air and hotel packages?

momonmeds

Hi, we just got back from our very first cruise on RC to Mexico, and now are beginning the planning stages for our next cruise -- Alaska. Is it better to book airfare and hotel packages with the cruiseline, or to just do it independently? We'll probably do a 7 day southbound from Seward, but not sure yet. Any advice is welcome, cc was invaluable in planning our other cruise, so I'm sure you will be again!

Thanks!!

I have seen nothing but high cost options with cruiseline booked hotels, because they usually are per person rates. Always, compare with direct bookings. The cruiseline will include the transfers BUT, if looking at hotels in Vancouver/Anchorage- it's not that much value.

As for cruiseair- same thing, compare, but most often in Alaska, you can do better on your own.

With a one way cruise- do realize Seward is a GEM, that most people miss. Consider taking advantage of the fantastic touring options available and spending at least a day, or more. Well worthwhile.

Also with one ways, since it is time consuming and costly to get there, again, consider taking advantage of being there and add another week for some fantastic interior Alaska touring. Very very simple to go on your own. IF you want to only consider cruisetours- DO YOUR HOMEWORK, many people are not aware of what they are purchasing and make very "costly" mistakes. Descriptions are vague.

This board's forte is accurate trip planning for independent Alaska visitors, a fantastic resource in one place, if you care to use it.

I agree with BQ from my own experience. Booking directly is cheaper than through cruiseline. But make sure you check several fair comparison sites. Also check the airline sites as well since they may have sales that are not available on travel booking sites.

Archived