Nice things for crew

mlanz

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of items the crew members need/desire that are hard for them to get....I know in the past we have brought coloring books/crayons for housekeepers (for their kids) in Mexico, fishing tackle from states to Caribbean captains, etc., I've read some on board take donations to kids in Labadee (that's nice)....I am not trying to avoid tipping but bringing hard to get items can sometimes go along way.

I though of the same thing you did but I was told they do not have room in the quarters for any more than they already have. By giving them extra cash you are giving them an option to buy things they would like to have but can't afford to buy since most of them send their paychecks home.

Your thoughts of thinking about others show how high a character you have.

Hi,

I like to do gift cards ontop of the usual tip for those that go above and beyond. It's best to try and figure out where the crew like to go when they shop off the ship, but you can also mapquest to see if there is a local target or walmart near by. Also, a hand signed thank you card and or holiday card is also apreciative. Other ideas include: mini calendars, mini note pads, mini picture frames, key chains etc. Just keep it small as space is very limited for these folks. Remember it's the thought that counts. :)

Cash--let them buy what they want and need--or send it home, as most of them do! You know how small an inside cabin is--their's are smaller and they share with others! They don't have room for your trinkets and don't have the extra money to ship the trinkets your give them home! Give them money! That's what they work for! That's why they give you the great service--so you'll give them more MONEY!!!!! They need it, and they deserve it. I know folks like to be generous, but they want money--not things!

Hi,

I like to do gift cards ontop of the usual tip for those that go above and beyond. It's best to try and figure out where the crew like to go when they shop off the ship, but you can also mapquest to see if there is a local target or walmart near by. Also, a hand signed thank you card and or holiday card is also apreciative. Other ideas include: mini calendars, mini note pads, mini picture frames, key chains etc. Just keep it small as space is very limited for these folks. Remember it's the thought that counts. :)

This all sounds very nice and I am BY NO MEANS trying to be rude but money is still the best. By giving gift cards, the crew is forced to buy something rather than having the option of sending the money home. By giving them money, they can decide if they need a calendar etc.

A hand signed thank you with an extra tip is probably appreciated the most.:)

I bring junk food, YES JUNK FOOD! A big bag of m and m's or other such candy has always been happily consumed. It only takes up space in their cabin a short time:D If you watch the crew in port they head for a local supermarket for food items they can't get onboard. Last cruise i went on earlier this month i brought lots of the extra large Hershey choc bars and they were much appreciated. This is in addition to their suggested tips. I know they love potatoe chips and cheese puffs too

I read on here someone who gave out goodies bags with small candy bars in a little bag with the tip on top for room service. we had an inside last time and didnt use room service but everyone loved the bags with their tip. just a little bit of room and great smiles but i agree money is still the best!

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of items the crew members need/desire that are hard for them to get....I know in the past we have brought coloring books/crayons for housekeepers (for their kids) in Mexico, fishing tackle from states to Caribbean captains, etc., I've read some on board take donations to kids in Labadee (that's nice)....I am not trying to avoid tipping but bringing hard to get items can sometimes go along way.

I would suggest giving a little more $$$, rather than worrying what items are hard to get. The members of the crew have families, and much of what they make on each cruise is sent home. We cruised to Alaska on the Radiance in September, and one of the crew members told us that the ship allows them to wire $$$ home from the ship (in past cruises on other lines, the crew members had to go ashore and wire $$$ home from banks, post offices, etc.)

We are giving cash and hand signed cards, but someone brought up the idea of international calling cards. Is this something that the crew would want? If so, it doesn't take up space and would seem to be a nice little extra.

Where would you buy international calling cards at (I've never even bought a non-international one >_<) and what price range do they come it?

Thank you!

Cash is best. One crew member posted on the boards that calling cards were pretty useless as a lot of the crew don't have phones. I also remember reading that the crew throws the gifts away because they have no where to put it. So I would stick with cash.

I think that the best additional thing you can do for the crew is treat them like human beings. You don't have to be their best friend for the duration of the cruise, but I've seen too many people treat them like garbage. Smile, make eye contact, ask how they are today, that sort of thing.

And give them extra cash!

We are giving cash and hand signed cards, but someone brought up the idea of international calling cards. Is this something that the crew would want? If so, it doesn't take up space and would seem to be a nice little extra.

Where would you buy international calling cards at (I've never even bought a non-international one >_<) and what price range do they come it?

Thank you!

If they want them, they can buy them with Cash.

The gifts that some give may end up getting sold to someone else (that can actually use it) for a fraction of what you paid for it.

cash is the only way to go.

Don't get me started on $2 bills

I married to a fellow RCI crew member. Every week he would send money home to his family. Some a nd lots of them do have wives, or husbands back at home with kids they see every 6 months for 6- 8 weeks at a time. If you want to give them something extra. Give the Phone Cards or if you are sailing out of Miami a WallGreen's Gift Card or a gift card from Bayside.

Lexi

Even finding a store they can use the gift cards at doesn't insure they are able to get off the ship in that port. Most of the crew doesn't even get to leave the ship on a regular basis.

I say give cash and if they are really special, mention them by name in the cruise survey or recommend them for the commodore club.

I'm glad my boss gave me cash, uncle Sam got a bit too, for my Christmas bonus rather than a ham or gift card to Walmart.

Of course if I got a ham, I wouldn't have to share it with the government.

Don't get me started on the $2 bills or $1 coins either.

Archived