Looking to Cruise for the first time

Dubdude007

I have a million and one questions about selecting a frist time cruise. I am looking for a crusie in late January/Feb 2008 (European and African destinations only). A few things about me: I am 30 years old, newly single (cruise seems a good way to escape the b*tch) and am thinking that I need a 7-10 days cruise to actually get into the experience v/s a 3-5 night cruise. I was looking at Eastern Mediteranian (Italy, Turkey, Egypt) or some combination of those countries or maybe Scandinavia too cold?). Can someone please recomend some good (moderately priced) cruise liners and any other information that you feel necessary. Would really appreciate it.

Since this is your 1st time, you really should be dealing with a knowledgable travel agent. They will be able to set you up with the perfect trip for you! Once you've done it, and know what you like, then that's the time to start doing this on your own. Go talk to a professional!!!!1

Cruises to Africa will be very expensive as at that time of year, only the luxury lines will cruise there plus cruises in that area are 14 days or longer. Choices in Jan or Feb in the Med will be very limited as the demand for cruises there in winter is VERY low. No cruises in the Baltic in winter as the ice issues in the seas prohibit cruise ships from going there. You will be limited to mostly European based cruise lines that cruise in that area in winter. Most cruisers aren't interested in cruising Europe in winter as they prefer warm weather destinations only. Find a local travel agent to find something for you. As I said, Europe in winter won't be an easy find.

Be prepared to spend a large amount of money if you are sailing solo. You might want to check with your firends and see if someone else is interested in going with you. Single cruisers can pay double the price of two people, so it might be something that you want to check into.

Also keep an eye on the travel section of your local paper as travel agencies will often have travel/cruise shows in January. it's a great way to pick up brochure and chat with the various cruiselines to see if one fits your requirements.

Charlie

Be prepared to spend a large amount of money if you are sailing solo. You might want to check with your firends and see if someone else is interested in going with you. Single cruisers can pay double the price of two people, so it might be something that you want to check into.

This seemed confusing/misleading to me. Cruise rates are generally quoted "per person, double occupancy." Solo cruisers generally pay double the published rate - in essence, they're paying for the second person in the room (who isn't there). Sometimes they get a deal - 125% or 150% or 175% the published rate - but not very often.

I also suggest for your first cruise you take a short one.

If you don't like cruising, you'll be stuck for the duration. 3 to 5 days will give you a good taste. On the other hand, If you don't like cruising (oddly some don't) 5 days will seem like a long week.

Archived