I am stunned by the new cost of the Antartica overflight! It has really skyrocketed since two years ago.

Second, agree that the term mutiny is a poor one to use.

Third, also am unsure why you persist in blaming the captain for an incident where a tow cable broke on a different vessel...hardly his fault in any way. You seem more concerned with his facility with the English language than with his maritime skills. And it is also a surprise that the harbor pilot was not in charge, unless the location of the crash has been misrepresented.

Most agree that the compensation package outlined by NCL is pretty darn fair. Not sure I can say the same thing about your account, actually.

1.The first priority of NCL is still to get the ship to Valparaiso not a minute late on December 23 (obviously, they could have added another port call, arrived later in the day on the 23rd, and still have gotten the new set of passengers on board and left Valparaiso the 23rd, making up the time en route).

So, if the ship were to arrive late into Valparaiso on December 23rd how do you expect all the passengers on the current cruise to travel home???? Two days before Christmas I somehow don't think there would be a lot of empty seats on flights.

shwa65 - I can sympathize with the frustration and anger the change in Itinerary has caused, but where you lose my sympathy is in the way you seem to single out the Captain for a lot of personal abuse. Why does where he was born have any bearing on this? Also unless he has forgotten his English skills in the 2.5 years since I cruised with him, he has very good English skills.

I'm sure also many of your fellow passengers will be shocked at your assumption that 100 or more wont see another year out !!

It always disappoints me when something goes wrong and the first response for many is to forget all about having any kind of fun and get the lawyers on the phone to see how much can be wrung out of the cruise line.

I've seen it first hand when on the Dream the cruise after the engine blew and we missed Sitka. There were so many people determined to have a lousy time after that. Sure it is disappointing, but fully in accordance with the terms of what everyone has paid for. At the end of the day only you can choose how you respond to any situation, you can choose to get on with it, put it behind you and make the best of rest of the cruise or choose to be unhappy and spend the entire cruise making your own and everyone else's life a misery.

shwa65 - I can only imagine your frustration especially if you started planning this cruise a long time ago and had your heart set on certain ports and excursions. I would be, too.

What I don't understand is your bashing of the captain without having the entire story of what happened. All reports are that the chain from the tug boat carrying the barge broke. How is that the captain's fault? Maybe there are other circumstances we don't yet understand, but for now it appears from a long distance that facts need to be gathered before placing blame.

Would I be ranting and groaning if I were on the ship? Probably. But the cruise continues, and you're going around the Horn! That is just awesome as far as I'm concerned.

So, that's MHO for what it's worth.

Shawa65, please let me add how sorry I am that you are missing some very important ports that you had your heart set on. I know when Casablanca was canceled on our Gem cruise we were very disappointed and saddened and mad at NCL. When several of us posted questioning the decision, we got roasted by the NCL defenders. However I will be glad to commiserate with you as you are losing out on a lot.

My 2 cents worth on the accident. No one will be able to determine immediately who was at fault or at what percentage of liability until the accident investigation is complete. Jumping to conclusions cannot help. 2nd, even if the barge is loose there is liability with the barge owner, but if it is determined that the Dream failed to act, act in a timely manner or acted in a timely manner, but improperly then NCL and the Captain have some responsibility for the accident.

In commanding a ship or an aircraft the captain or pilot are always responsible for the safety and operation of their ship or airplane.

So for those who wish to jump on Shaw65 and defend NCl, think about how they are feeling now with a disappointment of a lifetime and maybe don't flame as hard. Shawa65, take a deep breath, I feel for how upset you are now. Take notes of conversations, promises of offers by NCL and when you get home, begin to deal with the issues and hopefully without to much effort NCL will do the right thing to keep you as a loyal cruiser.

And for those who disagree with me, that's ok too. If you need to flame somebody, flame me. I am and air traffic controller and college baseball umpire and I have pretty thick skin.

December 15, Norwegian Dream, en route from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. The ship continues to cruise as fast as possible toward Cape Horn. Again, the priority of NCL is toget the ship to Valparaiso on time on December 23, not to get in as many port stops as possible (on the other hand, they have promised a rounding of Cape Horn, which apparently was the first priority of the passengers). Reminder of what’s being missed: The three major port stops: Puerto Madryn (outstanding wildlife possibilities), the Falklands (because it’s a place most people/ships don’t go), and Ushuaia (because of where it is). We’re still scheduled for two stops at less interesting ports, but with fewer penguin-watching possibilities. Captain Hoddevik, continuing to charm the passengers, said, “And if there are no penguins, we’ll make them!” to applause by the passengers. Whatever they are paying Captain Hoddevik for coming on board, they should double the figure!

Somebody said on a thread the equivalent of, “Mentioning the word ‘mutiny’ on a ship is enough to get you tossed in the brig or overboard” [i’m being facetious here!]. Some words are not allowed on board - we’ll now call it the “M” word, and I apologize for using it even when I was trying to be humorous.

Another thread about this accident raised the question of whether former Captain Mogic or a pilot from the port was in charge when the collision occurred. My best guess is that the pilot was long gone and the Captain was in charge:

1. After the collision, Captain Mogic said that a pilot boat would come out and inspect the Dream. About 10-20 minutes later, a small pilot boat showed up, and went around the Dream several times. We didn’t see any such boat at the time of the collision.

2. If a pilot had been in charge of the ship, it seems very, very likely for PR reasons alone that there would have been an announcement to the passengers to that effect.

The maritime attorneys will sort all this out, of course.

Some questions passengers are speculating about are

1. Did the Dream deliberately hit the barge head-on? Presumably the prow/bow (whatever the right term is) is stronger than the sides of the boat, which could have been much more damaged in a sideswipe collision, and possibly more dangerous to passengers in their cabins.

2. How narrow was the channel where the collision occurred? Maybe it was so narrow that the collision couldn't have been avoided once the barge went adrift.

We haven't been given any information about what happened. The proverbial mushrooms....

By the way, I'm giving this information just because these are SLOWWWW days at sea, and somebody might be interested. If my attempts at humor offend, I apologize again.

Back to the treadmill, good food, a great staff, and maybe a nap after lunch.

Speculation as to who was in charge of the ship, or who is to 'blame' really serves no purpose and helps no-one. What happened is in the past and only the lawyers and courts will work out what they see a their version of the 'truth'.

I can understand why this is is a subject that will be running around in your head during the cruise, so bear in mind that while a pilot is on board you may never see a pilot boat. Generally the pilot boat only gets close to the ship when the pilot gets on and off, and sometime in a channel the pilot boat the drops off isn't the same or even comes from the same place as the pick up boat. And for legal reasons, not PR ones I would not expect the Captain to make any public announcements that could be construed as laying blame on the pilot.

Speculation as to who was in charge of the ship, or who is to 'blame' really serves no purpose and helps no-one. What happened is in the past and only the lawyers and courts will work out what they see a their version of the 'truth'.

I can understand why this is is a subject that will be running around in your head during the cruise, so bear in mind that while a pilot is on board you may never see a pilot boat. Generally the pilot boat only gets close to the ship when the pilot gets on and off, and sometime in a channel the pilot boat the drops off isn't the same or even comes from the same place as the pick up boat. And for legal reasons, not PR ones I would not expect the Captain to make any public announcements that could be construed as laying blame on the pilot.

There is no speculation as to who was in charge of the ship. By law when the captain is on board HE is in charge . . . no one EVER takes that responsibility from him.

SHWA - Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated. Please DO continue. I can imagine just how disappointed all the passengers are feeling, but I hope by now you all have gotten some perspective on the situation.

Accidents DO happen - that's just life. It'll take a long time for it all to be sorted out and it seems to me that NCL is making quite an effort to offer compensation, which by the terms of your contract, they are not obligated to do.

So, kick back, take nice long naps, have an extra martini, read a good book, and be thankful you are not in the northeast US right now where the weather is frightful and predicted to get worse.

And remember, "Blessed are the Flexible, they shall never be bent out of shape.";)

Interesting photos Bunting. Does not look like my usual mental picture of a channel however. Concur that the absence of a visible pilot boat does not mean harbor pilot was not guiding the ship at the time.

Interesting photos Bunting. Does not look like my usual mental picture of a channel however. Concur that the absence of a visible pilot boat does not mean harbor pilot was not guiding the ship at the time.

Without knowing more I wonder which one had the right of way?

I've been following this thread because I have interest in the Dream, having sailed on her several times, and I've also done this itinerary on the Dream. I totally get the disappointment the passengers must feel having to miss some of the ports. The Falkland Islands was one of my favorites. However, in fairness, there's no way to know if this stop would have happened anyway because this stop is missed OFTEN because of seas. Besides that, from what I've read in this post and in a few other places, this accident wasn't the Dream's fault. Something got in their way. Ships can't stop on a dime. Titanic anyone? ;)

I think the OP is understandably upset but his comments about the captain are unfounded and speculation and fueled by anger and not facts. I've sailed with Captain Mogic and Captain Hoddevik (sp on both?) and both seemed capable and competent. Why wouldn't they be? It's not like there aren't qualifications to be a captain. The Devry comment was childish in my opinion and derogatory to those that actually go to Devry. And to even bring up the question of the Dream hitting the barge on purpose is too silly to address. Oh, as long as I'm on it...of course their trying to get the ship to the next embarkation port for the next cruise. Should NCL ruin the vacation of the next 2000 people because there was an unfortunate accident on your cruise?

Again, I sympathize with everyone on the current cruise. The South America itinerary was one of my favorites. But when accidents happen, it's always so easy to point the finger at everyone instead of understanding that accidents happen. That's why they're called accidents and not on purposes.

Just a note about Captain Mogic. He very much impressed me on our cruise aboard the Dream in Nov '06. His english was excellent, I will attest to that. Perhaps his accent made his announcements difficult to understand for some.

Commanding a ship is a huge responsibility, and accidents will happen. I hope that he is well. I also hope for the opportunity to sail again with him at the helm. I wouldn't worry for a second.

I hope that NCL is fair to all the passengers. Good will is always expensive when you must resort to paying cash. In the end, choosing to enjoy the rest of the cruise seems to be one's best course of action.

Most importantly, nobody was injured or killed. Cars and containers, dream vacations and the like can all be made again.

Thank you, shawa65.

I really appreciate your reports and I do enjoy your humor, especially in light of the incovenience this incident has caused for you and the other passengers.

I too have sailed on the Dream a number of times and have missed ports due to mechanical problems. But, I never experienced anything like you folks have.

When I did this cruise, I found the penguin viewing to be somewhat of a disappointment but it might have been due to the timing of the cruise.

Also, the Falklands were not that great due to the fact that we were only able to use one engine and had only 4 hours there. That and the fact that we couldn't walk around much due to the explosives left over from the war did not give us a full appreciation of this isolated outpost. Other than visiting a small museum, the highlight was drinking beer in a pub with some of the British military stationed there.

I hope that some good times can be salvaged from your cruise and that you will have good weather around the Horn. For me, the highlight of the cruise was the glacier viewing in Chile. I hope you will get to see that.

Please continue with the updates if you have the time and inclination.

Mike

Well said Host Cecilia! We needed a voice of reason and thankfully we got one. I knew that I wouldn't be able to handle it as well as you did and would probably not have chosen such kind words to deal with such hatred.

Fran

Pre-note: I tried to post the note below, but got a "no connection" message. I apologize if this gets posted twice.

December 16 update from the Norwegian Dream

It’s another SLOWWWWW day at sea on the Norwegian Dream, so I’ll subject this thread to a few more observations.

The excitement yesterday (December 15) was that at about 12:45 p.m. (9:45 a.m. EST) the lights went out all over the ship. Simultaneously or shortly after that, the air conditioner blowers went out. Then a couple of minutes later the ship’s engines stopped, and we were shortly at a dead stop in the water. Fortunately, the sea was quite calm. After a few more minutes, Captain Hoddevik said on the loudspeakers that they were looking into the situation. In a few more minutes, the engines started up again, and we were on our way. Not another word about what happened. We’ve certainly never had the engines stopped in the middle of the ocean on any voyage we’ve been on. Does anybody have any idea what might have happened? We have our emergency evacuation kits ready to go.

Shortly after lunch today, Captain Hoddevik announced that we have been able to move faster than expected, and would have a few hours in port at Ushuaia, as well as the cruise around Cape Horn. YAY!! Great management technique: Underpromise and overperform. My last comment was that NCL should double whatever they promised Captain Hoddevik for taking this trip. I think another doubling is in order.

Along the same lines: I made a number of snarky comments/jokes about former Captain Mogic and his navigational/English/communications skills. For all I know, he may be kind to his family and pets, and despite the evidence at hand he may be a good navigator, but his communication and leadership skills stink. Captain Hoddevik’s accent in English is as thick as Mogic’s, but Hoddevik communicates reassurance and steadiness while Mogic was borderline abrasive. Also, Mogic initially said there was a small dent in the hull - it was a hole, and he certainly knew that. He initially said it would take a couple of hours to fix, and it took a day and a half. Every passenger getting off the boat in Montevideo knew immediately this was no fix-in-4-hours repair. Another management lesson: once you lose your credibility, you’re sunk (a bad term to use when related to ships!).

Again, the issue is leadership and communication skills. Being Captain of a cruise ship is like being the COO of a reasonable-sized corporation: annual revenues of a cruise ship are in the hundreds of millions of US dollars, with hundreds of employees and several thousand clients/customers - every week. Anybody in the position of a Captain needs to have superb innate skills, or to have undergone and absorbed leadership/management/communications training equivalent to that of people in similar management positions in “dry-land” companies. Captain Hoddevik has the needed modern management/communications skills; Captain Mogic doesn’t. Giving Mogic such training should be the first order of business for NCL once the inquiry into the accident is completed - assuming NCL doesn’t use him as the fall guy for what happened.

Enough blather for today. It’s time for afternoon coffee and a cookie. No treadmilling today, but I’ll subject myself to the pain of weighing myself in the gym tomorrow morning, and go on a diet - at least until I see Eggs Benedict on the breakfast menu an hour later.

@shwa65 : OK, I'm going to stop following this thread now as you seem insistent on using it to further your attack on the previous Captain of the ship regardless of the comments against this from others. As someone who has contributed nothing previously to the Cruise Critic community, I find many of your personal comments ill-informed and judgmental, with no place on these forums. Sure you are still mad at NCL and personal opinion will always be welcome, but you have to call a halt at some point to personal abuse. I'll leave it for the new moderators to sort this out and go read some other threads instead.

Archived