Spirit-Roatan shortened port time-What to do?

misand

We are on the Spirit in a week 1/2. We want to go to West Bay to the beach for a while. Anyone's experience with this yet? Advice?

What is everyone else doing with such a short port time with daylight hours?:)

Misand

It's been about 3 years since I was in Roatan, but there was nothing at the port except for the usual tee shirt and trinket stands. We took an excursion through the ship to Tabayana Beach, which was really nice. Pretty beach, a reef for snorkeling right off shore, cheap beers. It was about 1/2 hour bus ride away and seemed to be only for cruise ship passengers.

I'd recommend this excursion if it's offered. I don't recall any beaches nearby. From what I could see, the area was pretty underdeveloped when we wetre there although lot can change in 3 years, especailly given the number of cruise ships that now call there.

For my trip (on the Spirit 1/20), I'm not sure they're even OFFERING excursions. We are going to be delayed getting into port until 3pm, and so far on the NCL website you can't book tours for Roatan. I had already decided on one too! Very unforunate. Hopefully they'll offer them again, or we'll just have to go out exploring!

you can get a taxi at the port...just outside the secure area. there are signs with tour prices for some of the local independents. around the docks there are just homes/businesses and shops...some in front of the homes and other businesses. the coastline around the docks isn't beach. i have heard the beaches are on the other side of the island.

13170113_startingtoleaveship.jpg.f3a2a66c6fbe106ceeeddfae2f653fa8.jpg

My sister and I went to Roatan a few years ago. We loved it there.:D At the little shopping area right where you get off the ship we bought the most beautiful wooden bowls there for a couple dollars each. Be sure to look at them, they're well worth the money. We're going again Feb. 10th on the Spirit and this time we're getting wooden bowls for everyone we know.:p

When we got off the ship there were several little boys that followed us everywhere. They were real friendly. One of the boys spoke english a little, his name was George. Every time we took pictures, George would jump in the picture with us, needless to say, we have lots of good pictures of George.:) They stayed with us for quite a while, then one of them said "police" and they all took off running. We looked up and there were a bunch of men wearing camo holding some kind of rifles standing at different points like they were keeping guard. The boys acted so scared that we got a little nervous for a second there.:confused: We always wondered if there was something special going on or if the police were always there when a ship came in with tourists. If anyone else noticed this we sure are interested in hearing your thoughts.

We had a wonderful experience and can't wait to return.

We went there two years ago and loved it! We hired a taxi right outside the gates and had them take us to Half Moon Bay. It is a very private beach with a little tiki bar there was not a single person on the beach but us. Then we walked around a bend and there was a little resort that the cruise ship passengers were brought to for snorkeling. We ordered 3 freshly cooked lobster tails for $12 .....and there was a huge plate of crab for the same price. It does take awhile to get the food but the beach was gorgeous. I know there is a very populated beach nearby that we did not go to and I cant remember the name but if you want to relax it was awesome. www.caribbeancoast.com/hotels/halfmoonbay/profile.cfm shows some pictures. It might have been my favorite stop of the cruise

do try to get to the beach and to do a little snorkeling if time permits. It is the most beautiful snorkeling I have ever done, then stop by the little open shopping area before you get back on the ship. As someone mentioned the hand carved wooden pieces are dirt cheap and very pretty. Some will tell you it is just about T shirts etc, this isn't the case. Whatever you do, enjoy Roatan for what it is. Remember it is very much third world so be prepared. The best part of stopping in Roatan is meeting the wonderful native people.

Nita

We were in Roatan this past March and went to Fantasy Island for the day: http://www.fantasyislandresort.com/us/index.html

We are scuba divers, but our teenagers are not. There was plenty for them to do for the day and the snorkeling was excellent. We paid $19 ea for the day pass and lunch then an additional $10 ea for the ride. The resort's driver was 45 minutes late (he said he was there and couldn't find us)- so I would take a taxi on the way there instead if I were to go there again. But the lunch was excellent and the grounds beautiful. There are even little monkeys running around the resort which was fun. I believe it was about a 25 min ride from the cruise port.

One more thing - Roatan is "famous" for sand fleas. Be sure to wear bug repellant - OFF will do just fine, just remember to reapply after being in the water. We did not have a problem, but noticed many on our ship with bites after our day in Roatan.

One more thing - Roatan is "famous" for sand fleas. Be sure to wear bug repellant - OFF will do just fine, just remember to reapply after being in the water. We did not have a problem, but noticed many on our ship with bites after our day in Roatan.
you are so right, they do not bother me, but our last stop in Roatan, DH got eaten alive and he did use Deet: problem he waited til he got to the beach, too late. It is best to apply it before you leave the ship on while you are being transported. In fact I still think many of those who are gettin eaten by bed bugs may be getting eaten by the sand fleas instead. The bites do not always come out immediately and you can't see the little devils when they are having you for lunch.

Nita

I cancelled our tour with Victor Bodden and I'm kind of bummed about it. I just don't think it's worth rushing around to see as much as possible in the few hours of daylight we'll have left by the time we are able to disembark. Glad to know they sell wooden bowls and such close by. We'll probably get off to check that out - and just to say we've set foot on Honduran soil.

Victor has discounted his tour just for the shortened Spirit cruises from $25/pp to $20/pp. We're reserved with him even with the shortened time. Nothing is really cheaper, and his service is great. Your own personal driver (we love William, had him last time too) to take you wherever you want. We're going to West Bay and Half Moon, swimming and snorkeling.

If anyone is going on the 1/20 cruise and is still trying to do a beach day in Roatan and is interested in sharing a cab to either Half Moon Bay, Coral Cay, or somewhere I haven't yet read about, let me know. This is my first cruise and my boyfriend's first to Central America, and we're a little uneasy about taking a cab somewhere on our own since we're in our twenties and haven't experienced much in the ways of the world yet. :)

The sun sets about 5:45 in Roatan on 22nd. Even if we do dock at 3, it'll be some time til we're off the boat and anywhere like a beach or snorkeling location. And then, the light won't be strong enough to show up the corals and fish, and worse if it's overcast. Don't mean to be a bummer here, but it doesn't seem likely that a beach day is possible. I wish they'd changed the itinerary to give us a full day here and short changed the time in Guatemala.

If anyone is going on the 1/20 cruise and is still trying to do a beach day in Roatan and is interested in sharing a cab to either Half Moon Bay, Coral Cay, or somewhere I haven't yet read about, let me know. This is my first cruise and my boyfriend's first to Central America, and we're a little uneasy about taking a cab somewhere on our own since we're in our twenties and haven't experienced much in the ways of the world yet. :)

Hi terpgirl:

I am on your sailing. You should check out the roll call boards and look for our cruise! We're having a Cruise Critic get-together at the Biergarten right after muster drill... Please join us!

Annie

Hey terpgirl,

We are on the same sailing as you and this will be the first cruise for me and my boyfriend as well. We are in our twenties too and we're also hoping to team up with another couple to just head to the beach in Roatan. If you want we can team up on this one, let me know. Also, come on over to the roll call (if you haven't already), looks like we are all planning on meeting up in the Beirgarten(sp) after the muster drill.

-Melissa

Hey terpgirl,

We are on the same sailing as you and this will be the first cruise for me and my boyfriend as well. We are in our twenties too and we're also hoping to team up with another couple to just head to the beach in Roatan. If you want we can team up on this one, let me know. Also, come on over to the roll call (if you haven't already), looks like we are all planning on meeting up in the Beirgarten(sp) after the muster drill.

-Melissa

My sister and I went to Roatan a few years ago. We loved it there.:D At the little shopping area right where you get off the ship we bought the most beautiful wooden bowls there for a couple dollars each. Be sure to look at them, they're well worth the money. We're going again Feb. 10th on the Spirit and this time we're getting wooden bowls for everyone we know.:p

When we got off the ship there were several little boys that followed us everywhere. They were real friendly. One of the boys spoke english a little, his name was George. Every time we took pictures, George would jump in the picture with us, needless to say, we have lots of good pictures of George.:) They stayed with us for quite a while, then one of them said "police" and they all took off running. We looked up and there were a bunch of men wearing camo holding some kind of rifles standing at different points like they were keeping guard. The boys acted so scared that we got a little nervous for a second there.:confused: We always wondered if there was something special going on or if the police were always there when a ship came in with tourists. If anyone else noticed this we sure are interested in hearing your thoughts.

We had a wonderful experience and can't wait to return.

There were 3 different checkpoints between leaving the ship and hitting the streets where we had to show passports and NCL card to 4 different people - it was pouring down rain and it didn't matter to them that it was raining. The locals followed us to get us to buy things but didn't make other conversation. Lots of children selling beads, dolls, bowls. There are some bargains in the flea market but most people have the same items.

Roatan is very poor - at least where the ship docks - so don't feel bad about spending your money here. We took the 5 minute "taxi" ride to the 'Cameo factory'. Although it was interesting to look at cameos carved from shells, the pieces were all over $100 and the craftsmen were not working when we were in there. It was an interesting building exterior (zodiac tiles on the side 'porch'). The people inside were not friendly. This I could not understand since it had been raining all day and we were the only tourists in the place.

We did chuckle at the 'taxi' - a compact car with 5 of us piled in with the driver :)

Archived