Dream "Owners Suite" from Boston or Dawn "Mini Suite" from NY to Bermuda?

Doughboy53

Hi NCL folks,

We are new to NCL, but have been on RCI twice before. We cruised on the Liberty of the Seas in the Summer of 2007 and the Sun Viking in the Summer of 1989. We are 2 active adults and we have a 12 year old daughter and a 9 year old son. We live in CT, so we are basically in the middle of Boston and New York.

Since RCI only has 5 day trips this year and we like 7 days, we are forced to try NCL. Also, these are the lowest category of rooms available, that include a BALCONY, for the week we are vacationing.

What do you think is the better choice Dawn Mini Suite or Dream Owners Suite, and why?

The Dream includes the following details:

12.5 more hours in Bermuda

docks in St. George

room has 42 square feet more space

balcony has 11 square feet more space

a separate bedroom

a walk-in closet/pullman

a stocked bar (3 bottles)

a Butler

50,764 tons (smaller ship)

754 feet long and 94 beam

a Conceirge

The Dawn includes the following details:

docks in King's Warf

90,000 tons

965 feet long and 105 beam

$1,639.80 less money

Thanks for your help!

Doughboy 53

You may also want to consider the ship itself. What are the features on the ship that interest you.

We are on the Dawn in June to Bermuda, but we also could have gone on the Majesty. The Majesty is a smaller ship and I don't think I would do well with my motion sickness.

Wow, you ask a very difficult question.

The Dawn is the better ship by far. But you spend so little time aboard the ship with a multiple day destination of Bermuda, where older smaller ships have advantages.

Is docking at St. George vs King's Wharf that much better?

Yes. You're within walking distance to a very nice beach.

You're closer to Hamilton for shopping and dining ashore.

But since you have the same transportation options at both docks, visiting the rest of Bermuda from tip to tip is about the same.

Is the Dawn that much better than the Dream?

Yes, in just about all areas of comparisions. The one item the Dream is better are its Oceanview cabins. Since you're planning on booking a cabin with a balcony, that particluar advantage doesn't mean much to you.

But the Dream's Owner Suites are nicer than the Dawn's mini suites, the choice you have given us.

It's your decision to make, but I believe you should make your decision based upon whether you prefer an extra day in Bermuda, or an extra day at sea, and upon fare prices. Both ships can provide you and your family a great Bermuda vacation.

You might also want to take into consideration that the mini-suite will accomodate 4 passengers while the Owner's Suite will take only two, thus making it necessary that you book an additional cabin.

On the Dream, the Owners suites will accommodate 4 or 5 passengers.

Hi NCL folks,

Since RCI only has 5 day trips this year and we like 7 days, we are forced to try NCL.

I'm not trying to be nasty but if you are starting your cruise by saying you are being forced to settle than I would suggest you go for the one that is less money.

I have a feeling you're not going to like NCL. You'll have extra money to spend in Bermuda.

Thanks, Calmac -- good to know. I only checked for max occupancy on the Dawn. I should know better! :rolleyes:

Common mistake to make, since NCL's fleet is half Star/Jewel class ships. But the other half of NCL's fleet have different cabins. Gotta keep that in mind.

Hi NCL folks,

We are new to NCL, but have been on RCI twice before. We cruised on the Liberty of the Seas in the Summer of 2007 and the Sun Viking in the Summer of 1989. We are 2 active adults and we have a 12 year old daughter and a 9 year old son. We live in CT, so we are basically in the middle of Boston and New York.

Since RCI only has 5 day trips this year and we like 7 days, we are forced to try NCL. Also, these are the lowest category of rooms available, that include a BALCONY, for the week we are vacationing.

What do you think is the better choice Dawn Mini Suite or Dream Owners Suite, and why?

The Dream includes the following details:

12.5 more hours in Bermuda

docks in St. George

room has 42 square feet more space

balcony has 11 square feet more space

a separate bedroom

a walk-in closet/pullman

a stocked bar (3 bottles)

a Butler

50,764 tons (smaller ship)

754 feet long and 94 beam

a Conceirge

The Dawn includes the following details:

docks in King's Warf

90,000 tons

965 feet long and 105 beam

$1,639.80 less money

Thanks for your help!

Doughboy 53

You have a dilemma don't you....???

I can only share with you MY personal experiences and choices.....

1. NCL versus another cruise lines:

I LOVE NCL...!!! Freestyle suits us PERFECTLY.....:)

The freedom of choice, what time and where to have your meals is GREAT....!!!

2. The Dawn versus The Dream:

I have been on the Dawn three times and I will be going on the Dream to Bermuda in October 2008. But, I have also been on another NCL smaller ship, The Crown, just this past October.

The Dawn is a WONDERFULL ship...!!! We LOVE IT....!!! We have been on the Voyager of the Seas, the Explorer of the Seas, the Norwegian Crown and the Norwegian Dawn, the Dawn is STILL my FAVORITE with the Crown coming in a VERY, VERY, VERY close 2nd....

So, PLEASE DON'T think that you are being "forced" on the Dawn, it REALLY IS a TERRIFIC SHIP....!!!!icon14.gif

All the Dining Choices, all the public spaces. The Dawn would be a GREAT choice.

I have NOT been on the Dream, but, it is just a bit bigger than the Crown. It IS a MUCH smaller ship (than the Dawn) and an older ship, like the Crown.

That said, we LOVED the Crown...!!!! We LOVED the smaller ship, the feeling of being on a really big private yacht. I am sad that the Crown was sold, we would have booked another cruise on her again for this year.

A Dawn Mini Suite versus a Dream Owners Suite:

I have only stayed in an AB on the Dawn, which is, I think, PERFECT for kids. They have their own tiny bathroom and bedroom (a sofa bed and a pull down bunk), closet and TV. My DD LOVED the space....!!! Plus, the rest of the cabin is just SO VERY, VERY, VERY NICE, QUITE FABULOUS actually....!!!! icon14.gif

But, I have seen an AF. Personally, I think you would find it VERY tight quarters for four people. But, if that is what is within your budget, by all means, book one. BUT, if your budget allows, an AB would be ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY PERFECT for a family of four....!!!!:D

An Owners Suite on the Dream:

I have booked one for next October for my DH and I. I think it will suit our needs "to a T". If YOU pick an AA, one of your children could sleep on the sofa bed, the other child on the pull down bunk in the closet.

Have you checked out an AB on the Dream..??? It is more spacious, four people I am sure will be quite comfortable in an AB. But, there is NO balcony....

3. The Itinerary:

Personally, I think that extra day in Bermuda is a clincher, just seals the deal for me. I KNOW if I were on the Dawn, I would be saying ALL DAY on Tuesday, "Geez, I could ALREADY BE IN BERMUDA if I were on the DREAM, WHY are we STILL FLOATING AROUND THE OCEAN....?????!!!!" I WOULD be kicking myself in the pants....!!!

Plus, Saint George is just SO CUTE to arrive in, with the "Town Crier" , WHERE in the world does THAT STILL HAPPEN...???!!!

You have to decide what is best for you and your family and your travel budget and WHAT is IMPORTANT to you and your family when you cruise........

Oh, and having a Butler IS GREAT TOO....!!!!:D All three times on the Dawn and on the Crown we have had a Butler and we liked it VERY MUCH...!!! Actually, when we are on the Dawn, my DD and her best friend (teenagers) use him the most. Since they practically live in the AB, they have MANY needs..... Like food, DVD's, snacks, etc.....

If you have ANY questions, just ask.......

Here is a link to see the cabins on NCL ships (and I guess ALL cruise ships too). You can see the difference in cabins on the Dream and the Dawn.:)

DON'T FORGET, that the cabins are shot with a WIDE ANGLE LENS..... So, ALL the cabins will look BIGGER than they really are....;) .

But, you will get the idea.....:)

http://www.cruisesinc.com/travel/cruises/virtual_tours.do?ITINERARY_ID=801|07||

Can't give you any advice on the ships themselves but since Bermuda is our favorite place, I'd go with the extra 12.5 hours there. Even though Bermuda is small and very easy to get around, St. George IMO is a much nicer place to dock.

Great protected snorkeling place (Tobacco Bay) and a nice beach, St. Catherine's, as well as a fort are close by. You're closer to the Crystal Caves, Aquarium, and Zoo. There are more places to use the dining ashore option in St. George than at the Dockyard. Shopping is good as almost all the major stores have a branch in St. George. There's also a nice ceremonial retreat with bagpipers on the square in the evening, usually on a Wed. night. The stocks are always a fun place to have your picture taken and there's also a dunking in the afternoon.

That being said, I'm sure someone else will come along and say it's better to dock at the Dockyard.:D

You also need to add in your travel costs. It is more costly out of NYC with parking and tolls. Parking in Boston is about $100.

I would go with the "cheapest". You may want to consider booking now, with a no fee agency, but then keep an eye on pricing trends, with this about double cabin availablity compared to this season, there are bound to be price changes.

I late book my Bermuda trips, this year, the price dropped to $199 on the Majesty, for that price you could have two cabins. :) Ended up $320 total, just fantastic for high cost Bermuda!!!

Hi Everyone,

I would like to clarify one point I made. I did not use the word "forced" negatively towards NCL. I simply meant that I don't like change and wished that RCI offered a 7-day Bermuda trip. Therefore, I am doing all this research because we definitely want to see Bermuda and NCL is our only 7-day option.

I guess, if I summarized all the posts, the bottom line is:

• 12.5 more hours
  • Larger room with separate bedroom
  • Butler
  • Stocked bar
  • Docks in St. George

OR

• Newer, larger ship
  • $1,639 LESS

Thanks for all the posts! Right now, I am leaning towards the Dream from Boston.

Doughboy 53

Hi Everyone,

I would like to clarify one point I made. I did not use the word "forced" negatively towards NCL. I simply meant that I don't like change and wished that RCI offered a 7-day Bermuda trip.

Good for you trying something new. I've done a bunch of NCL cruises because 1. I prefer to drive to the port and 2. I too don't like change.

I think your choices are really tough. We are booked on the Dawn only because our Dream cruise was cancelled - a drydock is occuring at the beginning of the Bermuda season.

The only two things the Dawn wins on is ship and price. While they are biggies, I think the service in the OS will make up for any shortcomings the Dream as a vessel may have over the Dawn.

I would recommend the Dream itinerary because your BERMUDA experience will begin as soon as you dock. Just get off the ship and walk to the beach. This is what we've done on the last day as well. You don't have to worry about transportation. You can have a nice relaxing morning enjoying St. George's before you leave.

Good luck with your vacation planning.

Archived