Bermuda's bus system & other questions

gram4haley

We have booked a cruise to Bermuda for September on the NCL Majesty. We will have 2 full days and 2 part days in port. I don't plan to book any excursions through NCL. I have never used a public transportation system before, so I have many questions.

(1) We want to see the St. David's Lighthouse. I know I will want the No. 6 bus route, and I know the buses have a buzzer system to notify the drive, but I cannot find a map that tells me where the bus stops are so that I know which one I need. Where do I find a map of bus stops?

I plan to do a day in Hamilton doing a self-guided walking tour. The 2 part days will be spent doing a self-guided walking tour of St. George's which is where our ship docks. I have made arrangements with a tour guide for the other full day. The area we want to see will be anything west of Hamilton, specifically the Gibbs Hill lighthouse, the smallest drawbridge and the Royal Navy Dockyard area. Here are the questions,

(2)On my Hamilton day, is it realistic to also plan to see Crystal Cave that day?

(3)On the 'West of Hamilton' day is there anything else we really should not miss?

(4)One last question, is the St. David's light worth the extra effort to go to see it?

We have booked a cruise to Bermuda for September on the NCL Majesty. We will have 2 full days and 2 part days in port. I don't plan to book any excursions through NCL. I have never used a public transportation system before, so I have many questions.

(1) We want to see the St. David's Lighthouse. I know I will want the No. 6 bus route, and I know the buses have a buzzer system to notify the drive, but I cannot find a map that tells me where the bus stops are so that I know which one I need. Where do I find a map of bus stops?

I plan to do a day in Hamilton doing a self-guided walking tour. The 2 part days will be spent doing a self-guided walking tour of St. George's which is where our ship docks. I have made arrangements with a tour guide for the other full day. The area we want to see will be anything west of Hamilton, specifically the Gibbs Hill lighthouse, the smallest drawbridge and the Royal Navy Dockyard area. Here are the questions,

(2)On my Hamilton day, is it realistic to also plan to see Crystal Cave that day?

(3)On the 'West of Hamilton' day is there anything else we really should not miss?

(4)One last question, is the St. David's light worth the extra effort to go to see it?

Here Are my thoughts on your quest.... I live here!

(1) - Anytime you are get on the bus sit near the front and simply ask the bus driver to let you off at your requested destination. This will make it a lot easier on you. Maps are available at the bus depots and on line at www.gov.bm. St David's Lighthouse isnt in the best of areas but safe. You may consider taking a cab as it is close to St Georges and I am not sure how much time you will spend there.

(2) Crystal caves only takes about about 1-1.5 hours.. if your taking your time. Just stop on the way to Hamilton.

(3) Hit Gibbs Hill Lighthouse for sure and dont miss Horseshoe Bay it is really pretty. Posssibly eat at the Swizzle Southshore.. if you dont hit the original. The Somerset Bridge is nice (10 mins) and Dockyard will fill the rest of your day. Take the Ferry back to town.

(4) See above I wasnt impressed with St Davids Lighthouse only do it if you have lots of time.

Dave a bermudiful trip!

A few years ago I went to Bermuda to stay for a week. I took the bus EVERYWHERE and it is very easy. As a previous poster replied, just let the driver know where you are going and they will make sure that they stop for you. Crystal Caves was interesting and it really doesn't take long at all. If you have time, you should go to the Swizzle Inn. Have a great time.

This is alot of great information! We'll be on the NCL Dawn June 8 and are looking for some fun things to do on our own. We'll be in Bermuda for three days. We are traveling with family, one of which is my sight impaired Mom, so having concrete plans and ways to accomplish the plans are so helpful! Keep the information flowing and thank you!

Terri

I have an idea for you. Since your mother is sight impared, why not go to the Bermuda perfumery where she can enjoy the fragrances of the perfumes being created with local plants and flowers right there. They are beautiful and they smell so good. I know that when I am back there in October, I am going for sure.

When I researched a Bermuda cruise a couple of years ago some ships docked both in St George and Hamilton, but I understand no one docks in Hamilton now, just St George or King's Wharf.

My old information said that you bought the day or two day passes in Hamilton. Now that no one docks there, can you buy them in St George? or do they possibly have a kiosk near the ship?

I also read on the website for the bus/ferry schedules that they no longer take cash, so does this mean that one must take a cab from St George to Hamilton to buy the tickets? Surely not!

Anyone who has done this when docking in St George, and after they stopped taking cash, please let me know how one goes about this. Thanks

We have always bought our bus passes in St George. A 3 day pass is $28 and a 2 day pass is $20. The tickets are sold at the Visitors Center located in Cafe Latte/Cyber Cafe. The bus pass is also good for the ferry as well. It is really the best was to get around the island. Any more questions just ask.

I don't plan to book any excursions through NCL. I have never used a public transportation system before, so I have many questions.

Personally, I don't think St David's Lighthouse is worth it all by itself, unless you're into short lighthouses that you can't climb. The view from the base is beautiful, but the nearby St David's Battery offers a far more breathtaking view. Tell the bus drver you want to get off at the St David's Cricket Club. From there it's a 10 minute meander up the hill to the right of the club up to the fort. You could probably do this first thing in the morning and stop at Crystal Caves on your way to Hamilton. I've never seen a map that shows each bus stop, but most of the major attractions will have a stop right outside, unless it's not on a bus route, like Gibb's Hill Lighthouse. The buses take cash, but only exact fare in coins, no paper money, so it's a lot cheaper and convenient to get the unlimited pass, and be sure to say good morning/afternoon to the driver. This helps him to remember where you wanted to get off.

I like to think the bus rides in Bermuda are a shore excursion in their own right with friendly drivers and winding road adventures.

Some Bermuda bound folks I know have purchased day bus passes on eBay in advance of their cruises, although we have never done so.

I'm going to miss docking at Hamilton, but I'd take a tender from mid-Atlantic just to visit this beautiful place again. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd never have thought of that!

Any of you know if there is an expiration date on the passes, or are they just activated the first day you step aboard a ferry or bus? My only experience with this sort of thing is in New Orleans where you may buy them ahead.

1) ARE THE PASSES DATED? That's what I'd need to know before using eBay.

2) Also, my DH has some back pain and I'm wondering if the ferry would be a smoother ride for him than the bus. We can always pack a cushion for him if you advise it's not too comfy! Thanks

Archived