For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Don't know if this helps you much, but I am sailing with Robyn on her second week of her B2B and we booked a flight out of Buffalo for $425 U.S. We do not have a direct flight.

Vancouver to Florida was ~$800 pp from Vancouver over a year ago - now they are charging well over $500 pp just to get to LA from Vancouver.

I don't really want to fly from Seattle, as it is a very long drive, but I may be driven to it considering what we have to pay!

It's true that flying to San Juan may be a bit more expensive. On the other hand the cruise is less expensive than a 7 day from Miami. We have done Western and Eastern and wanted to do Southern. We both thought the cost to be a bargain at 849 pp considering what we paid before.

It's great to see a positive thread regarding AOS. I have booked this as a surprise for DH on on 25th anniv. in Nov.--it is also a group cruise(small TA group) where we will be w/several of our longtime friends. We both have such fond memories of our 1st cruise that was to the So. Carrib. out of SJ but I was starting to get a little worried. I will disregard any negative posts that appear from here on out and just start planning for a great cruise and looking for decent airfare out of BWI or DCA-thanks ckrobyn:p

Don't know if this helps you much, but I am sailing with Robyn on her second week of her B2B and we booked a flight out of Buffalo for $425 U.S. We do not have a direct flight.

I booked this coming sailing back in April of 07. My TA is wonderful and from JFK to SJ, non stop $300pp is what she found us. I notice the cruise itself is much cheaper then others leaving from Fla. Two great choices of Southern Caribbean ports. So if you can book your air early, this is a deal. Expecially now that ckrobyn has got us all pumped up, in a good way about AOS.:D

I booked this coming sailing back in April of 07. My TA is wonderful and from JFK to SJ, non stop $300pp is what she found us. I notice the cruise itself is much cheaper then others leaving from Fla. Two great choices of Southern Caribbean ports. So if you can book your air early, this is a deal. Expecially now that ckrobyn has got us all pumped up, in a good way about AOS.:D

I just booked this for my daughter and her friends and I got them 310pp direct from JFK to SJU so the prices are pretty stable if you got this that long ago.

Just curious Robyn, but what is the airfare from TO to SJ? The price of airfare is really keeping me away from cruising from Florida and SJ. Not to mention the horrifically long flight!

If you book as soon as the fares are available (about 10 months out) you can fly direct from Toronto to San Juan for about $700 pp return. Now that I think about it, it really isn't that bad considering I jus paid $500 to fly to Orlando in November :rolleyes:

It's great to see a positive thread regarding AOS. I have booked this as a surprise for DH on on 25th anniv. in Nov.--it is also a group cruise(small TA group) where we will be w/several of our longtime friends. We both have such fond memories of our 1st cruise that was to the So. Carrib. out of SJ but I was starting to get a little worried. I will disregard any negative posts that appear from here on out and just start planning for a great cruise and looking for decent airfare out of BWI or DCA-thanks ckrobyn:p

Congrats on your 25th! You picked a great ship for your celebration :)

Put us down as soon to be repeaters. We sailed on the AOS last year and rebooked while we were on board. Its a great ship and we had an aft cabin,7388, which was fantastic we even booked the same room.

I saw your cabin in November when we were on the Mariner and you lucked out to get it again! That balcony is awesome! :D

Sue L

You know-this actually may be a good thing if I decide to try the other itinerary-real soon :D

Ahhh- a fellow LIer I see !!!

I was nervous when she was planning this cruise so late for spring break that the airfares were going to be astronomical and we were pleasantly surprised . The girls are actually in Philly at UPENN so will come to our house in Holbrook and then we will drive them in to the airport so they don't have to pay for parking.

There is no direct flight from BUF to SJU. Last year when we went we did US Air and transferred in ATL (way down) and BOS (on the way back). There were at least 30 folks from the AOS cruise that took this flight with us after our departure, goodness only knows how many on the flights before us (we took a late flight and got to BUF about midnight). You'd think with all the folks traveling from BUF to SJU some airline might work on a direct flight.... most likely Southwest or Airtran as the legacies do like their hubs. *sigh*

Checking prices they seem to have fallen a bit from your $425 to the lower $300s.... although maybe you have better times. :)

I was nervous when she was planning this cruise so late for spring break that the airfares were going to be astronomical and we were pleasantly surprised . The girls are actually in Philly at UPENN so will come to our house in Holbrook and then we will drive them in to the airport so they don't have to pay for parking.

Sue - you should be joining her so I can meet you!!! :)

If you book as soon as the fares are available (about 10 months out) you can fly direct from Toronto to San Juan for about $700 pp return. Now that I think about it, it really isn't that bad considering I jus paid $500 to fly to Orlando in November :rolleyes:

I am sure Americans are stunned at what we have to pay! I know my friend could fly to LA for $288 from Virginia, whereas my flights are over $500. We sure get ripped off up here!

Robyn- It's been a long time since we have been on a RCI ship. We are sailing AOS in March 16th. Do you know how early we can embark? We are flying in the day before and staying the night at a resort. We just weren't sure how much time to fill before heading to the ship. Also, do you know if they serve sushi?

Thanks!

I am sure Americans are stunned at what we have to pay! I know my friend could fly to LA for $288 from Virginia, whereas my flights are over $500. We sure get ripped off up here!

I know what you mean :( I try to use my Royal Bank Avion Visa as much as humanly possible to get as many points as I can to fly to my ports!!!

Sue - you should be joining her so I can meet you!!! :)

I have been so tempted but I doubt they want MOM hanging out with them. LOL. Besides I don't think I could stand being in an inside with 3 , 22 year olds. :eek:

Robyn- It's been a long time since we have been on a RCI ship. We are sailing AOS in March 16th. Do you know how early we can embark? We are flying in the day before and staying the night at a resort. We just weren't sure how much time to fill before heading to the ship. Also, do you know if they serve sushi?

Thanks!

You should try and be at the port by about 10:00am - last year we were on the ship by 11:30am :) The AOS tends to start the boarding process pretty early - so if you are one of those anxious people like I am :rolleyes: you will want to be among the first onboard!

There is sushi in the Windjammer for dinner. You won't find raw fish, but you will see california rolls, smoked salmon rolls and various veggie rolls. Enjoy!!!

Thought I would post a little known fact about the AOS :rolleyes:

If you are looking for something at one of the shops onboard, and they don't have any left - or they don't have your size.....

The AOS "re-stocks" in St.Thomas (Saturday) so you can check back on Saturday night and they may have what you are looking for ;)

I think this thread is long overdue.

Each week I see at least 2-3 posts regarding the Adventure of the Seas, people who have booked and are now afraid they made a mistake - and people who have yet to book, that may not ever book because of what they read on here.

As many of you know, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times and have had wonderful cruise vacations on all 3. I am sailing again next month on my 2nd B2B on the AOS and I am eagerly anticipating another fantastic cruise! :)

Here are a few commonly asked questions about the AOS:

Q: Does the AOS have a large amount of Puerto Ricans sailing on her for most cruises?

A: Yes, there are Puerto Rican's on cruises out of San Juan. It is their home port and I would be very surprised if they weren't.

Q: Are the announcements in Spanish as well as English?

A: Yes they are. Is it an issue? No.

Q: Are Puerto Ricans rude and rowdy?

A: No more rude and rowdy than other passengers I have seen on other ships and other itineraries. Puerto Ricans are a lively bunch :)

Q: Is the AOS a sick ship, or more prone to Noro than other ships?

A: No. The AOS has as much chance of a noro outbreak as any other ship in the RCI fleet.

Q: I have booked the AOS and after reading negative reviews, I want to cancel - what should I do?

A: You can cancel you cruise if you want, but you will be missing out on a fantastic cruise on a great ship sailing on a wonderful itinerary!

I do understand that some people have had negative experiences on the AOS - but the same can be said for any other ship. There will always be people cutting in line, pushing elevator buttons, chair hogging and the list goes on......unfortunately, some people like to leave their manners at home :(

My experiences have been terrific on the AOS and I would encourage anyone to sail on her and see for themselves what a great ship she is!!

Yes....I am an AOS cheerleader, and proud of it!!!

Great post, when I was on the AOS, I loved her.:D

Archived