Confused about....

dakota57

WHAT TO WEAR!!!!!!

We leave this Saturday on the Navigator (our family's first cruise!) but I'm thoroughly confused as to the dress code in the Dining room.I have read a couple of different things regarding "the dress code"..(Our cruise is a five nighter..)

I read somewhere that the 23rd is our formal night (that's the easy one!). This is where my confusion sets in :o. I read that the 24 & 25 are semi-formal (Jacket for the guys, cocktail dress or pants suit for the girls???) The other nights (being our first & last night) are casual...my kids want to wear jeans but I dont know about that as I read jeans are not welcome..what does casual mean?

I also read that semi formal or resort casual has been changed to casual??

OF course, it's Christmas so my family will be dressed accordingly so those nights are not a problem..

Help! I certainly do not want to offend anyone on our first cruise by wearing the wrong clothing. And, of course, because I am the "family organizer" everyone is asking me what to pack & wear!!!:eek:

Thanks so much for your advice...

(all I really want is a foofoo drink,a lounge chair, and the big blue sea ;))

Please don't stress out about dinner clothes - you will see people dressed in all sorts of different ways, and as long as you're not wearing something severely dressed down (like shorts in the dining room), you'll blend right in.

Since it is a holiday cruise, people may dress up a bit more festively on the 24th and 25th. But generally, any night that's not formal is casual. They've really done away with semi-formal and informal distinctions.

Men/boys usually wear Docker style pants with a cotton shirt - either a golf shirt or a crew/v-neck shirt. Jeans are not forbidden, as many people here think they are, however most people do not wear jeans because they are too hot/heavy for the Caribbean. Shorts and baggy, logo-type TShirts, tank-tops, baseball caps, and barefeet are really the only things you shouldn't wear (yet, you will see people in shorts, esp on the first and last nights).

Woman/girls can wear capri pants, or cotton trousers, or a sundress, etc.

For the nights that were not formal, I wore black slacks and a dressy top/blouse and had a sun dress for one night. My husband wears dockers and a nice button up shirt.

Don't stress out about it. You will see people in ALL types of clothing, but I would feel out of place if I were to wear jeans and t/shirt to dinner.

I know you don't want to be "out of place", so know this--unless it's formal night, men don't need jackets! Most will be wearing polo/golf type shirts and nice slacks for all but the formal evening. Women do tend to dress a bit better than the men--(It's nice to turn heads!!!) so wear what makes you look good and you're comfortable in! Capris, slacks, skirt, dress--whatever you like!

Jeans are not forbidden, as many people here think they are, however most people do not wear jeans because they are too hot/heavy for the Caribbean. .

I would disagree with this. Most people do not wear jeans because it falls outside the suggested attire. Although they are not forbidden, Royal Caribbean does print on the daily compass the recommended dress and jeans are never among what they recommend people wear. And most people do not find jeans to be too hot/heave in the Caribbean. The evenings can be somewhat cool and the indoor areas of the ship are all air conditioned. I do wear jeans in the Caribbean at times, but would never wear them to the dining room because they are fall outside the realm of what is suggested attire. That said, some people do wear jeans to the dining room and people do not get turned away for this.

I would disagree with this. Most people do not wear jeans because it falls outside the suggested attire. Although they are not forbidden, Royal Caribbean does print on the daily compass the recommended dress and jeans are never among what they recommend people wear. And most people do not find jeans to be too hot/heave in the Caribbean. The evenings can be somewhat cool and the indoor areas of the ship are all air conditioned. I do wear jeans in the Caribbean at times, but would never wear them to the dining room because they are fall outside the realm of what is suggested attire. That said, some people do wear jeans to the dining room and people do not get turned away for this.

You're right that jeans are not on the suggested list of attire for non-formal nights, however they are also not on the list of items RCI requests are not worn. So, it's a gray area.

BTW - I don't advocate wearing jeans even though they are not specifically mentioned in the "dress code no-no's"

Just make sure that your clothes are too big when you leave home. They will be snug when you get home!!! :eek: Wear the tightest at the beginning or you may have to wear some twice. Sound like voice of experience?????:mad:

Thanks so much for clarifiying things for me/us..I was a little stressed about the clothing thing..I guess once we get this first cruise experience the "dress" issue will go away...

Thanks again to everyone for being so helpful! :D

Archived