Thrift Store Formal Night Attire!!!

Rouge Wave

I travel to San Antonio quite a bit on business. Could you share your stores with me? I love getting a good bargain! My favorite store was the lost luggage store in Alabama! Wow! They had everything!!

On San Antonio Restaurants, I agree with the poster about Dick's. It is more raunchy than ever. We went one night (a group of people who work together) thinking all in our party understood the concept....rude waiters, sexual innuendos, etc, but one of our tablemates got so upset with the waiter, she walked out!

On another note, my family's favorite restaurant for many, many years, is Casa Rio. And, you can still eat and have a drink for under $15 at lunch. HUGE Portions, really good, food!

Enjoy!

First off when I suggested Dicks Last resort for some reason I was thinking her son was in college because of the Penn State/A&M game this weekend in the alamodome....then I re read....and maybe Dicks isnt the best place for youth...so sorry about that...lol...

The one good thrift store is "Too Good to be Threw" and I will have to look up the other one. There is also a mens Too Good to be Threw. My boss got an awesome for a Debutante Ball our sons were in and it was cheap!

I have heard of the lost luggage store in Alabama and would love to go.

If I can help with anything else let me know!

I will try the Tex Mex you suggested. We have a Dicks Last Resort in Boston so it would be old hat.

We are flying into Austin and staying at the Watermark Hotel on the River Walk in San Antonio.

Thanks for the suggestions !;)

I am so sorry for recommending Dicks...I was thinking your son was playing in the Penn/A&M game this weekend in the Alamodome...where is my brain?....lol..but no Dicks is not for the young kids...sorry again!

Theres an awesome BBQ place in between Austin and San Antonio that called the Salt Lick and in New Braunfels where I live we have Granzins which is pretty dang good to.

I am so sorry for recommending Dicks...I was thinking your son was playing in the Penn/A&M game this weekend in the Alamodome...where is my brain?....lol..but no Dicks is not for the young kids...sorry again!

Theres an awesome BBQ place in between Austin and San Antonio that called the Salt Lick and in New Braunfels where I live we have Granzins which is pretty dang good to.

I came back to peek and see if they visited the SaltLick!! I LOVE that place!! I always bring back extra sauce for my BBQ. YUMMY!!!

Really, with all the uproar of jeans in the dining room, it occurred to me, I could wear plaid trousers with a tweed jacket and a checkered tie and a lime green shirt and meet all the requirements of the dress code on most nights. (On most any cruise ship/line) On formal night I could buy a dark coloured (black, dark blue) leisure suit from a thrift store with white patten leather shoes and a white belt and a shiny polyester shirt with a clip on tie and meet all the requirements of formal dress attire. (again on most, if not all cruise ship/ lines)

Makes the whining about nice jeans in the dining room on a casual night look rather silly.

I smell a troll. This person has no interest in actually buying and wearing this stuff. It is bait being laid for yeat another discussion about dining room etiquette...laying bait AKA trolling.

I had a tux tailor made in Singapore in 2002, wore it on a cruise later that year, and to another couple of events the following year. It was a classic cut and cost around $400. In 2006, after losing 60 lbs I gave it to a thrift store, someone got a bargain. Also, where do you think all those rental tuxes end up? That's right at the thrift stores. Look for a nice fit, get it cleaned and you'll be fine.

Really, with all the uproar of jeans in the dining room, it occurred to me, I could wear plaid trousers with a tweed jacket and a checkered tie and a lime green shirt and meet all the requirements of the dress code on most nights. (On most any cruise ship/line) On formal night I could buy a dark coloured (black, dark blue) leisure suit from a thrift store with white patten leather shoes and a white belt and a shiny polyester shirt with a clip on tie and meet all the requirements of formal dress attire. (again on most, if not all cruise ship/ lines)

Makes the whining about nice jeans in the dining room on a casual night look rather silly.

I've never really seen what all the fuss was about either. I have NEVER paid attention to what anyone else was wearing. I was only concerned about having a good time with MY family and how quickly my food was going to coming out. LOL I mean why are people so concerned about what others are wearing? It's supposed to be a vacation, a time for fun, relaxation, and reflection (if that's your thing).

If you feel like dressing up and that's your thing, GREAT. But don't judge another person because s/he wore jeans in a dining room. Also you never know another persons situation. Maybe their luggage was lost and all they had to wear was jeans for the duration of the vacation or maybe they don't own a suit or maybe they just don't like wearing suits/slacks/tuxedos. Whatever, I'm just playing devils advocate. If the waitstaff let them in with the jeans on it must not be that big of a deal. JMHO :)

I've never really seen what all the fuss was about either. I have NEVER paid attention to what anyone else was wearing. I was only concerned about having a good time with MY family and how quickly my food was going to coming out. LOL I mean why are people so concerned about what others are wearing? It's supposed to be a vacation, a time for fun, relaxation, and reflection (if that's your thing).

If you feel like dressing up and that's your thing, GREAT. But don't judge another person because s/he wore jeans in a dining room. Also you never know another persons situation. Maybe their luggage was lost and all they had to wear was jeans for the duration of the vacation or maybe they don't own a suit or maybe they just don't like wearing suits/slacks/tuxedos. Whatever, I'm just playing devils advocate. If the waitstaff let them in with the jeans on it must not be that big of a deal. JMHO :)

"Oh Honey, put the popcorn on. It looks like the weekly thread about Carnivals dress codes is beginning".

Congrats Rouge Wave...your trolling message starting this thread paid off.

For those who cruise fairly often the thrift store is a great idea. I was looking at our past cruise pictures and noticed hubby had the same suit on the last 2 cruises. Ahhhhh!! We always change out the shirt and tie but maybe its time for a new one. I get good deals at Ross, TJ Max and Marshalls so get a new dress for every cruise. Burlington Coat Factory is a great place for mens suits.

My cousin bought a beautiful, hardly worn, deep blue beaded long formal for our cruise in 2005. From the label inside the dress we know that the original owner must have paid $500.00 easily for it. Cuz paid $25.00. She also bought her husband a black tuxedo for $20.00 and her sister-in-law's formal was bought for $30.00. Every one of them looked looked like a million dollars.

So I say GO FOR IT! The rich and powerful love to donate to hardly worn clothes to places like Good-Will. It makes them feel good and it makes some of us feel good too that we not only got a good bargain but with the hundred of dollars we saved, on a formal we will only wear once, we were able to upgrade from a balcony room to a grand suite :o .

What a deal. I have never had the patients to look in those stores...wish I did. I probably could have save myself lots of money. No one will even have a clue and you will look as nice as everyone else. Knock them dead and enjoy your cruise.

Yep. It was only a matter of time before someone swallowed that bait.:rolleyes:

I found a gown for formal night for the low low price of $12.99 :D at the Salvation Army and I am having it dry cleaned for $3.50. What a bargain...until I had to buy and strapless bra for $30.00 :( I don't care it is still a bargain. My cruise has two formal nights and on the second I am going to wear the dress I was married in. It is nice cream colored dress.

I to buy my formal dresses at goodwill, I always end up with to many dresses (because I start looking the day after I book the cruise) and will dress up more than the one formal night. I work with kids 5 days a week, I can't wait to dress up!!!!! The little kids I care for say I look like a "princess" hehehe!

Amy

+Another Dana Buchman..2 pc long jacket/dress, sheer, small leopard print..and today Bealls Dept Store had tapestry jackets, as well as other lovely holiday attire..70% off. Steinmart had Spenser Leslie knockoff..42$, when I had the one still warm from my Dillards 50% off, $65, in my hands..it goes back t'mro. And silk evening pants for $17.and ,lonng blk velvet pants for $12.. I was looking for another SL top to go with the smashing red coral beads n ers from Grand Caymans "Everythings $20 Store"..the freshwater pearls with huge blk onyx clasp wil match nicely with the tap jacket...I have many slinky knits, and Chicos from secodary market stores. Hubby bought me a heavy duty "Z" Rack for all my cruisin clothes..it arrived today, and not a minute too soon!..now gotta fill it up, and recycle

fron Dillards

You all must have some pretty cruddy thrift stores in your area. There are clothes at my thrift store that I couldn't afford to buy "new" at their regular price. I've gotten new (tags on) designer dresses (latest, a Banana Republic dress with a $120 tag on it for $7.99).

I love the thrift store, and if I found something nice there, I wouldn't hesitate to wear it on a cruise. :)

I can remember when my daughter was little and our budget was tight I loved to go and get the cute little dresses-you know-some kid's Easter dress that they wore once.

We would also go to garage sales in upscale neighborhoods and got great stuff-now I am just glad I don't have to shop those places but I still occasionially do and have found things I liked. I just rarely do that anymore because I no longer need to. but there is nothing wrong with it.

A really savvy shopper will do this simply so they can spurge at times on other items they bought in the stores with the money they saved on things they bought at the garage sale.

For EX. your clothing budget is X amount of dollars-you see a leather blazer that is pretty much your budegt for 6 months-so you decide to wear last year's clothes and only buy a few things on clearance or if you get a deal - or at a place like a thrift store/consigment shop etc. That way you can afford the blazer-there is nothing wrong with that.

Hey, being savvy in your shopping is what keeps you from being the "average American" with $10,000 plus in credit card debt!

Okay, okay, I am officially sucked (or suckered) into the ongoing Carnival dress code discussion.

Are teens (17/18) wearing jeans in the dining room on casual nights? I'm talking jeans with a nice collared shirt (guys) or blouse (girls).

If not, we've got some shopping to do. :rolleyes:

Okay, okay, I am officially sucked (or suckered) into the ongoing Carnival dress code discussion.

Are teens (17/18) wearing jeans in the dining room on casual nights? I'm talking jeans with a nice collared shirt (guys) or blouse (girls).

If not, we've got some shopping to do. :rolleyes:

I haven't been on Carnival in alsmot 4 years but I understand because of PAX and Carnival's customer base they have relaxed their "no jeans" rule.

I think your sons will be fine and I would not mind them being my tablemates in what you describe-as long as they don't have those baggy jeans on that they must keep their hands in their pockets to keep them from falling off-just have your sons leave THOSE at home! LOL!

Carnival also is a very good line for that age group, RCI may offer more athletic type stuff-but kids love Carnival.

Bought our bathing suits too at thrift stores.

I love thrift and consignment stores - but I draw the line at bathing suits, underwear and other items that are ummm..... more intimately touching.

Archived