For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

My family just returned form AOS yesterday. We had so much fun! I had read many negative reviews about the ship but I had nothing to worry about. The crew went out of the way to entertain my kids (10 and 5). This cruise was also a Quinceaneras (sp?) cruise with lots of teenage girls and thier extended families.

A note to those expecting to get on the ship at 11 am-it may not happen. We lined up at the pier at 11am and there was still lots of people left to get off the ship. The doors to the terminal opened about noon and the building quickly filled up (we were lucky, we got inside and found chairs), then they closed the doors leaving about 2500 people outside in steamy heat and pouring rain. We were finally allowed on the ship at 2pm. At 5pm we could still see a very long line waiting to be checked in. The reason for the delay was customs and immigration.

I hope to post a full review in the coming days.

Pam

Pam, so glad you had a great cruise :) I know things can sometimes get dicey when it is a Quince cruise......

Interesting about your boarding experience. We have always been able to board at about 11:30-11:45am - there must have been a customs issue that held things up??

I'm looking very forward to reading your detailed review!!!

Thank you for this thread. I was going to take the family on this cruise in August 2008 but booked Explorer in January 2009 instead because of all the negative reviews about the AOS cruise. I bought a "Next Cruise" while on Enchantment last week and will be using it to book an AOS cruise for me the my DH. If I like it, the following year I will go back and take the itinerary that stops in Aruba.

So glad to hear you are going to give the AOS a try :D You will love it and will want to book the Aruba route!!!

Robyn, I would like to suggest to you that you start an All things Adventure of the Seas thread.

You will be a wealth of information for everyone that plans on taking the cruise.

aaaaaaaaaw - thanks familycruzer :)

I think by now, most folks on here know that the AOS is my favorite ship, and even though there is no formal " all things Adventure of the Seas" thread - I get emails from CC folks all the time with their questions!

I think THIS thread is turning into an "all things AOS" thread!!!!

What can I say?? I love the AOS!!! :)

We sure will have fun! I signed up for the M&M. Never been to one. Maybe see you there?

Hi Debde - I didn't signed up for the M&M as DH just want to enjoy anniversary rather than signing up for M&M. Anyway, have a good time.:)

Ahhh.....just the thread I needed. I will be jumping on the AOS in less than a week with 26 of my closest friends and family members and getting married on the beach while the ship is in Aruba on Tuesday - yeeeHAW!!! I can't wait for the AOS and I'm totally over all those whiney threads....so thanks for another positive one.

Laura

Ahhh.....just the thread I needed. I will be jumping on the AOS in less than a week with 26 of my closest friends and family members and getting married on the beach while the ship is in Aruba on Tuesday - yeeeHAW!!! I can't wait for the AOS and I'm totally over all those whiney threads....so thanks for another positive one.

Laura

Laura - Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!! :) Which beach are you getting married on??? What are you going to wear??? I think it would be so neat to be married on a beach in a white flowy dress and bare feet....

Have a fantastic wedding cruise, and don't forget to come back on here and tell us all about it! :D

I have the AOS booked for March 09...and I am very excited about it :D

The way I figure it is...I survived the Navigator which had tons and tons of oldies and drunken louts,11 Alphas,4 Medivacs :eek:

Infact tonight I am sitting here researching my ports/flights/hotels etc etc for the AOS..and although the cruise is over a year away I am very very excited :D :D

Thank you very much for starting this thread and I for one look forward to reading all about your next cruise on AOS.

I am 60, and anyone under 50 should be forbidden to cruise: young people always cause more trouble amd problems; my best cruise was to Alaska on the Radiance in September when they were at a minimum.:)

Hi Laura!

Do you remember that Jack and I were the first ones to see your engagement ring when you last sailed on AOS? I remember!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! All the best to you and your sweetie :)

Hey Deb! Long time no chat! Of course I remember that you guys were the first people I told (even though I had about a full bottle of champagne prior to running into you guys...teehee!) I think we totally tackled you as you were heading back towards or away from the ship in St. Martin to blurt out our good news, haha. Do you guys have any cruises planned? We've got 26 people going with us it's going to be nuts! Thanks for thinking of us!

Laura

Laura - Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!! :) Which beach are you getting married on??? What are you going to wear??? I think it would be so neat to be married on a beach in a white flowy dress and bare feet....

Have a fantastic wedding cruise, and don't forget to come back on here and tell us all about it! :D

Thanks! We're getting married on Eagle Beach and the dress I'm wearing is down below and I'll probably be bare foot for the most part but I do have some nice white satin beaded flip flops just in case. After the ceremony on Eagle beach and cake and champagne we're all getting on the Rhumba, a 70ft catamaran for a two hour sunset sail reception w/an open bar and hor duerves. Yay! Then the catamaran brings us right back to the AOS and then we're off to dinner (or to another bar, lol).

2721686620101255383S200x200Q85.jpg

I am 60, and anyone under 50 should be forbidden to cruise: young people always cause more trouble amd problems; my best cruise was to Alaska on the Radiance in September when they were at a minimum.:)

Oh I am talking about folks who were in their 80 plus...with electric scooters etc and expected you to move out of their way at all times...never had so many bruises from a cruise :eek:

And the drunken louts..well sad to say they were in the 25-40 age group and I would say first time cruisers,well at least with RCCL.

The abuse the staff received from those folks were enough to put them off working on the ships on the Med :(

Didnt put me off cruising though,I dont let others ruin my cruises.

Thanks! We're getting married on Eagle Beach and the dress I'm wearing is down below and I'll probably be bare foot for the most part but I do have some nice white satin beaded flip flops just in case. After the ceremony on Eagle beach and cake and champagne we're all getting on the Rhumba, a 70ft catamaran for a two hour sunset sail reception w/an open bar and hor duerves. Yay! Then the catamaran brings us right back to the AOS and then we're off to dinner (or to another bar, lol).

2721686620101255383S200x200Q85.jpg

Love the dress!!! I'm sure your beach wedding will be fabulous :)

Take lots of pictures and post them on CC when you return, ok? :D

Robyn, I would like to suggest to you that you start an All things Adventure of the Seas thread.

You will be a wealth of information for everyone that plans on taking the cruise.

aaaaaaaaaw - thanks familycruzer :)

I think by now, most folks on here know that the AOS is my favorite ship, and even though there is no formal " all things Adventure of the Seas" thread - I get emails from CC folks all the time with their questions!

I think THIS thread is turning into an "all things AOS" thread!!!!

What can I say?? I love the AOS!!! :)

Actually there is a thread and "ckrobyn" has posted on it.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=594095

Oh I am talking about folks who were in their 80 plus...with electric scooters etc and expected you to move out of their way at all times...never had so many bruises from a cruise :eek:

And the drunken louts..well sad to say they were in the 25-40 age group and I would say first time cruisers,well at least with RCCL.

The abuse the staff received from those folks were enough to put them off working on the ships on the Med :(

Didnt put me off cruising though,I dont let others ruin my cruises.

I understand your concern, but I am also impressed that people needing to be on scooters or wheelchairs will go on an ocean cruise. I also am proud of a crew which works hard to take care of these individuals, especially transferring them from the ship to a tender particularly uin choppy waters. -- it makes one thankful they are able to use their legs and can stand or walk. Considering there are those who feel they are ready for the nursing home or for the grave, I give them a thumbs up :) -- and we also needed to move to avoid our share of scrapes and bruises.

ckrobyn....thanks for the review. We'll be on the AOS 4/6/08...looking forward to it. Staying at the El Convento Hotel the night before. On your visits to St. Thomas...did you ever go over to St. John?

Krooz - I have yet to make it over to St.John. I've been to St.Thomas about 6 times, and it started out as a shopping port for me - until this past November when I was on the Mariner and we went to Magen's Bay for the day and loved being at the beach! For our upcoming cruises on the AOS, we are thinking either Magens or Coki Beach. I have heard Trunk Bay is spectacular though!

I am going to book this cruise in March or April when rates come out. With the itinerary being so port intensive, is it really worth the extra $$$ for a balcony cabin?

Familycruzer - a balcony is always important to me :D I'm one of those people who do spend a reasonable amount of time in my cabin and on my balcony, so I cannot imagine cruising without one! Having said that, for most it comes to down to finances. My opinion is if you can afford a balcony cabin - go for it! There is nothing like having your own private slice of deck ;) We also sit out on our balcony each day as we are pulling into port - and leaving. I've gotten some outstanding pictures that way!

My opinion is if you can afford a balcony cabin - go for it! There is nothing like having your own private slice of deck

I will be platinum by then so maybe the balcony wont be so much more than an oceanview. It will be our 20 year annivarsary so I might slurge anyways. Any suggestions on which side of the ship to be on for the itinerary without Aruba?

Archived