Adieu Royal Caribbean?

pre4rep

Diamond plus are supposed to get their preferrence in dining room seating. :eek: so not getting yours is wrong and plain old false advertising. I couldn't paste but it is clear in the benefit section of the C and A D+ get preferred seating.

I agree with the lack of preference in the MDR, that was wrong. However, there isn't any mention of special services from the LA unless I missed something :confused:

###

I don't understand why people can't post their complaints without getting sarcastic answers.

I've enjoyed my Royal Caribbean cruises, but I'm not "stuck" with one cruise line where I'll defend it to the death. There are things about each line I've sailed on that I've liked and things about each that I haven't been so fond of.

Now, if I could figure out a way to get all my favorite things together in one line, that'd be great.

Until then, I'll go on choosing cruises from many lines and enjoying them all.

I agree 100%! Well said! People should be able to give an honest account of their experiences and preferences without the sarcasm.

I also agree that I enjoy RCCL and also enjoy what other cruise lines have to offer.

I don't get this defense of RCCL (or anyother cruise line or product for that matter) without the allowance for honest critique.

The perfect cruise? One with me on it. But I tend to have fun in just a dark room with a wad of chewing gum.:cool:

LMAO - I almost spit out my drink reading this. I am the same way, I try to have fun no matter what and if the food is mediocre then that just means I won't gain 20 pounds on the cruise, LOL.

I don't understand why people can't post their complaints without getting sarcastic answers.

Well said. I haven't been on these boards all that long but it definitely seems to be getting more sarcastic, hostile, etc, etc. Whatever happened to trying to help our fellow cruisers when they encounter problems (or even perceived problems).

Now I am very very very loyal to my wife... Does that mean I can never express a complaint or criticism of her? She knows she is not perfect and I know that I am not perfect. Do I trash her when she has a complaint about me? NO! (usually because she is right and I will lose anyways!!) :D Seriously, as the saying goes... if you can't say something helpful don't say anything! (or something like that)

Just off the Brilliance transatlantic. We were in an annex to the dining room right by the door (exit). The servers were ok. The waiter was not at all friendly but techincally he did his job. The assistant waiter was a bit better. The food was awful. "Shoulder steak" twice on the menu and always available top sirloin. The chicken in the buffet was almost always dark meat. I am a bit picky. My DH is not but said his food was either tasteless or just plain bad. We sailed on the Jewel in '04 and the food was fine. We are booked on the March 30th Jewel transatlantic and are very aprehensive that the food will be the same. We gave up on the dining room but even the Windjammer was getting bad at the end. Peas and carrots and Zuchini either covered with mashed potatos (vegetarian shepherd's pie) or with cheese daily. I don't expect the food to be great. Just fair to good with variety. Our last three cruises were with Celebrity and the food was always good to very good. We ate in Chops one night and the food was wonderful. I told the head waiter on the way out that I wished the dining room food was half as good. He said they know it is a problem and are starting something new on the Brilliance in January and then it is supposed to apply to the other ships. I would not mind paying more as I think RCCL has really deteriorated.

Joyce

I agree 100%! Well said! People should be able to give an honest account of their experiences and preferences without the sarcasm.

I also agree that I enjoy RCCL and also enjoy what other cruise lines have to offer.

I don't get this defense of RCCL (or anyother cruise line or product for that matter) without the allowance for honest critique.

I'm glad you said this. I was going to say something along these lines but I couldn't find the words at the time. Here you have a loyal RCI customer who has sailed with them 60 times and his post here is greeted with what to me are juvenile, hostile, and downright cruel responses. Mostly by the usual suspects. And why, so they can sound cute and witty at the ops expense?.

And what does it say to people who come to this site for the first time looking for answers to their questions. I think I'd be asking myself, do I really want to be cruising with such nasty and obnoxious people who treat their fellow cruisers like this?.

Edit: Having said that let me add that I've been on 3 RCI cruises in the last 2 years and I have not one complaint about them. I've had a marvelous time on all of them and I think I received a good value for my money. I will be going on my 4th in March.

I've enjoyed my Royal Caribbean cruises, but I'm not "stuck" with one cruise line where I'll defend it to the death. There are things about each line I've sailed on that I've liked and things about each that I haven't been so fond of.

Now, if I could figure out a way to get all my favorite things together in one line, that'd be great.

Until then, I'll go on choosing cruises from many lines and enjoying them all.

Thank You for saying that, this board is getting harder and harder to read for the cheerleaders "flaming" those who want to post their experiences. Whether those experiences are good or bad

It is possible that the OP was not aware of the fact that a call to C&A would have gotten the table that they wanted.

After reaching D+, a letter is sent out to those that have reached that level, listing all of the benefits and "Requests for preferred seating in main dining room" is clearly stated under Cruise Planning Benefits.

Are you willing to pay more for that better food? The prices for cruising have stayed at about the same price for the last five years while everything else has risen in price. If folks want higher quality then be prepared to pay more for it but most will not. They expect to cruise for fifty bucks a day and receive Ritz Carlton quality. Ain't gonna happen on a mass market line.

Isn't that what the specialty restaurants are for? Paying more for better food.

I would expect good food in the DR and very good food at the specialty restaurants. I had no complaints with the quality of Carnival's food. Looking forward to finding out about RCCL's food myself in Jan on the Mariner. With all I have read lately though I am not setting my expectations that high so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. It is not that big a thing to me.

High on my wish list is being around good people, have a decent cabin, calm seas, and since I cannot drink much I would like good drinks.

We do need to respect other's opinions. Just because they vary from our own does not make them automatically worthless.

Laura

We sail on different cruiselines each year because we like variety. I like seeing different entertainment and trying different restaurants on ships. I don't like assigned dining, so we always choose RCI ships with specialty restaurants.

I do like that there is hot food on the room service menu on RCI but wish the balcony had dining tables like Princess instead of low coffee tables. I always bring my collapsable table on RCI. I am hoping the rumor that RCI is trying anytime dining on one floor of the dining room starting on their winter cruises because that could make a big difference for us.

I wish I could find a ship that has everything we love on each cruiseline. Then I'd have nothing to complain about. Until then, we'll just keep cruising different cruiselines each year.

We have just returned from two cruises, 6 nights on the Jewel and 10 nights on the Emerald Princess, We have 60 cruises with R.C.I. and 7 with Princess.

The table we requested a table of 6 or 8 (a diamond plus benefit)was not given to us ,the Maitre, d said shore side services handles that. concierge lounge over crowded you had to stand in a line for drinks.Food in the dining room mediocre at best.wait staff efficent but over worked,Entertainment average. yes i have seen many acts repeatedly, but we were not alone in leaving early.Take a nap on deck, imposible with loud solicitation of drinks everywhere.The ship was clean and well maintained.If I had to compare R.C.I.to a hotel it would be a Holiday Inn! Diamond plus ment nothing to the loyalty Ambassador she was to busy selling future cruises.

We were very pleased with Princess, better variety and food quality.less noise with announcements, Great variety in entertainment.overall just a better experience. We are allways asked what is your favorite cruise line.It use to be Royal Caribbean. Please return to the wonderfull company you once were,careing about your most loyal passengers.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your HONEST opinion! :)

It is possible that the OP was not aware of the fact that a call to C&A would have gotten the table that they wanted.

After reaching D+, a letter is sent out to those that have reached that level, listing all of the benefits and "Requests for preferred seating in main dining room" is clearly stated under Cruise Planning Benefits.

What exactly does that mean? I've always assumed it meant main vs. late seating. If it means you can sit at a table with x number of seats at what ever seating you want, I guess my assumption as been wrong all along.

Sheesh!!!!! Uhhhhh if I had taken 60 cruises on RC I would expect for an announcement to be made by the Cruise Director telling the whole ship we were there and welcoming us on! Why do the cheerleaders insist on being so rude to people who do not post a perfect review of RC? And its the same people over and over who do it. I think with 60 cruises they have enough experience to post a review, good or bad. Honestly if I saw some of you on my roll call I would change cruises.

Sheesh!!!!! Uhhhhh if I had taken 60 cruises on RC I would expect for an announcement to be made by the Cruise Director telling the whole ship we were there and welcoming us on! Why do the cheerleaders insist on being so rude to people who do not post a perfect review of RC? And its the same people over and over who do it. I think with 60 cruises they have enough experience to post a review, good or bad. Honestly if I saw some of you on my roll call I would change cruises.

Keep it up I might put you on my buddy list.

You keep saying that like it is a law. It does not always work.

Just off the Brill TA and was invited to dine with another couple (D+.) He requested a table of 6, no more than 8, explaining that anything larger he can not hear conversations. Our table, which would seat 11 was not exactly it.

Last year on Jewel TA, 6 of us requested a table, main level. You had 3 D+s, 1 D and not sure about 3rd couple. We called C&A, we had our ressies crossed referenced. As I was on the prior cruise, I checked at the end of the week. One couple was on second level of DR, another was at another table, main level, and my friend and I were separated.

Between point A & B, the messages are not being delivered.

We just returned from 15 days on the Brilliance of the Seas (we are mere Diamond members) and would have to agree with much of what is said by the OP. 2 or our next three cruises (over the next few months) are with Princess and 1 is with Azamara. To be fair, the OP should have mentioned that there will be no queues (or free drinks) in the concierge lounges on Princess...because Princess does not have Concierge Lounges. We will certainly cruise with RCI again, when they have an itinerary that is of some interest (most RCI cruises are too short and the itineraries rarely change) and the price of the cruise is in line with a 3 star budget line. As to the negative comment somebody posted about Carnival, we have only been on 3 Carnival cruises, but the food and entertainment on those cruises was generally superior to what we experienced on the Brilliance. We have stuck with RCI over the years as the quality went up and down like a yoyo, and we hope that we just happened to catch a low point on the cycle. However, budget cuts in staffing (fewer cabin stewards, fewer waiters, no wine stewards), current and future cuts in entertainment budgets, downgrading of the use of premium food products (no lobster on our cruise, smaller shrimp, no dessert souffles, very little veal, etc.) have turned RCI into somthing akin to a budget cruise line. On the positive side, we love the new bedding, the staff continues to work hard, the ships are immaculate, and the drinks in the concierge lounge help soften the negative blows! Oh, by the way, the OPs 60+ cruises would not even been mentioned on our most recent Brilliance Cruise. The winner of the prize was a lady who was on her 107th RCI cruise!

Hank

Hank

You want great class..........cruise Crystal! You want wonderful food.....cruise Silversea........or Crystal......or Radisson.

Want the best bang for your buck..............cruise RCCL!!

Sorry everyone......the cruise experience has changed with the times, and, although.....I don't think it is as good today.......it's still the best nights out.......that you can find anywhere!!

We don't have 60 cruises with RCCL...........but at 33, we do know the product...and continue to endorse it.

The interesting thing about cruising.......as the cruiselines have had a decrease in passenger service........the quality of passengers have had an equal (unfortunately) decline.

T-shirts at formal night....well I just don't want to start in on anyone.......but cruising used to be elegant.........and so did the food.

Rick

Agree with the OP.

RCCL's food hasn't been what it used to be, even compared to just a few years back. They've "dumbdowned" the menu to save $$$. The buffet has also taken a hit.

Whether you're diamond or just gold, like me shouldn't matter. RCCL needs to start paying a bit more attention to keeping up the quality of the product and less about getting as many people on board a ship as possible to increase bottom line. I'm not saying the food on board was bad, just ok and cheapened compared to previously...and definately an obvious move by RCCL to save money.

That doesn't mean RCCL is a bad product, but RCCL needs to take heed otherwise they will lose loyal customers.

I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing an opinion that may not be favorable to RCCL and as long as people accept the changes without question, RCCL will continue to increase revenue by cheapening the product.

If your writing in this forum, don't waste your time. If a member of your family, or friends, etc. does something to bother you don't you speak up? Royal Caribbean will keep losing passengers because too many prefer to rationalize their actions or flame you rather than to consider your feelings. :(

Agree with the OP.

RCCL's food hasn't been what it used to be, even compared to just a few years back. They've "dumbdowned" the menu to save $$$. The buffet has also taken a hit.

Whether you're diamond or just gold, like me shouldn't matter. RCCL needs to start paying a bit more attention to keeping up the quality of the product and less about getting as many people on board a ship as possible to increase bottom line. I'm not saying the food on board was bad, just ok and cheapened compared to previously...and definately an obvious move by RCCL to save money.

That doesn't mean RCCL is a bad product, but RCCL needs to take heed otherwise they will lose loyal customers.

I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing an opinion that may not be favorable to RCCL and as long as people accept the changes without question, RCCL will continue to increase revenue by cheapening the product.

The route RCCL is heading with building more and more mega ships they will continue and actually have to only worry about getting as many people onboard as possible. Everything else will hurt their economics and make for unhappy stockholders. Don´t get me wronlg I´m not saying they shouldn´t keep up the quality, but your comment about keeping the quality instead of trying to get as many people on the ship as they can is wrong and won´t happen.

And yes RCCL will continue to increas revenue, again they have to, that´s their primary goal and they need to do everything that gains more money for the company and the stockholders.

They are in business to make the max possible revenue. Pleasing their customers is just a method to gain revenue. The cruise market is still growing and the amount of people that never put foot on a ship is still much larger than those "few" people that are regular cruisers already. So at this point the cruise lines don´t really have to care about loosing a few customers in result of the changes as they can get more newbies into cruising than customers they loose.

Now on another note about the decline in food quality. My observation has been a different one. Maybe my observation was a single occurance and not the trend however on my last cruise (Rhapsody in Sept.) we had a mix of the old menues and some new ones. Well the old menues we had - nothing surprising, but not bad at all it was good prepared and just what I expected. Now for the new menues we got I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and I thought they were quite good and definitely not a downgrade. I don´t know if these were some special menues for our 16 night cruise or some of the new menues they will bring out fleetwide, but if they are the new menues then IMHO it´s not a downgrade.

Archived