Sun Princess World Cruise Roundtrip - 2008

Phamer55

There's a 75-day (wouldn't that be nice) cruise on the Sun Princess that runs roundtrip out Sydney in July 2008. According to the most recent Princess press release, this cruise is being broken down into segments:

Meanwhile, Sun Princess offers a 28-day itinerary from Sydney to San Francisco departing on July 14, 2008 that visits Auckland, Dravuni Island, Apia (Western Samoa), Pago Pago, Rarotonga, Moorea, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Christmas Island, Honolulu, Maui and Hilo before arriving in San Francisco.

Sun Princess offers a chance to travel north to Alaska and to the Far East in one 23-day sailing from San Francisco to Beijing. After a dramatic departure under the Golden Gate Bridge, the ship calls at the Canadian ports of Victoria and Vancouver, then showcases Alaska will calls at Ketchikan, Juneau, Glacier Bay, and Kodiak. Russia is next, with a call at Petropavlovsk, followed by Yokohama (for Tokyo), Osaka (for Kyoto), Nagasaki, Pusan, and finally arrival in China at the port for Beijing. This sailing departs on August 10, 2008.

Although I'd dream of taking either of those cruises, what I'm really (realistically) interested in is the possibility of them also breaking up that 2nd 23-day cruise into a 3-day repo cruise, from SF to Vancouver. I think would be very cool to do a cruise like that in the middle of the summer, when the kids won't have to miss any school. It probably wouldn't happen, but Princess could do it they want. Interestingly, only the 75 day cruise appears on the Princess web site, not the partial-cruises talked about in the article.

There's a 75-day (wouldn't that be nice) cruise on the Sun Princess that runs roundtrip out Sydney in July 2008. According to the most recent Princess press release, this cruise is being broken down into segments:

Meanwhile, Sun Princess offers a 28-day itinerary from Sydney to San Francisco departing on July 14, 2008 that visits Auckland, Dravuni Island, Apia (Western Samoa), Pago Pago, Rarotonga, Moorea, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Christmas Island, Honolulu, Maui and Hilo before arriving in San Francisco.

Sun Princess offers a chance to travel north to Alaska and to the Far East in one 23-day sailing from San Francisco to Beijing. After a dramatic departure under the Golden Gate Bridge, the ship calls at the Canadian ports of Victoria and Vancouver, then showcases Alaska will calls at Ketchikan, Juneau, Glacier Bay, and Kodiak. Russia is next, with a call at Petropavlovsk, followed by Yokohama (for Tokyo), Osaka (for Kyoto), Nagasaki, Pusan, and finally arrival in China at the port for Beijing. This sailing departs on August 10, 2008.

Although I'd dream of taking either of those cruises, what I'm really (realistically) interested in is the possibility of them also breaking up that 2nd 23-day cruise into a 3-day repo cruise, from SF to Vancouver. I think would be very cool to do a cruise like that in the middle of the summer, when the kids won't have to miss any school. It probably wouldn't happen, but Princess could do it they want. Interestingly, only the 75 day cruise appears on the Princess web site, not the partial-cruises talked about in the article.

I had seen this press release about the month long cruise on the Sun but couldn't find the breakdown on the Searchlight part of princess.com so I can see how much that segment was (and some of the online TA sites -- I won't mention names, was just trying to see what the prices are -- don't list any Sydney to SF cruise).

Not that we would book that long of a cruise, but it does fit in the time frame that we can cruise as it's when school is out.

I also just tried a couple of online sites, and I can't find the segment cruises either. You'd think since the press release came out, they would be available to book. It seems that for Princess it takes a while for cruises to be bookable online even when they are available to book via the phone (or have your TA call). I don't know how they can find enough people to fill up the ship for a 75 day cruise!

Princess cruise brochure Dawn & Sun Princess 2008/2009 available in Australia has the following rates for segmented cruises. Prices are in Australian $ so you will have to convert. Currently AU$1= US$0.86.

Syd-Syd 75 nights from $15745,

Syd- San Fran 28 nights from $6445,

San Fran- Beijing 23 nights from $5045,

San Fran-Syd 47 nights from $10045.

It would be interesting to see prices that are released in the US and see if it is much cheaper or not? We think the cruise lines put a premium on our rates because we don't have much competition here, and cruising is still considered an unusual holiday. The numbers are increasing every year at a hugh rate so this is why Princess has put the Sun and Dawn down under. Can't wait for the other lines to join in the fun.

Hope this helps.

Mike & Ann

Archived