Tour Guide Recommendations

taegan

My wife and our 3 children would like to do Dunn's river falls and water tubing followed by lunch on the beach somewhere. We are an active family with 3 boys 13, 11, and 9. Looking for a tour guide to do a private tour with us. I would appreciate any recommendations for guides or place to eat. thanks

My wife and our 3 children would like to do Dunn's river falls and water tubing followed by lunch on the beach somewhere. We are an active family with 3 boys 13, 11, and 9. Looking for a tour guide to do a private tour with us. I would appreciate any recommendations for guides or place to eat. thanks

We used Yardie Tours while we were in Ocho Rios and was quite pleased with their service they are excellent.Local food are prepared on some of the beaches.

You can look them up at www.yardietours.com

We have just returned from the 12/16/07 sailing of the Mariner of the Seas which stopped in Ocho Rios on Wednesday, December 19. We used our favorite driver/guide/and wonderful Jamaican friend, Marva Shaw from http://www.knowjamaica.com. We were with her in July 06 and had a fabulous time with her. We had an even BETTER time last week. She took our family (wife, husband, and 11 yo son) to Dunns River Falls, a tour of the Enchanted Garden Falls and Aviary with Clarence the aviary/grounds keeper, lunch (not on the beach but I am sure she would accomodate your request easily) at a local jerk shack (very yummy), and then tubing on the White River. We also met her son Javia who has recently joined her business along with several other delightful guides and drivers who work with Marva. She has a brand new van which is very comfortable. She is also very protective of her guests. You can leave all of your gear (including cameras, purse, etc...) in her van and she will guard it like a hawk. At Dunns River Falls, I stayed in her van and knit while my dh and ds climbed the Falls. It was an extremely busy day at DRF. The bus/van/JUTA taxi carpark was packed. Lots of other drivers and guides came over to speak to Marva, Javia, and me. Marva is very well-respected among her peers. I was also the subject of fascination because the locals were used to crocheting but not knitting. Everyone wanted to see what I was doing and making (a turquoise boa scarf for Marva). As before, we had a wonderful time river tubing. I could do that for hours. Your family will love it. It is not cheap ($20 USD each plus a tip for your river guide who had to work very hard when dh fell out of the tube but all was fine thanks to Sean's quick work) but well worth it.

I hope this helps! Have a great trip! I will post our pictures shortly but haven't had time to upload them to webshots.

We were on the Coral November 20-30, 2007 and used Wentworth. It was myself, DH and 12 year old DD. We had a change in our schedule having us arrive a day earlier that planned. I quickly e-mailed him the change and hoped that he received it. He did at was waiting for us as we got off the Coral.

He picked us up in a new, clean, air conditioned van and asked us if we had decided what we wanted to do as I had been uncertain. He took us to Dunns falls first to beat the crowds of the scheduled cruise tours. It was very nice as there very so few that we actually had to wait for some additional people before they would take us up the first. What a blast. We were able to leave our stuff safety in his van the entire day.

He then proceeded to take us everywhere we wanted, making suggestions along the way. I wanted to do some shopping and he also took us to several places that I know where much cheaper in price. He also seemed to be very well respected and known as everyone called out his name.

He was a very personable person and I would highly recommend him. We had a blast in Jamaica and would use him again.

You can reach him at: http://wentworthtours.com/

Another Thumbs up for Marva Shaw. Dbf and I spent the day with her on the 10th December and she really is wonderful! I agree with everything Barva said.

We went to Dunns River falls, river tubing and then she took us to a restaurant where the 'locals' go for Jerk chicken and Red Stripe beer ($1 a bottle!). Wow this was so good! We had another couple on our tour and they wanted to go shopping so she took us to some shops and then dropped us off at the port.

Another plus is that we didn't get any hassle from the locals, which other people seem to comment on. The sellers see you're with a private guide and just nod.

We were charged $60 each for the day and that included entrance to everything (tips and food were extra). Seeing as admission to river tubing and dunns river falls is $35, we thought it was definately worth the extra $25. She customises each tour so its worth asking for a quote.

Wow, Barva....just reading your post brought back such great memories of our day with Marva & Javia. My family of 4 all felt Jamaica was our favorite stop because of our tourguides!!! The jerk lunch was wonderful, but I think it was even better eating it on the deserted Reggae Beach!!! That was paradise to me....We all hope to return one day & see Marva & Javia again. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone going to Jamaica.

Another Thumbs up for Marva Shaw. Dbf and I spent the day with her on the 10th December and she really is wonderful! I agree with everything Barva said.

We went to Dunns River falls, river tubing and then she took us to a restaurant where the 'locals' go for Jerk chicken and Red Stripe beer ($1 a bottle!). Wow this was so good! We had another couple on our tour and they wanted to go shopping so she took us to some shops and then dropped us off at the port.

Another plus is that we didn't get any hassle from the locals, which other people seem to comment on. The sellers see you're with a private guide and just nod.

We were charged $60 each for the day and that included entrance to everything (tips and food were extra). Seeing as admission to river tubing and dunns river falls is $35, we thought it was definately worth the extra $25. She customises each tour so its worth asking for a quote.

did she meet you in Montego Bay? or does she only tour from Ocho Rios?

thanks

Marva Shaw and her son, Javia, were the best tour guides we have ever had. She was able to book us a tour at another port, when at the last minute, the captain changed our port from Ocho to Mobay. I could not believe what fantastic service! As for her son, Javia, let's just say I have fallen in love with a Jamaican man!!!! He was such a great kid and we have a wonderful day with him when he was on GC. He has now gone back to help his mother run the tours. You will not be disappointed and they will show you a great time.

We were recently on the Mariner of the Seas in Jamaica. We booked our excursion with Marva Shaw at www.knowjamaica.com. I am telling you now you can't beat the service they provide. From the time you step off the boat until the time you get back on you can tell that you are Marva's #1 priority. Your good time and safety is thier number one concern. I would send my kids with her alone without even having a second thought. They are the best in Jamaica IMHO.:D

Hi,

I am taking my family with Phil Lafayette in May. We have my wife, my parents, and three kids aged 8, 9, and 11. We have seen been in Ocho before nad were not impressed! The Falls were ok, but we want to see something besides the crowded Dunn Falls. I have never been with Phil.

Any suggestions. We are thinking about tubing, ect.

Thanks

We have used a great private tour guide (as well as our friends) several times. His name is Walter Aarons and his website is http://www.walteraaronstours.com. He is the nicest guy and you feel so safe with him. He will stay with you everywhere you want to go. We all love him to death and would recommend him to anyone. He took us on a tour of a working plantation that was one of our favorite excursions of all time. Have fun in Jamaica and if you talk to Walter tell him his friend in Kansas says Hi.

Linda

We just returned from the Carnival Imagination this week and did an excursion with Mark Morris at Mark's Tours. I've been on 3 cruises and always get out in each port. This was by far the best experience ever on a shore excursion. Mark was extremely accomodating and really enjoyed sharing his knowledge of the area. I will be posting a review on these boards but highly recommend him.

We used Marva Shaw in July and are going to use her again this May! We loved her plus she is a self employed woman which appeals to me as I am one too! Here is a picture of us with her at Reggae Beach. (Click to enlarge). You can find her at knowjamaica.com.

414547147_MarvaShaw.jpg.809e37d1a373c1d6e6f5397c66958324.jpg

We just got back from a tour last week with Marva's company and I agree that they are the BEST ever!

I totally screwed up and had her booked for the wrong day and date. We didn't disover this until the day before, while we were on the ship and in the middle of the Gulf! After my heart attack, we emailed her to see if it could be worked out.

Lo and behold when we arrived at port, there was a Marva rep (Maxine) with a sign, who spent the day with us and the driver, Javier.

They both were absolutely PERFECT and we couldn't have had a better day. I highly recommend Marva's company!

Darlene

We just booked the tubing excursion on Mark's Tours for our March sailing. Have not got a confirmation yet, though. Will post how it goes when we get back! (Had to go with the Canuck's review - we Yooper's are like brother's across the big lake)...:p

Another vote for Marva!!!

My DH and I used her services last February. After hearing so many negative things about Jamaica we really wanted to have a tour guide. We are so fortunate that we found Marva. At the time, there were only a handful of recommendations on CC about her. I'm so pleased to see how many more people have used her services since I've used them. This only suggests to me that our great experience is an ongoing service with Marva and her son. :) Marva is a wonderful woman who I look forward to meeting again. I hope you are able to book one of her tours - you won't regret it!!! :D

***Click on the link in my signature to read my review - scroll to the Jamaica section. Our trip details are listed there - including eating good Jamaicaan food. Yummy!***

Hey Garp..... I was the other one that highly recommended Mark. You may be interested in knowing I am a lifelong Yooper that graduated from MQT where I am guessing you are from. Now you know for sure that Mark is the best choice since a Canuck & a Yooper both recommend him!

Am considering one of the many guides recommended on this site, but also interested in Bamboo Beach Club because of the entertainment that is highly recommended there. Has anyone been to the Bamboo Beach Club during Spring Break (March 15-20th for us), and if so, was it appropriate for a teen girl? I don't want her exposed to a large crowd of overly drunken people. She is a conservative girl and would not enjoy this, but from what I hear about the entertainment, this is something she would like. Am trying to figure out a way to see the beauty of Jamaica away from the cruise port but also see some local dancing/singing.

Our family just got back from a cruise and used Mark Morris' services in Ochos Rios. I would HIGHLY recommend him. I got his name from Cruise Critic and the positivies comments he had previously received and I wasn't disappointed.

We were a party of 9, including my husband and myself, 4 young adults & 1 teenage boy plus my parents. We booked the Dunns River Falls climb and then tubing down the river. In between Mark took us on a short tour and then to lunch and the market after. Both activities were way beyond what we had anticipated.

The service was amazing. He was training a very sweet lady that day and she was also very attentive. We felt totally safe all day and didn't have to worry about a thing. Mark was always 1 step ahead and arranging everything for us, including taking special care of my parents.

Mark is a native, loves his island and is a very well spoken man. He was very easy to understand and all the kids (young adults) found his facts about Jamaica very interesting. It was a fun and informative day!!

We highly recomend Mark's services!!!

We (2 adults, 2 college age daughters) also returned from a recent cruise and toured with Mark Morris for the Dunn's River and tubing trip. Mark was outstanding. We felt safe the entire time, learned a lot about Jamaica, but most of all had a lot of fun. On the way back to the ship my family agreed that we will return to Jamaica and we will see Mark again.

As far as the shopping, there were stores where the salespeople were not overly pushy and then a open air market across the street where I did feel a bit overwhelmed. I just went back to the stores. Mark's assistant did offer to help us shop too.

Archived