dramamine in kids

vbecky

I gave my kids, ages 11 and 13, some Bonine on our cruise. Bonine is supposed to not cause as much drowsiness as Dramamine, and it knocked them out. They were so tired and couldn't wait to go to bed the first night. They also both felt ill anyway. My advice would be to try without it first, then go ahead and give it to them if they feel ill. :) :D

Hi I am wondering if anybody has ever given their kids dramamine while on a cruise? I have two kids ages 14 & 9. Thanks

We give my 11-year-old DS half a Dramamine for motion sickness. He even gets sick on an extended drive in the car. :D

Half a pill doesn't seem to make him drowsy, and it helps the motion sickness.

Hope this helps.

My best friend is a pharmacist and she says that meclazine (Bonine, Non-drowsy Dramamine) is not labeled for and should not be used for kids under 12. She found me a product called "Bonine for Kids" that used a different type of med. It worked okay but it was chewable raspberry flavored tablets and my kids gagged on it; said it tasted awful.

So we switched to 1/2 dramamine every 6 hrs. DD, age 7, did fine with it and took it throughout the cruise. Ds, who is nearing 11, couldn't hold his eyes open it made him so sleepy. So I went on and started him on bonine, I figured its okay as he is close enough to 12. He took one in the a.m and one before bed and did great.

Moral of the story; come prepared with different meds and find what works.

I use the sea bands most of the time and my daughter will if the seas start to get a bit rough. I'm guessing they really work, haven't had any problems with them except on 1 cruise and I don't think anything would have worked for me. I'm the type that gets car sick easily. They don't look too pretty in the pics when the seas pick up, but I usually take them off when the seas are smooth and when in port.

You can usually find them in a drug store or Target.

Since bonine is only give once every 24 hours, give it to the kids about 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime.

Also, I find that taking it a couple of days prior to the cruise helps get it into your system. The first night I take it, I am groggy the next day. But, my body gets used to it and it sure beats getting motion sick!

Hi I am wondering if anybody has ever given their kids dramamine while on a cruise? I have two kids ages 14 & 9. Thanks
I give it to my son, now age 13, but have giving it to him on our last two cruises. I also take it. We have not had any problems at all. We start to take it the day before we fly so it is in our system.

Alll those medicines turn my son into a zombie. He has had a problem on most cruises since he was little and then we discovered ginger pills. They have been a life saver and they don't cost anywhere near the same as the medications. He starts taking them twice a day before the cruise and no sickness and no side effects. He uses them for car and plane rides too. Mythbusters did a show about motion sickness and found that the ginger pills were the most effective remedy. Cindy

I saw the Mythbusters show as well and they did find ginger to be very effective. I personally take bonine at night and ginger during the day. Just make sure to take it with plenty of water as it can cause heartburn. They do make the ginger is several forms (pills and chewy candies) as well as raw ginger. The best thing is that ginger does not make you tired!

I gave my kids, ages 11 and 13, some Bonine on our cruise. Bonine is supposed to not cause as much drowsiness as Dramamine, and it knocked them out. They were so tired and couldn't wait to go to bed the first night. They also both felt ill anyway. My advice would be to try without it first, then go ahead and give it to them if they feel ill. :) :D

USe Ginger....I live on these on cruises. I never liked the feeling of bonine or dramamine and a friend suggested Ginger pills and It was great! Never since taking them have I had an issue!

Archived