For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Okay,we are on the 1/8 AOS sailing-not my favorite ship or cruise line but due to a conference onboard I am going for free.

Travelling with a relative who has not cruised before and is not a patient person.

I am not thrilled with posts about the long delays in embarkation lately.

We are flying in a day early so we can arrive at the port at any time. I have sailed on RCI several times before but do not have priority embarkation status. My favorite line does not tend to book meetings on board.

What time do you suggest we arrive at the pier based on the recent issues? I would rather wait in line in the late morning than at 3pm or later if this helps. If it means we need to arrive uber early to get into an air conditioned building I will do that even if it means waiting a while.

Okay,we are on the 1/8 AOS sailing-not my favorite ship or cruise line but due to a conference onboard I am going for free.

Travelling with a relative who has not cruised before and is not a patient person.

We are flying in a day early so we can arrive at the port at any time. I have sailed on RCI several times before but do not have priority embarkation status. My favorite line does not tend to book meetings on board.

What time do you suggest we arrive at the pier based on the recent issues? I would rather wait in line in the late morning than at 3pm or later if this helps. If it means we need to arrive uber early to get into an air conditioned building I will do that even if it means waiting a while.

Have a fantastic cruise!! :p:p:p

For those recently back from a southern cruise on AOS can you tell me the names of the production shows and the ice show. Thanks.

I was on the AOS in December and the ice show was "Hot Art, Cool Ice"....we really enjoyed it. There were a couple of comedians....one not so funny but there was a magician/comedian from England who was fantastic. the tribute to the Temptations group were absolutely fabulous and were backed up by the Royal Caribbean orchestra who were also incredibly talented. There was also a great group of young guys from Serbia who played in different venues....great music.....and Cezar in the Schooner bar was very entertaining. the Royal Caribbean singers and dancers also put on two very entertaining shows.....one was a Vegas style revue. ENJOY!!!

I'd be more than happy to take your place!!! :p:p:p:p

WOW! A FREE cruise and you've already decided how it will go ... why board the ship. I travel for work & was told when I started the job ... "it is what you make of it" ... needless to say I've enjoyed almost every trip afterall it's mine for the taking!

Hope you do have a good time!!! Most of us would ...

Couldn't agree more! AOS is a great ship! This May will be our 3rd cruise on her and will make 3 years in a row. We've never experienced any problems and have found both the ship and the crew to be superb! San Juan is my favorite port to sail out of with all the forts lit up at night and Old San Juan is one of my favorite places, so much so that last year I chose it to propose to my now wife. It's got to be one of the most romantic places on earth! She said yes in the courtyard of the El Convento Hotel!

My wife and I have sailed with RCCI about 8 times and we did two cruises on the AOS. I have to say those two may have been our favorites. The itineraries were excellent, the food was very good and the people were great. The Puerto Rican guests were extremely cordial and enjoyable to be around. I would go on her again, but we like to try other ships, too. We are sailing on the Allure on the 15th of January and we are really looking forward to that one. We have sailed the Freedom of the seas and this will be our first Oasis class. After we are done this one I think I might do the Adventure again.

We leave for AOS in just over 2 weeks !! SO EXCITED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

We have no tours planned, no nothing. 6th cruise and we are gonna wing it. Just wondering though, if there are 'must sees' on certain islands. We sail Jan 22. St Kitts, St Thomas (5th time being there), Aruba and Curacao !

Our cruise a few years back on the Serenade, we got off the ship in Antigua, rented a cab, and said take us wherever. It was one of the best tours ever, and we had hours at the beach as well.

So excited, dh is already packed ! LOL We are going with our great friends too, so its gonna be an even better time !

I can't believe it is STILL the same ice show as when I was last on Adventure and I saw it two years in a row on the ship.

I know right?

RCI really needs to change things up in the ice show department :cool:

When/where is your next cruise Dr. Ocean Boy? :rolleyes:

Thanks. I hope I don't miss too much of what Oasis had to offer. The Aqua Theater is amazing.

So far the Oasis/Allure are not even on my radar. The suite prices need to come down a notch or two and I don't see that happening for a while. It took us almost 4 years after the Freedom class was launched to sail her, it may be the same case with Oasis :rolleyes:

I am sailing the Adventure on Jan 29th. I am trying to find out the entertainment schedule each night so that I can make some dinner reservations. Was hoping someone who sailed recently can upload the daily compass showing what shows are what nights and the times. I figure it's the same for each itinerary. We are doing the St.Croix-St.Maarten-Antigua-St.Lucia-Barbados itinerary. Was hoping to plan dinner around some shows. Thanks for any help!

So far the Oasis/Allure are not even on my radar. The suite prices need to come down a notch or two and I don't see that happening for a while. It took us almost 4 years after the Freedom class was launched to sail her, it may be the same case with Oasis :rolleyes:

I have to agree way to expensive for the stops you get IMHO. There are to many great cruises out there for us to spend that money on those ships.

We leave for AOS in just over 2 weeks !! SO EXCITED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

We have no tours planned, no nothing. 6th cruise and we are gonna wing it. Just wondering though, if there are 'must sees' on certain islands. We sail Jan 22. St Kitts, St Thomas (5th time being there), Aruba and Curacao !

Our cruise a few years back on the Serenade, we got off the ship in Antigua, rented a cab, and said take us wherever. It was one of the best tours ever, and we had hours at the beach as well.

So excited, dh is already packed ! LOL We are going with our great friends too, so its gonna be an even better time !

That's the same route I'm taking on 3/18/12 ... Please come back and let us know what you did; any details to share related to those islands-itinerary- shows-etc

Most important ENJOY!!!!

Did a land based vacay on St. Kitts last year for 5 days with Marriott points. The island itself is beautiful due to it being volcanic, but the beaches and water are not pretty-that is why it remains relatively underdeveloped compared to other Caribbean islands. I would not spend money doing a catamaran sail or beach break on this island-save that for other islands.

The history is very interesting and visiting the Romney manor where the batik fabrics and apparel is made is gorgeous and the Brimstone Hill fortress affords spectacular views and lots of interesting history.

There are relatively few, if any, good restaurants near the pier. Almost all places will take US dollars-just make sure they don't give you change in Kittitian dollars which are worthless anywhere else. Most of the stores near the pier are tourist traps-poor quality and most things are not made locally. The Caribelle Batik store at Romney manor did have locally made fabrics and apparel so those were worth buying. Love those flip flops they have!

The sugar cane railroad is really pricey and not worth it. We did not do this while we were there.

The volcano hike could be very interesting and pretty but you need to be in good shape to do it.

I have to agree way to expensive for the stops you get IMHO. There are to many great cruises out there for us to spend that money on those ships.

I did the Allure in July (with my entire family) and the ship was beautiful and amazing, but I completely agree about the ports being disappointing. I never understood the ship as a destination before that trip, but it really was true with the Allure.

I can't not wait for the next 31 days to pass so I can be on the Adventure and in the warm, beautiful southern Caribbean.

Did a land based vacay on St. Kitts last year for 5 days with Marriott points. The island itself is beautiful due to it being volcanic, but the beaches and water are not pretty-that is why it remains relatively underdeveloped compared to other Caribbean islands. I would not spend money doing a catamaran sail or beach break on this island-save that for other islands.

The history is very interesting and visiting the Romney manor where the batik fabrics and apparel is made is gorgeous and the Brimstone Hill fortress affords spectacular views and lots of interesting history.

There are relatively few, if any, good restaurants near the pier. Almost all places will take US dollars-just make sure they don't give you change in Kittitian dollars which are worthless anywhere else. Most of the stores near the pier are tourist traps-poor quality and most things are not made locally. The Caribelle Batik store at Romney manor did have locally made fabrics and apparel so those were worth buying. Love those flip flops they have!

The sugar cane railroad is really pricey and not worth it. We did not do this while we were there.

The volcano hike could be very interesting and pretty but you need to be in good shape to do it.

Well a several of the southern carribean islands are like that , St. Lucia comes to mind , beautiful island , beaches , not so much . We were just on St Kitts loved our one day visit but as yousaid beach was just okay. Now Barbadaos they have wonderful beaches and water and several others do as well , our favorite cruise , Number 5 coming up out of San Juan.

Archived